• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What Japanese RTW is stock oversea? joe worker, Corno Blu used to but no longer, YF’s RTW is a pricing league on its own, and that’s about all I can think of readily available Japanese RTW for non Japanese speaker?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment. As you say there will always be someone willing to charge less in Japan.

Customers from abroad seem to be increasing, so there is a market. Enough to feed ~100 makers? I'm not sure. Some seem to be better than others at establishing an own identity with a following.

I would agree that relative to comparative bespoke makers the Japanese shoemakers offer a phenomenal deal. Considering the level of craftsmanship you are able to receive at the available price point, the Japanese shoe market undervalue themselves.

Which is why I have stated many times that I consider Japanese shoes the best value available anywhere in the world.

Now when you have this breadth of high level talent, marketing and brand differentiation is the only way to standout. In this regard, Fukuda is on another level. From the photography to the availability of RTW shoes, the perception his name/brand carries is something many makers (regardless of country origin) should aspire to emulate.

Because of the association luxury and Fukuda are synonymous for, it hampers better talents.
So a prospective buyer, because of Fukuda's reputation, immediately believes he/she is receiving a superior product from Fukuda. This is despite the other maker potentially producing a better product at a justifiably higher price (e.g. Wataru Shimamoto or Kiyo Uda).

That said, to potentially tackle the notion of raising prices yielding tangible results (sales), I believe the market will accept a higher price if the maker has an association of quality and luxury attached to their brand. Two men immediately come to mind that could raise prices and retain their customer base. Be the flag bearers of escalating prices. Those men would be Yohei Fukuda and Eiji Murata.

Fukuda for obvious reasons.

Murata produces a shoe (based both on his photography and ones taken by his clients.. JESPER!) that are breathtaking. The level of craftsmanship is almost incomparable. Moreover, there is an exclusivity to his shoes. Customers of a higher economic status have this belief that waiting 3 years to receive a pair of shoes equates to an unattainable item worthy of its price tag due to a lack of availability. The golden fruit if you will.

Wataru Shimamoto can place whatever value he believes his shoes are worth (merited or not). Will he receive the customer base he craves at that price ??‍♂️. If someone told you that Yohei Fukuda was charging $6000+ for a pair of shoes and you showed them the pictures of his shoes. If you told that person to google the name Yohei Fukuda, I would venture to guess most would presume that high price was acceptable to even expected. A well earned reputation still holds a lot of weight.

Can Japanese makers raise prices and sell shoes? IMO, only certain ones can. Sadly (and IMO), Wataru Shimamoto is not one of those people.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, the OP's initial query is an excellent talking point. Excellent because it reveals untapped market potential. A Japanese shoe made to a very high standard utilizing top tier components with the possibility of upgrading to MTM in the $1000-$2000 price segment. @Stefan88 I hope you are taking notes ?.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... Accessible in my home country Singapore through a retailer. Hoping to grab one that's hard to acquire elsewhere

I know an up and coming shoemaker who can actually meet with you in Japan (Japanese trained) and is based out of Singapore. A contributor to this thread as well. @thatshoeotaku.

thatshoeotaku

Reaction score
I know an up and coming shoemaker who can actually meet with you in Japan (Japanese trained) and is based out of Singapore. A contributor to this thread as well. @thatshoeotaku.
@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes thanks for the mention!

@Noirkw did we perhaps meet at Yeossal the other day?

Anyway without giving away too much since I have yet to officially launch the bespoke shoemaking side of things, here's one of my samples right before delasting.

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_134543.jpg
    IMG_20200916_134543.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 202

Noirkw

Reaction score

Anyway without giving away too much since I have yet to officially launch the bespoke shoemaking side of things, here's one of my samples right before delasting.

Hmm I think we did. I was there to purchase the last pair of AMs from Eugene and Alex. Were you the gentleman showing his work?

thatshoeotaku

Reaction score
Hmm I think we did. I was there to purchase the last pair of AMs from Eugene and Alex. Were you the gentleman showing his work?

Yup that was me.

Look for Ken from Siroenoyosui, I think he can do a MTM/bespoke style shoe for your budget. Speaks English well too.

Noirkw

Reaction score
Looks like the only choice then is to stretch the budget and go bespoke! I hope the OP makes the correct choice and posts pictures of his commission.
?. That's a substantial stretch. To double the budget!
Probably best to either try his luck with Atsushi, or head on over to the WFG as mentioned.

Can probably expand the search and go outside of Tokyo, but then you are burdened with traveling (possibly multiple times) which would increase costs. On a positive note, it is relatively inexpensive to travel around Japan ??.

That is a long streeeeeeetch ?

I've made an appointment at Santari in the first week of November. They are doing an exhibition in Dec but advised me it may be too late. And Nov would be perfect.

Yup that was me.

Look for Ken from Siroenoyosui, I think he can do a MTM/bespoke style shoe for your budget. Speaks English well too.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look. Looking forward to your launch.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, the OP's initial query is an excellent talking point. Excellent because it reveals untapped market potential. A Japanese shoe made to a very high standard utilizing top tier components with the possibility of upgrading to MTM in the $1000-$2000 price segment. @Stefan88 I hope you are taking notes ?.
Hah!
Already have orders coming through the pipeline with Santari in my new business. I think the price vs quality ratio of my offering is very good, and the clients have thus far been super happy
If I had started up a month earlier, I'd have a couple more ?

A lot of fun to offer something really unique, and taking clients through the process. My clients have such great ideas for new patterns and combinations that it's very rewarding to work with.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Japanese RTW is stock oversea? joe worker, Corno Blu used to but no longer, YF’s RTW is a pricing league on its own, and that’s about all I can think of readily available Japanese RTW for non Japanese speaker?
Miyagi Kogyo is available in Norway. I'll be working with them too, but mostly for work boots. Can arrange group orders for it. Especially the 103 (Norwegian split toe) and the 108 (chukka) has been popular.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of economy. Has anyone any news on the status of the Japanese tailoring/shoes bussiness during these trying times? I for example noticed Kamakura shirts closing down their NY shop.

I posted this on DWW thread. I imagine tailors are struggling all over if they don’t have low rents or backed by a giant conglomerate/billionaire.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree that relative to comparative bespoke makers the Japanese shoemakers offer a phenomenal deal. Considering the level of craftsmanship you are able to receive at the available price point, the Japanese shoe market undervalue themselves.

Which is why I have stated many times that I consider Japanese shoes the best value available anywhere in the world.

Now when you have this breadth of high level talent, marketing and brand differentiation is the only way to standout. In this regard, Fukuda is on another level. From the photography to the availability of RTW shoes, the perception his name/brand carries is something many makers (regardless of country origin) should aspire to emulate.

Because of the association luxury and Fukuda are synonymous for, it hampers better talents.
So a prospective buyer, because of Fukuda's reputation, immediately believes he/she is receiving a superior product from Fukuda. This is despite the other maker potentially producing a better product at a justifiably higher price (e.g. Wataru Shimamoto or Kiyo Uda).

That said, to potentially tackle the notion of raising prices yielding tangible results (sales), I believe the market will accept a higher price if the maker has an association of quality and luxury attached to their brand. Two men immediately come to mind that could raise prices and retain their customer base. Be the flag bearers of escalating prices. Those men would be Yohei Fukuda and Eiji Murata.

Fukuda for obvious reasons.

Murata produces a shoe (based both on his photography and ones taken by his clients.. JESPER!) that are breathtaking. The level of craftsmanship is almost incomparable. Moreover, there is an exclusivity to his shoes. Customers of a higher economic status have this belief that waiting 3 years to receive a pair of shoes equates to an unattainable item worthy of its price tag due to a lack of availability. The golden fruit if you will.

Wataru Shimamoto can place whatever value he believes his shoes are worth (merited or not). Will he receive the customer base he craves at that price ??‍♂️. If someone told you that Yohei Fukuda was charging $6000+ for a pair of shoes and you showed them the pictures of his shoes. If you told that person to google the name Yohei Fukuda, I would venture to guess most would presume that high price was acceptable to even expected. A well earned reputation still holds a lot of weight.

Can Japanese makers raise prices and sell shoes? IMO, only certain ones can. Sadly (and IMO), Wataru Shimamoto is not one of those people.

Agree with most here!

Regarding the last thing, not at this stake, but with better pictures and brand building, perhaps.

Looking good!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely!
I didn't realize you hadn't launched yet. I figured the return trip back to Japan was launching time, unless the return trip has yet to happen ?.

When launch time does occur, I know a guy who can help and hinder. Help you with a little exposure and name dropping. Hinder us because you will be delayed and raise prices.

@j ingevaldsson would be the guy. It is because of him and that damn site of his I can't even look at a pair of Eiji Murata shoes due to wait time. ?

Ken Kataoka? I thought he was like $2000+. Good deal if you can pick them up at the $1500 mark ??.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely!
I didn't realize you hadn't launched yet. I figured the return trip back to Japan was launching time, unless the return trip has yet to happen ?.

When launch time does occur, I know a guy who can help and hinder. Help you with a little exposure and name dropping. Hinder us because you will be delayed and raise prices.

@j ingevaldsson would be the guy. It is because of him and that damn site of his I can't even look at a pair of Eiji Murata shoes due to wait time. ?

Ken Kataoka? I thought he was like $2000+. Good deal if you can pick them up at the $1500 mark ??.

Haha I'm always at service ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads