• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were both made as bespoke samples to showcase some of his possibilities. I recall him saying that the waist for the blue one was made really thin and borderline impractical.

The jet black sole on the black/burgundy one was finished in a method he said was inspired by Japanese lacquer (urushi), by applying and polishing layers after layers. Very pretty indeed but again not so practical for wearing lol
The urushi leather is fun. I spoke to some suppliers about using it, but it's really expensive and apparently doesn't have any positive features about it apart from being urushi and a great texture. Maybe you've heard otherwise?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The urushi leather is fun. I spoke to some suppliers about using it, but it's really expensive and apparently doesn't have any positive features about it apart from being urushi and a great texture. Maybe you've heard otherwise?

Not too aware of urushi leather.

I’m pretty sure Main d’or’s soles use standard sole finishes and wax, just that he was inspired by the meticulous method of urushi application.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too aware of urushi leather.

I’m pretty sure Main d’or’s soles use standard sole finishes and wax, just that he was inspired by the meticulous method of urushi application.
Think I remember seeing you post about Quadrifoglia (or w e the name is) some years ago.
The leather is finished like urushi, apparently. Surprisingly soft though.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a relative bargain. will he do any trunk shows in NYC??
I remember reading somewhere (maybe shoegazing's blog) that he doesn't do trunk shows. If you want Main d'or you'll need to fly to Japan for everything. I'm not even sure he does trunk shows in Japan. That's probably how he keeps his cost relatively low.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's his bespoke pricing in USD now?

I believe it’s still 290,000 jpy, or $2600 usd

He raised prices a bit 1,5 year ago or so, all the way from JPY 290,000 to JPY 300,000... :)

a relative bargain. will he do any trunk shows in NYC??

I remember reading somewhere (maybe shoegazing's blog) that he doesn't do trunk shows. If you want Main d'or you'll need to fly to Japan for everything. I'm not even sure he does trunk shows in Japan. That's probably how he keeps his cost relatively low.

He doesn't do trunk shows no. He already has about 2-2,5 years delivery time on new orders, and have stopped taking new customers since last year, to get the waiting time down a bit. Since he spends so much efforts on the fitting shoes (especially second fitting), it takes a lot more time with new customers.

Regarding his contest shoe who ended up in 3rd place in the world champs, here's two pics (will post much more later on on Shoegazing, when I review all contest shoes. A couple of pics of top three in this article):

DSC07261.jpg

DSC07276.jpg

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marquess, Shoji

Agree with above, great film! But I missed his smile :)

Another small "mini-documentary" has been made by Japanese public service company NHK about shoe shiner Yuya Hasegawa, who won the first World Championships in Shoe Shining. Can be viewed here (also with english subs).

chifromdachi

Reaction score
I suppose some of us have already seen the results for the shoemaking competition at London the other week.
Our old pal Eiji Murata, aka Main d`or scored the 3rd place, which I suppose is a reason to celebrate.
I don`t have the 3rd place shoe in hand (which I will, during the world tour that pit stops at our store)
but I do have some of his more adventurous bespoke sample shoes (that we recently took some glamour shots of). Enjoy!

View attachment 1153000
View attachment 1153001
View attachment 1153002

View attachment 1153003
View attachment 1153004
View attachment 1153005
View attachment 1153006
View attachment 1153007
Drools...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality aside, I’d love to have a pair of Marquess made just for that smile. So refreshing to see someone who so obviously adores his craft

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads