• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear experts, I've recently moved to Tokyo for business and very interested to get my first pair of decent Japanese shoe.

Unfortunately, I'm still a junior exec and cannot afford a bespoke service (definitely sometime in the future!) but don't want to miss this opportunity. I'm currently looking at the more affordable MTM options. I have around 1/2 year in Japan.

I've browsed through the first page but noticed most of the bespoke makers bar a few don't show MTM options.

Would appreciate if someone could recommend a maker around Tokyo but I'm more than willing to travel elsewhere! Thank you!
JOE Works Shoemaker does MTM if you can visit their factory, probably around $600-$700 range.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear experts, I've recently moved to Tokyo for business and very interested to get my first pair of decent Japanese shoe.

Unfortunately, I'm still a junior exec and cannot afford a bespoke service (definitely sometime in the future!) but don't want to miss this opportunity. I'm currently looking at the more affordable MTM options. I have around 1/2 year in Japan.

I've browsed through the first page but noticed most of the bespoke makers bar a few don't show MTM options.

Would appreciate if someone could recommend a maker around Tokyo but I'm more than willing to travel elsewhere! Thank you!
Spigola has MTO - I think his name is Kenji Suzuki. and my favorite Japanese bespoke is bolero relatively affordable I'd say:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spigola has MTO - I think his name is Kenji Suzuki. and my favorite Japanese bespoke is bolero relatively affordable I'd say:

Bolero your favorite you say.. One of mines as well. Two pairs of shoes in. This is the second. No clue where the first ones are, although to be honest it is the same shoe but in dark brown ?.
Screenshot_20200412-170704_Instagram.jpg

@Noirkw what's the budget for the shoes?

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Check out Santari in Asakusa. Price range from ~100 000 yen for handwelted

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he said ☝.
?

Price might be a little bit higher than what I noted. 10-20000 yen, I'm guessing. He has a lot of options for handstitched waist and adaptions to last and so on too, so think it's possible to get a pair close to bespoke at a good price point.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?

Price might be a little bit higher than what I noted. 10-20000 yen, I'm guessing. He has a lot of options for handstitched waist and adaptions to last and so on too, so think it's possible to get a pair close to bespoke at a good price point.

What he said ☝...again.

I have seen the quality and finishing first hand. Definitely would not be disappointed at this price point.

Noirkw

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestion!

I'm looking at around 1000 usd but can stretch to 1500. I'll head down to Santari as that's well within budget. I dropped a note to Spigoli to inquire on prices.

Joe Works looks great but readily accessible in my home country Singapore through a retailer. Hoping to grab one that's hard to acquire elsewhere

Noirkw

Reaction score

Just checked Bolero and noticed they are running a trunk show in Tokyo next week. Perfect timing!

Bolero your favorite you say.. One of mines as well. Two pairs of shoes in. This is the second. No clue where the first ones are, although to be honest it is the same shoe but in dark brown ?.
View attachment 1483330

@Noirkw what's the budget for the shoes?

I am looking at 1000 to 1500. Will check Bolero!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just checked Bolero and noticed they are running a trunk show in Tokyo next week. Perfect timing!

I am looking at 1000 to 1500. Will check Bolero!

Bolero will be substantially more than that. Probably about $2300 for MTO and more for MTM. I think Yuigo Hayano could be less than that ($1900). I'd wager he would be closer to $2100 at this point. Koji Suzuki will be +$2000, and more for MTM.

Your best bet would be Santari at that price, as he would offer the best bang for your buck. I would suggest if you wanted domestic guys that produce high end shoes try your luck over at the World Footwear Gallery in Ginza. At least, there you can ask about pricing, and potentially run into a trunk show from unknown (to the outside world that is) makers.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bolero will be substantially more than that. Probably about $2300 for MTO and more for MTM. I think Yuigo Hayano could be less than that ($1900). I'd wager he would be closer to $2100 at this point. Koji Suzuki will be +$2000, and more for MTM.

Your best bet would be Santari at that price, as he would offer the best bang for your buck. I would suggest if you wanted domestic guys that produce high end shoes try your luck over at the World Footwear Gallery in Ginza. At least, there you can ask about pricing, and potentially run into a trunk show from unknown (to the outside world that is) makers.

I agree. The regular bespoke makers will be wonderful, but a little out of your price range and long delivery time.
Santari can probably push it down to 3-5 months depending on leather. Another option is Hiro Yanagimachi on one of his trunk shows at WFG. Think 1500 USD is possible at one of those.
Send me a DM if you want to get in touch with Atsushi.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Yuigo Hayano could be less than that ($1900). I'd wager he would be closer to $2100 at this point.
As far as know, in fact pretty sure, as I have a pair of Bespoke shoe works (the name of Yuigo Hayano`s brand), he does bespoke only, and is around Yen 330,000 and would take a year or more with multiple fittings.

The advantage with Yohei Fukuda, Yanagimachi and Seiji McCarthy is that they all have fitting shoes - quite important at that price point you are looking to spend, but all these might be above the $2000 mark. Fiorinne (I cant get the spelling correct) is below $2000 I believe. The World Footwear Gallery, especially in Ginza Six, used to stock his MTM, and I believe he now shares a place with a cobbler in Naka Meguro. Ando and Barbavitra might be worth asking if they can turn around a MTM, take a look at their websites or Instagram. There is a rumor Seiji has already moved to his own place, and is no longer at the World Footwear Gallery in Jingumae, but thats not on his Instagram, so unsure of his whereabouts. He used to be under $2000 fr a MTM, but had heard he hiked prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads