1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?
    [​IMG]

2. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Well, not quite. The CPs look like these:

[​IMG]

But I'd be happy to get them from another brand as long they have the same simple sneaker look.

3. Pelotonia

Pelotonia Well-Known Member

I probably have not had any luck so far but all my shoes were taxed and "caught" so far. Every single pair of them.

In my experience, yes, all of them. Might have not been lucky though. I know a colleague of mine who bought a pair of CJ and was not taxed. But I only purchase only one item, so that might be my problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Thanks for the info, Pelotonia. Could you let me know if the tax was a percentage of the price or if it was a flat fee?

5. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

Anyone know a retailer for japanese cordovan? Tried contacting the tannery directly, and was told they're not accepting anymore customers.

6. Pelotonia

I do not remember exactly. I believe that if the value of the pair exceeded some sum it was the sum x 0.06 for duties and then sum x 0.05 for consumption tax. But if it were under that sum it was a flat sum or 30% whatever was higher

http://www.customs.go.jp/tariff/2008_4/data/64.htm This is the list, but I cannot make any sense of it since I do not know which classifies under which.

7. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

I can read kanji and the pic of the Otsuka above says it's "used by royal family" ?
    Whats the story behind this?

8. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

^^ Thanks. I've also looked at that list but, like you, I couldn't figure out which classification a leather sneaker with a rubber sole would fall under.

I've ordered running and cycling shoes before and they were not taxed. But that could be because they were not made of leather uppers. Oh well. . .

9. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, you are close on that, and I myself have to edit what I mentioned earlier. The correct way to calculate tax from buying shoes overseas should be as follows:

The infamous 30% import tax applies to distributors and importers, and is added on the wholesale price. (ie ¥10,000 X .3 = ¥3,000 tax)

As consumers who purchase shoes at retail price (from overseas), we only get taxed for the 'wholesale price' of the items purchased oversea, and somehow that is defined as 60% of the retail price. Calculate the "wholesale price' by multiplying the retail value by 0.6 (60%). Then we multiply that with 30% (import tax) (¥10,000 X 0.6 X 0.3 = ¥1,800 tax). So its more like 18% instead of 30%.

Thats not it. The minimum amount of import tax we have to pay is ¥4,300 JPY. So basically any shoes with retail value under ¥23,300 or so (that you have delivered from oversea), you have to pay ¥4300. Anything over ¥23,300 or so, the above formula applies. Whichever is higher.

I think the above applies to leather sneakers as well. If the shoes have any leather portion (i.e. canvas top but with leather sole), then you are slapped with the tax. Please let me know if I got any of this wrong. I'm getting a headache....

1 person likes this.
  10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

^^Very helpful as always, NC! Thanks![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. nutcracker

Otsuka is the oldest shoemaker in Japan in operation, and is one of the very few with a royal warrant of sorts. Aside from their RTW operation (quite large), they have a dedicated team of bespoke craftsmen that continues to provide fine footwear for the Imperial family and other VIP patrons. Of course, you can have one for yourself for ¥315K. Otsuka has a shoe museum near Yokohama, but a nice collection of their historical shoes can be seen and touched at their Roppongi showroom. Amazing stuffs.

12. barky

barky Senior member

Hi NC, any chance of you having documented the said shoes?

13. nutcracker

Yeah, I asked if I could, but was respectfully denied the permission to photograph them :violin:

14. nutcracker

Not many leather wholesalers deal through the internet, but I did mangage to find this one that carries Shinki Cordovan. They mainly sell in small sizes.

http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/japanleathers/page008.html Burgundy
    http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/japanleathers/page014.html Black
    http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/japanleathers/page015.html Chocolate
    http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/japanleathers/page055.html Black Oiled

15. Pelotonia

For a pair of leather sneakers purchased at 275$ from a US vendor, I paid in September a flat rate of 4,300 for a value of 8,820 (I do not not know how was calculated or what that sum represents), 520 consumption tax, 125 regional consumption tax, in total 4,945 yen.

BTW, if you are in Tokyo and look around, you would see a lot of people wearing CPs or MMMs. So, if you want to stand out, embrace another brand, is my suggestion.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  16. barky

barky Senior member

Thanks anyway.

17. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Sorry, can't help.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  18. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I've had about 50% caught.

19. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Well, I'm not really looking to stand out, which is why I'm trying to get a very simple white pair. I do know, however, that CPs and MMM GATs have become very popular these last few years.

I'm actually just replacing an old pair of white plain leather sneakers, which is why I'm trying to order another one from either CP or Kent Wang. I wish these sneakers could just be resoled.

20. nutcracker

Il Quadrifoglio Trunk Show @ WFG Kioicho, Tokyo 10/25~10/27

The talented duo of Il Quadrifoglio (Atsushi Qnai for shoes and Yuka Qnai for leather goods) will be there in person to take orders. Plenty of bespoke samples to gawk at, I would highly recommend anyone interested to visit and chat with the Qnai's. If you want to order, slots for bespoke appointments are still available (Friday is full though)

[​IMG]
    Full bespoke shoes (including shoe trees) priced from ¥231K JPY ($2350 USD).

[​IMG]
    Leather goods (coin case, card case, pen cases etc..) starting from ¥12K JPY ($122 USD)

Test shoes from the July Trunk Show (one of them in mine) :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

World Footwear Gallery
    Il Quadrifoglio HP

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    3 people like this.