• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A Visit to Tetsujiya, Tokyo

Shoemaker Ueda Tetsuji started his career designing shoes for Regal Corporation, and then knocked on the doors of Mannina in Firenze, Italy, spending 2 years as an apprentice. He opened his own atelier/shop at the present location (in the posh Ginza district) 8 years ago, and quickly set himself apart from the rest.

His collection features lots of big welts (Norvegese etc...) . He also favors Blake constructed shoes as a comfortable and relatively inexpensive option, esp. for 1st time clients (in the ¥40K range + ¥35K or so for the last) . Fascinatingly, he avoids welted shoes altogether ("the market is already saturated with them"), though he can do it if requested. His repertoire also includes sneakers and hiking boots, reflecting his motto of making bespoke shoes for every occasion.

Bespoke shoes for every occasion

A sturdy pair of full brogues with his signature Norvegese welt.

Red apron derby with chains.

Bespoke hiking boots with really big welts.

Blake constructed Sneakers in veg tanned leather from Himeji. The tan color looks quite beautiful, and should age gracefully.

Crane origami made from the same Himeji veg tanned leather. They look impossibly thin.

My thanks to Ueda-san (Tetsujiya)
HP: www.tetsujiya.com
interesting though I doubt few on SF would appreciate his toe styling

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

interesting though I doubt few on SF would appreciate his toe styling

Except Bettanin lovers and aficionados of the big welt thread!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Big welt - yes sometimes. Huge square chisel - hell no. Ugly is ugly, even when it's well-made ugly. ;)

bamboo

Reaction score
I confess. I found brogue one above attractive. No not for office. Even for casual, I am afraid people ask me what I am wearing, that is the only problem.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen Tetsujiya's other works (from his portfolio folder), and he is definitely capable of making shoes in other styles (like round toes :))
However, he says for now (this year), he will continue to concentrate on this direction (big welt shoes), and perhaps introduce a collection of welted shoes in near future.

Big Square Toe + Big Welt shoes seem to have a steady following in Japan (Bettanin, Brancchini etc...), and from my impression, he's trying to fill in that demand from the Bespoke side.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very interesting last for monkey/hiking boots!!

I like his lasts. Casual and not #menswear. Actually not sure how Il Micio fares on this forum with its always distinctive last and pattern.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ps: The leather soles on these MTO shoes are not bevel edged.

I'm really torn between the leather soles and the dainite soles. What's your take? Is it common for people over in Japan to opt for Dainite soles? I'm very hard on my shoes!

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's a very interesting last for monkey/hiking boots!!

Actually not sure how Il Micio fares on this forum with its always distinctive last and pattern.

Yeah, some of Il Micio's sample were impossibly sharp and sleek (well,they are sample shoes.....), but they indeed looked distinctive (and quite impressive).
His shoes definitely aren't well represented here on the forum. I also flipped through a hardcover catalog of Il Micio, was quite tempted to tuck it in my shirt......

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm really torn between the leather soles and the dainite soles. What's your take? Is it common for people over in Japan to opt for Dainite soles? I'm very hard on my shoes!

Apparently rubber soles are quite popular in Japan, even for high priced shoes. Just a matter of practicality in a humid country.

I would prefer going with leather soles to match the smooth leather upper. The leather soles aren't too fancy, and in a sense looks quite practical. But then I rarely wear dress/oxford shoes to commute/work, so my situation/preference may be different from you.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would love to order some insane patina shoes from Imai Hiroki, does he come to the us?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

would love to order some insane patina shoes from Imai Hiroki, does he come to the us?

Unfortunately, no. I'm sure he gets plenty of inquiries, so I assume he knows there are plenty of potential customers overseas.....

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will suggest to stick with HAF sole, I find Dainite last just as long as my leather sole. Hell, I like wearing my St Cripins in the rain.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apparently rubber soles are quite popular in Japan, even for high priced shoes. Just a matter of practicality in a humid country.

I would prefer going with leather soles to match the smooth leather upper. The leather soles aren't too fancy, and in a sense looks quite practical. But then I rarely wear dress/oxford shoes to commute/work, so my situation/preference may be different from you.

All the polished floors in Shinjuku station and other places play havoc with me when I wear leather soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics