• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
talking about sales, United Arrows just released their SUMMER SALE schedule.

Sale starts 6/28 (stores + Amazon.co.jp store) Expect 30%+ off for Spring/Summer stuffs

UA Harajuku Men's Store, and The Sovereign House (Marunouchi) offers the best selection.

bozzkeren

Reaction score
hi, does anyone know which WFG carries the most complete collection?
how about Union Imperial and Miyagi kogyo RTW, have anyone compared both? which one has more quality? i read UI use good leather such as annonay, doesn't miyagi kogyo uses mainly domestic leather? CMIIW
thanks

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hi, does anyone know which WFG carries the most complete collection?
how about Union Imperial and Miyagi kogyo RTW, have anyone compared both? which one has more quality? i read UI use good leather such as annonay, doesn't miyagi kogyo uses mainly domestic leather? CMIIW
thanks

The WFG in Harajuku is their flagship store. They should have the best selection.

Union Imperial and Miyagi Kogyo RTW are two different animals. UIs are more Italian styled, and they are handsewn welted. Miyagi Kogyo's are more English/American, and they are goodyear welted. IMO Miyagi Kogyos are as good as C&J hand grade in construction quality.

UI uses Annonay, but from what I understand, theres several levels/range in leather quality (and pricing) available from large tanneries (like Annonay). I'm doubtful that the Annonay you see here are equivalent to those used for high-end shoes and Bespoke shoes. I could be wrong though.

Miyagi Kogyo uses top grade Japanese kip, which is essentially calf-skin in European standard. (The Japanese have a different age criteria for calf/kip etc...). I don't see it as anything less vs similar priced imported leather.

WFG stocks both brands, so you're in luck. Also, try out the Central Shoes

bozzkeren

Reaction score
@NC

Central shoes have nice line-ups, one that caught my eye is the oxford tan brogues (from your post)

i read that Central Shoes also makes sanyo yamacho right? have you handle both of them?
how about otsuka shoes? what are your opinion for Otsuka M-5 line?
thanks

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@NC Central shoes have nice line-ups, one that caught my eye is the oxford tan brogues (from your post) i read that Central Shoes also makes sanyo yamacho right? have you handle both of them? how about otsuka shoes? what are your opinion for Otsuka M-5 line? thanks
At ¥55K or so, I think Central shoes are excellent if they fit you. They are shaped quite aggressively, with a tight fiddle back waist. Yes, Central indeed makes shoes for Sanyo Yamacho. They are made with Sanyo lasts and designs, and their high end models are priced a lot higher than Central's own shoes sold at the WFG. Central also makes the Corno Blu RTW shoes. Otsuka is a large shoe manufacture, and they offer several lines of shoes (under different names and price point). They also make the licensed Grenson shoes in Japan. Otsuka's signature RTW line, 'Otsuka Shoe Manufactures' are sold only at their flagship store in Roppongi. However, Otsuka M-5 is available via MTO only. I've handled some of their samples a few years ago, and they seemed very well made. Their newer, more adventurous designs are not my cup of tea, but I do really dig Otsuka's classic designs that seem unchanged for over a 100 years. Otsuka also does handmade MTOs and Bespoke.

BespokeMakers

Reaction score
At ¥55K or so, I think Central shoes are excellent if they fit you. They are shaped quite aggressively, with a tight fiddle back waist.

Yes, Central indeed makes shoes for Sanyo Yamacho. They are made with Sanyo lasts and designs, and their high end models are priced a lot higher than Central's own shoes sold at the WFG. Central also makes the Corno Blu RTW shoes.

Otsuka is a large shoe manufacture, and they offer several lines of shoes (under different names and price point). They also make the licensed Grenson shoes in Japan. Otsuka's signature RTW line, 'Otsuka Shoe Manufactures' are sold only at their flagship store in Roppongi. However, Otsuka M-5 is available via MTO only. I've handled some of their samples a few years ago, and they seemed very well made. Their newer, more adventurous designs are not my cup of tea, but I do really dig Otsuka's classic designs that seem unchanged for over a 100 years. Otsuka also does handmade MTOs and Bespoke.
Corno blu RTW Lizard-Stamped Penny Loafer “Lacerta” made by Central shoes.
They are skilled factory workers in japan.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a good photo of a Sanyo Yamacho shoes. I scanned these from a recent MEN'S EX magazine

Sanyo Yamacho by Central Shoes
"Juichiro" Boots in R2010 last, Ilcea Calf, HAF soles
¥99,750 ($1000 USD)

Last edited:

bozzkeren

Reaction score
There is a Corno Blu MTO and Bespoke Trunk Show starting today @ BEAMS House Marunouchi.
Pattern Order (MTO) selection features slip-ons for the summer season. Sizes available with a quarter (1/4) pitch. ¥68K yen~
Sulla Forma MTO (or Full MTO) allows you to design a pattern from scratch (with an appointment with Mr.Seikaku). For ¥89K yen~
or you can go full Bespoke for ¥336K

Some new models available for MTO

Hi NC, could you give more info about this sulla forma MTO? Is it time limited offer?
how long is the lead time? do they require multiple fitting or just trial fitting?
how many shoe model and leather selection they have for the MTO?

Thanks

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi NC, could you give more info about this sulla forma MTO? Is it time limited offer?
how long is the lead time? do they require multiple fitting or just trial fitting?
how many shoe model and leather selection they have for the MTO?

Thanks

With Corno Blu's Sulla Forma (MTO) program, you basically start by selecting from their ready made lasts and designs, but you are allowed to customise a whole lot more than any other factory made MTO shoes (IMO). You can alter the pattern as much as you want (or even make an original pattern from scratch with Mr.Seikaku), the last can be customised/personalised (and stored for future orders), and sizes are available in the increment of 0.25 cm pitch.
The shoes are goodyear welted, and crafted by Central Shoes. Priced at ¥89,000 or so. I think the lead time is 3 months (with no fitting session)

You also have the option to have them handmade (hand lasted and handsewn welted). If so, the shoes are crafted at the Corno Blu atelier. Priced from ¥138K

You can check the RTW/MTO lineup here: http://cornoblu.ciao.jp/wordpress/?page_id=173. Not sure about their leather selection.
Corno Blu's Sulla Forma MTO is available at all times at their Fukuoka atelier. Elsewhere, they are available only through trunk shows.

I really like the shape of Corno Blu Bespokes, and their RTW/MTO shoes do seem to reflect his Italian sensibility. With all the customising options available, I think they are a viable alternative for those not willing to pay twice as much for full handmade MTOs.

Last edited:

bozzkeren

Reaction score
With Corno Blu's Sulla Forma (MTO) program, you basically start by selecting from their ready made lasts and designs, but you are allowed to customise a whole lot more than any other factory made MTO shoes (IMO). You can alter the pattern as much as you want (or even make an original pattern from scratch with Mr.Seikaku), the last can be customised/personalised (and stored for future orders), and sizes are available in the increment of 0.25 cm pitch.
The shoes are goodyear welted, and crafted by Central Shoes. Priced at ¥89,000 or so. I think the lead time is 3 months (with no fitting session)

You also have the option to have them handmade (hand lasted and handsewn welted). If so, the shoes are crafted at the Corno Blu atelier. Priced from ¥138K

You can check the RTW/MTO lineup here: http://cornoblu.ciao.jp/wordpress/?page_id=173. Not sure about their leather selection.
Corno Blu's Sulla Forma MTO is available at all times at their Fukuoka atelier. Elsewhere, they are available only through trunk shows.

I really like the shape of Corno Blu Bespokes, and their RTW/MTO shoes do seem to reflect his Italian sensibility. With all the customising options available, I think they are a viable alternative for those not willing to pay twice as much for full handmade MTOs.

i see,
how about pattern order MTO at Beams Marunouchi? do they accept pattern order there or just RTW shoes?
NC, you seem very very knowledgeable in shoes, your job is in this area?
biggrin.gif

thanks again for your info

bozzkeren

Reaction score
@NC
thanks for your info
fing02[1].gif
what about pattern order MTO, are they also part of trunk show @ Beams?

you seem very knowledgable and passionate about shoes
does your job also in the sartorial world?
biggrin.gif

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@NC
thanks for your info
fing02%5B1%5D.gif
  what about pattern order MTO, are they also part of trunk show @ Beams?

you seem very knowledgable and passionate about shoes
does your job also in the sartorial world?  :D

The Pattern Order MTO lets you choose the leather only, and from a limited choice of models (5 models for the BEAMS show). At ¥68K yen, they cost a bit more (¥10K) than regular RTW, and a lot less (¥20K) than the Sulla Forma.

Nah, my knowledge base is really quite shallow, I just happen to live in Japan and enjoy looking (and something buying) shoes :lol:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics