1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

2.5x. And we have the innovations of Nike, Underarmour and Lululemon!!!

Majorities of Japanese companies still require suit and tie as the uniform so the demand for menswear is still high.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I think the formality of the workplace in the USA is dropping, while Japan still adheres to the business suit and tie. Thus, more demand, and more interest in specialized shoes.

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I've written so before, but here it goes again: I feel Japanese cordwainers have surpassed their English and Italian teachers. There is so much fine health to be pulled from these chiseled, contoured, through-and-through finished pieces. Based on photos alone, my favourite in Japan is Marquess whose chiseled toe is finer than what I've seen on some Tuczeks.

Why buy a Rembrandt you can only ogle at home when you can invest in a pair of Marquess, which will walk with you anywhere you go?

2 people like this.
  4. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the level of craftsmanship (and also aesthetics) among Japanese cordwainers is undoubtedly high, and some (yes, Marquess) are truly exceptional. Yet I still think the Japanese have a lot to learn from their successful English (and also continental) senior counterparts. Taking extra time to make beautiful shoes by oneself is one thing, but being able to translate that into sustainable (and growing/successful) business is another, and arguably as difficult.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  5. BespokeMakers

BespokeMakers Senior member

NC,Thank you for your help.

1 person likes this.
  6. BespokeMakers

BespokeMakers Senior member

Betelgeuse,I agree.
    Would you like to see more shoes? 
    Please use this as reference.
    http://ilquadrifoglio.tumblr.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Lululemon is Canadian, thanks very much! Woo-hoo, go Canada!

(err, actually Canada has approximately one bespoke shoemaker that I know of...)

8. bozzkeren

bozzkeren Senior member

Hi NC,
    If i'm not mistaken you made bespoke with Il Quadrifoglio at their trunk show right?
    Do you have several fittings with them? or did they send you the trial shoes?
    Thanks

9. nutcracker

Yes they have one fitting session with trial shoes, I did it on location at the World Footwear Gallery (where they host the show)

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

11. nutcracker

Shoes Blessing Festival, 11/23~11/24 @ Tamahime Inari Shrine, Tokyo

Located in Asakusa, Tokyo, the Tamahime Inari Shrine is the patron shrine for the countless of shoemakers and related businesses that surround the area. During the annual 'Shoe Blessing Festival' (Sat 23 ~ Sun 24 this year), a Thanksgiving for Shoes' of sorts, local shoe manufacturers, together with the local community, show their gratitude with plenty of noise and festivities. For anyone residing here in Tokyo, and also for those currently visiting Tokyo, this should be a fascinating event to participate in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Old, worn out shoes (brought in by the owners) are given proper appreciation for completing their duties.... prayers are offered at a memorial service.

[​IMG]
    Shoe shaped shrines on the march!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Leather shoes/bags/wears made by the local manufacturers are offered for 60%~90% off!!!

[​IMG]
    Coinciding with the festival..... An attempt to shatter the World Record for a Simulaneous Shoeshine! (currently held by the United Arab Emirates).... 800+ people are anticipated to show up to the event to shine their shoes together.

Image courtesy of the Official Homepage for the event

2 people like this.
  12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Man...

So awesome for having world class local bespoke makers...

13. nutcracker

... and the result for the Shoe Shine Challenge that happened today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Readyyy~~ Go!

[​IMG]
    Waiting for the result....

[​IMG]
    World Recooord!! approved by the Guinness World Records :D

well... the result was a given, considering the event mobilised 800+ people (way over the previous record of 451 ppl). Still, must have been a fun event!

Video

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Official Home Page

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. FlyingMonkey

Oh, wow, I am there - this is just down the road from me, but I am racing tomorrow out in Kanagawa (Warrior Dash Japan!), so I'll try to pop by on Sunday...

15. nutcracker

I just saw a youtube clip on Warrior Dash.... looks pretty crazy :D
    Have fun and be safe :fonz:

16. nutcracker

Central & Miyagi Kogyo MTO Order Fair 11/16 (Sat) ~12/1 (Sun) @ World Footwear Gallery

Central and Miyagi Kogyo, two of the highest regarded shoe factories in Japan, each have their own high end RTW line that are offered exclusively at the WFG. Tokyo. The ongoing Pattern Order (MTO) Fair offers a rare opportunity to order any of them from a variety of leathers and soles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Central Shoes: MTO price starts from ¥59,800 yen. Aside from the standard French calfskin (Annonay), a variety of textured leathers and pull up leathers are offered. Single soles with fiddle waists are standard, and could be opted for spade or double soles.

[​IMG]
    Central's collection is distinguished by its sharp lasts with chiseled toes.

[​IMG]
    Nice looking boots.

[​IMG]
    Miyagi Kogyo RTW shoes: 6 models, 14 leathers (including Shinki Cordovan) to choose from. MTO price starts from ¥58,800.

[​IMG]
    Double monks in Calf (center), and Shinki Cordovan (left and right)

from World Footwear Gallery

1 person likes this.
  17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

WOW! Those two dubmonks boots are insane!

1 person likes this.
  18. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

19. FlyingMonkey

The shoe-blessing festival was as quirky as you might have expected: as shakuhachi flutes and taiko drums played in the background, piles of crappy old shoes were handed over to be burned, and piles of crappy new ones were being sold! This was some distance away from the super bespoke of nutcracker's posts down at the bottom end of the RTW market. Fun, though, and nice weather for it...

1 person likes this.
  20. nutcracker

That sounds like good ol' fun! The youtube video I linked above (the shoe shine event) had kids' marching band performing right before the start. :lol:

The vast majority of shoe manufacturers in Asakusa aren't high end at all, but most of them (that have survived) have been operating for a very long time, and I'm sure there is a good amount of community spirit and pride that ties them together...

1 person likes this.