• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interested in some hippo and elephant belts. is this available? Nutcracker - can you help?

I assume you don`t want those generic ones sold online and in department stores, but some NICE ones.

I know for sure that Fugee and Ortus can make them for you. They work with both hippo and elephant leathers and they also offer custom belts. However they don`t come cheap....

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hiro Yanagimachi MTO Order Fair 5/18~6/2

Held every Spring and Fall (so twice a year) at the workshop, the Pattern Order Fair offers a generous ¥30,000 discount ($300 USD) off the regular price of ¥140K~¥170K for Hiro Yanagimachi MTO shoes. Styles are limited to 5 staple models, and leather choices are also limited to 5 (with 1 suede). A great opportunity if you`re looking for some staple shoes of lasting quality.

Hiro Yanagimachi MTO shoes are hand lasted and handsewn welted. Lead time is 3 months (instead of regular 6 months)

Punched captoes in a classic shape. Top grade Weinheimer box calf. ¥131,250 ($1340 USD)

This pair is tempting me. Could this be my Dover killer? ¥141,750 ($1446 USD)

5 staple models plus 5 leather choices

www.hiroyanagimachi.com

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I assume you don`t want those generic ones sold online and in department stores, but some NICE ones.

I know for sure that Fugee and Ortus can make them for you. They work with both hippo and elephant leathers and they also offer custom belts. However they don`t come cheap....

quanto? can you get some details on these?

and PS - those shoes are not Dover killers.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a decent price. SC PRET is cheaper although SC doesn't have an actual maker doing the last customization.

Dover has better aesthetics but this pair has much better construction.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

quanto? can you get some details on these?

Sorry, Fugee does watch belts that start from ¥47,000. Though I`m sure they can do belts too.
Ortus should cost similar to Fugee (i.e. expensive)

I listed these two because I know they work with hippo and elephant. I can ask them for you, once I return to Japan this weekend.

and PS - those shoes are not Dover killers.

No? Here is a close up of the shoe. Looks good?

That's a decent price. SC PRET is cheaper although SC doesn't have an actual maker doing the last customization.

Dover has better aesthetics but this pair has much better construction.

I`m thinking these would be more comfortable, being handsewn welted, and hopefully made with better attention to detail. They are priced roughly same with a Dover w/Top Drawer finish.
To be honest, I`m a sucker for anything on sale (these are roughly 20% off regular MTO price) so I might drop by the show to check them out.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SC is hand sewn welted as well. They won't need to peg the waist if its squared not beveled.

BTW, who are the shoe tree makers that knows how to make hollowed travel trees? It seems the guy making them in UK retired and G&G wasn't able to find an replacement...

Not sure about the French tree maker for JL/Delos; hopefully he's still around.

SC is the only company I know that has hollowed travel trees nowadays...

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SC is hand sewn welted as well. They won't need to peg the waist if its squared not beveled.

BTW, who are these shoe tree makers that knows how to make hollowed travel trees? It seems the guy making them in UK retired and G&G wasn't able to find an replacement...

Not sure about the French tree maker for JL/Delos; hopefully he's still around.

SC is the only company I know that has hollowed travel trees nowadays...

SPIGOLA`s hinged shoe trees in production at MOU, a cabinet maker in Kobe

The bottom of the trees are hollowed, but I do not recall them going through the other side like SC trees. Maybe some other member has a picture of the underside.
Il Quadrifoglio`s new hinged shoes look quite similar, he said they are made by a local last maker.

SC trees really are something.

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
SC Hollow trees are definitely worth the money, the thinniest part is no more than 3mm thick ....someone needs to catch a flight to Brasov (Romania) and track down this dude who's making them for SC......

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
If these are the same price as the Dover, than it's worth the money...... The guys that does the stitching of the Dover apron-like upper can command a hefty premium.......

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If these are the same price as the Dover, than it's worth the money......The guys that does the stitching of the Dover apron-like upper can command a hefty premium.......

Up close shot of Hiro`s apron stitches. Very clean.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
Agree - and the toe shape my kind of last too....will post a pic of my 82 Last Dover this evening.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SC Hollow trees are definitely worth the money, the thinniest part is no more than 3mm thick ....someone needs to catch a flight to Brasov (Romania) and track down this dude who's making them for SC......

Do you know much those SC trees are, if purchase seperatly?

Spigola MTO`s hinged shoe trees, which are admittedly not as nice as SC`s, still commands a hefty price. I think they`re over ¥30,000, or $300 USD. Perhaps even more. I also heard that they don`t make money out of it at all. That is pretty much how much they pay the craftsmen for them.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
I was quoted back in 2012 by Ascot Shoes:

1) €70 for the normal trees....

2) €100 for the hollow ones....

Extremely good value......

If Spigola trees are costing $300 USD and he claiming there hardly any profit, I won't be surprised given the raw cost of material & labour is relatively higher than Romania.

Vass has the same supply issues with their tree supplier in Hungary.
This is a major problem if you have "key man" dependencies on certain
aspect of the shoe making process....guess this risk applies to all industry.

Last edited:

BespokeMakers

Reaction score

SPIGOLA`s hinged shoe trees in production at MOU, a cabinet maker in Kobe

The bottom of the trees are hollowed, but I do not recall them going through the other side like SC trees. Maybe some other member has a picture of the underside.
Il Quadrifoglio`s new hinged shoes look quite similar, he said they are made by a local last maker.

SC trees really are something.
Sorry....I have only these pictures.

Perhaps...not digged

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads