1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised because you are giving them free publicity to an English speaking audience that they wouldn't have otherwise reached.

1 person likes this.
  2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

thank you nutcracker for all of your hard work

1 person likes this.
  3. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Oooo, the new MEN'S EX and MEN'S Precious are out today. Lots of pretty fall/winter clothes and shoes!

1 person likes this.
  4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I've never even seen MEN'S Precious before...

5. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Well-Known Member

6. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

They look very decent and reasonable value to me, and I think the pricing is actually below AE in Japan. I really don't know much about them except that I believe they are imported into Japan by a company called Life Gear, a subsidiary of The Mitsubishi Corp (they also own Trading Post I believe), so they are not made in Japan.

7. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

...I still feel PG should have at least mentioned the source for nutcracker's scanlations. Loaning is fine but it's only courteous to give credit where credit is due.

On another note, I don't remember reading about nutty's favourite Japanese cordwainers. There's much to choose from, but do you have favourites?

8. jasonmx3

The sales lady told me that the shoes are made in Japan. But she could just be saying that too. In any case, the finishing and detailing were very good -- definitely better than AE's. From what I saw, I would even say that the finishing is at par (or close) to C&Js.

And yeah, AEs in Japan are twice their US prices. When I said AE was cheaper, I was referring to US AE prices.

I just might go ahead and get a pair this weekend. Hopefully, they're really as well made as they (initially) appear to be.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Pics when you do.

10. nutcracker

Trading Post Originals are made by Central Shoes in Tokyo. The lasts were developed jointly by Trading Post and Central, and apparently they are inspired/modelled after English bespoke samples to look and fit as authentic as possible. The leathers are sourced from Italy.

Central Shoes makes Goodyear welted shoes in various price points (to their clients' needs), and I've only heard good words about them. Central also makes for Corno Blu, Sanyo Yamacho, and they also have their own collection (with their namesake) sold at the World Footwear Gallery. They are all a bit more expensive (vs TP Originals).

11. jasonmx3

Thanks, nutcracker. I now recall the sales lady also saying that their leather is sourced from Italy (but the shoes are made in Japan). She actually said that the craftsmanship involved in making their shoes are much better than most shoes in the same price point (US$400~). According to her, they are also fully recraftable (for about $130).

I'm going back to the store this weekend and would most likely get a pair. Hopefully their lasts fit me well.

Yup, definitely! [​IMG]

12. jasonmx3

I just remembered that I managed to get a picture during my last visit -- although it's a bit dark. Will try to take better ones this weekend.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. nutcracker

Nice! I've also heard that they are excellent for the price. Hopefully they will fit you well!

Is it the Trading Post Aoyama you went to? I recall they have some Dimitri Gomez and Besteti Handgrades in the store... worth to check them out!!

14. nutcracker

[​IMG]

More Japanese shoes in French!! Atlantico via Parisan Gentleman

Would have been interesting if they had sought out some Japanese shoemakers trained in France (or are still currently in France)

15. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Thanks nc

16. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've seen them irl, been tempted, they look very nice and good value.

17. nutcracker

Hiroshi Arai Trunk Show @ World Footwear Gallery 10/5~10/15

Hiroshi Arai is the mastermind behind the excellent Miyagi Kogyo RTW collection, also available in WFG. He launched his own MTO collection a couple of years ago, which are also made at the Miyagi Kogyo factory. Priced generously from ¥43,000 yen or so ($440). Available in a comprehensive lineup of lasts, models, materials, soles, and sizes, they are certainly some of the better MTO deals available in Japan, IMO.

Some of the more interesting MTO ideas:

[​IMG]
    Patine finishes are offered by the shoe colorist Yusche Ito, formerly from Corthay Paris.

[​IMG]
    Plaintoes in Blue Cordovan by Shinki Hikaku. Cordovans are ¥31500 extra.

[​IMG]
    Plaintoes in d.brown sealskin. Sealskins are ¥16,800 extra

[​IMG]
    Plaintoes in grey elephant hide, a ¥31,500 option. Not as expensive as I thought.

[​IMG]
    Saddle shoes in Red Cordovan by Shinki Hikaku.

[​IMG]
    Chukka in green Camelhide. Has a wonderful, consistent texture. No extra charge.

[​IMG]
    Sidelaces, patinated by Yusche Ito.

[​IMG]
    Brogues in Horween Chromexel and C.F.Stead Suede combo

[​IMG]
    Among my favorites. Penny loafer (also happens to be the same exact model/last as the Miyagi Kogyo RTW offering)

World Footwear Gallery
    H-Arai homepage

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    3 people like this.
  18. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

Bottega Tramoda. Daikanyama

19. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. daizawaguy