1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

Included for G&G. Not for JLST.

Lasted bespoke trees are pretty different beast than regular English RTW trees

2. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    500 pounds for a pair of shoe trees!! There are plenty of people that wouldn't even spend that on a pair of shoes.

3. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hiro's lasted shoe trees for these MTO shoes are identical in quality to his Bespoke shoe trees (¥30K yen), but a bit more inexpensive because they are made in a batch (from the MTO base last)

I've seen them in person. Not anything fancy or deeply shaped like St.C., but at least they fit the shoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hiro's MTO last isn't slim but they seem to fit quite snuggly where it should.

They can adjust the fit using custom insoles, but I assume you have to be there in person.
    [​IMG]

pics from Hiro's FB page

Last edited: May 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. nutcracker

G&G Bespoke includes shoe trees, but I recall they charge 250 GBP to make an additional pair.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, quite a few of the places that Nutcracker has kindly documented also sell clothes (Beams, EstNation and a lot of the other stores).

You're certainly right that Tokyo has an astounding selection of great menswear stores, ranging in price from downright affordable to absolutely sky-high! They also have some extremely good sales from time to time - I still regret not picking up a pile of Holliday & Brown silk print ties when they were on sale for Y5000 at a department store in Ginza a few years back. I've also seen Finamore shirts on sale for Y10000, which is fantastic value (but unfortunately they were all far too small for me).

I love taking a wander around places like Harajuku/Aoyama and Ginza/Yurakucho when I'm in Tokyo as there are so many lovely stores, both large and small, with a great range of products and a lot of the employees are really well-informed and passionate about the clothing that they sell. I had a great discussion with a salesman at the Brooks Brothers store in Yurakucho, where we exchanged English and Japanese terms for "working buttonholes" and "floating canvas".

Yes, imported shoes in particular are very expensive in Japan, particularly US and British shoes. Curiously, Italian-made shoes don't seem to be as outrageously priced.

1 person likes this.
  6. nutcracker

True Indeed!

Isetan/Mitsukoshi, Beams, UA, Barneys etc... have these Members invitation only sales throughout the year. I've been to an Isetan one before. Mostly stuffs from a year ago, but prices go from 50% to 80% off for some really good stuffs (not just odd fits and colors).

7. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Nutcracker, what are your thoughts on Masaru Okayama shoes?Does he offer RTW shoes?

8. nutcracker

Okuyama-san does Bespoke only, and from what I've seen (from pictures), his works look quite impressive. He prices his shoes quite high (HKD 38000, or ¥495K yen / $4900 USD), and I can only assume that the extra $$$ reflects on the service and the quality of finish.

He lives in Hong Kong, and from what I know, he has already amassed a large list of clientele from Hong Kong and the rest of Asia. His shoes aren't available in Japan (no trunk shows yet).

Check out the interview by our very own VRaivio, published on Keikari.com.
    http://www.keikari.com/english/interview-with-masaru-okuyama/

I know some of our SF members owns Okuyama's shoes, and have posted before on the Hardcore thread.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  9. nutcracker

There is a Corno Blu MTO and Bespoke Trunk Show starting today @ BEAMS House Marunouchi.
    Pattern Order (MTO) selection features slip-ons for the summer season. Sizes available with a quarter (1/4) pitch. ¥68K yen~
    Sulla Forma MTO (or Full MTO) allows you to design a pattern from scratch (with an appointment with Mr.Seikaku). For ¥89K yen~
    or you can go full Bespoke for ¥336K

[​IMG]
    Some new models available for MTO

10. nutcracker

A Visit to Clematis, Tokyo Part 1

Having seen quite a lot of English and Italian styled shoes recently, I was quite curious to see some home bred Japanese Bespoke at its finest. So I naturally knocked on the doors of Clematis Ginza. I made an appointment for viewing, and was greeted with a warm welcome by shoemaker Keitaro Takano.

I already knew of his stellar reputation, in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but I was greeted with much more. In short, I found his shoes to be delightfully distinctive, sometimes whimsical, and yet undoubtedly elegant.

[​IMG]
    Located in a quiet corner of the busy Ginza district

[​IMG]
    The showroom with an impressive display of shoes. The brand color 'green' quickly grows on you.

Without further ado, lets get right into some Clematis magic....from the "Red Line" Collection.

[​IMG]
    Plaintoe oxford in burnished lizard. The 'Red Line' collection is Clematis' test ground for new ideas.

[​IMG]
    The lizard skin has been sanded / burnished to a nubuck like texture.

[​IMG]
    A slick blood red sole.

[​IMG]
    The Clematis heel. The detailing is amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lizard in a blue-ish tint. The color looks subdued and classy in a way. The toe and the heel are left slick and polished

[​IMG]
    with a blue sole....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Full Brogues from the 'Red Line'. with an unique red stained edge

[​IMG]
    More examples of Clematis's full handmade shoes.

[​IMG]
    A bootie with a calf/suede combo. The lacestay portion is stained darker.

[​IMG]
    A whole cut elastic slip-on with full imitation brogues.

[​IMG]
    Takano-san doesn't use marking wheels. Yes, they are all individually marked by hand.

1 person likes this.
  11. nutcracker

A Visit to Clematis, Tokyo Part 2

[​IMG]
    Monk Straps in light tan Elephant.

[​IMG]
    I really like the house last with the full round toe. Takano calls the shape 'cute', but they're designed for comfort in mind.

[​IMG]
    Booties in Calf/Elephant combo.

[​IMG]
    The clean lines of the last looks great on boots.

[​IMG]
    Dress casuals. Hippo/suede on the left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A seemless wholecut sample. I asked him where the pinhole was. He looked confused and told me of course there isn't one :embar:

[​IMG]
    Seemless wholecut in the making.

[​IMG]
    A collection of mostly unlined summer slip ons.

[​IMG]
    Slip ons in lizard.

[​IMG]
    The soles are attached with brass pegs.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Keitaro Takano. He always has a great smile.

Clematis shoes are available in several configurations.
    The 'Original Order' allows you to select a design from his vast repertoire, and one of his House lasts. Construction wise, there is the '9.5 Handmade' construction (hand lasted and hand welted, but the soles are partially machine stitched, the waist is hand stitched), which is perhaps the best value. You can also opt to go Full Handmade for a tighter, tailored waist and a higher degree of finish. Personally, I think Takano-san's bottoming stitchwork is something to behold.

Price starts from ¥163,800 ($1600 USD) for 9.5 Handmade shoes, and ¥248,850 ($2450 USD) for Full Handmade.

Or you have an option to go full Bespoke, with a new pattern and a new last. Bespokes are also offered with 9.5, or full handmade option. Bespoke price starts from ¥283,500 ($2800) for 9.5 Handmade, and ¥372,750 ($3700) for full blown handmade.

The selection of leather is great, with a healthy choice in exotics, from hippos to elephants to sharks etc...
    Mr. Takano is open to taking international orders, and in fact has a roster of international clientele. He has a translator for order taking.

[​IMG]
    I tried on his fitting shoes, and the grip was very strong all around, with an excellent hold on my tiny heels. Best of all, there were generous room in the toe box. I wear a UK 6.5 (24.5cm) for most UK brands, and I had a pretty much perfect fit for Clematis's equivalent size.

Clematis HP: http://www.clematis-ginza.com

My thanks to Takano-san@Clematis Ginza

3 people like this.
  12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

very clean look I like it! all marked individually by hand, that sounds painful... so dedicated

1 person likes this.
  13. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

[​IMG]

I saw this on Justin Shoe Snob blog the other day....I am thinking I have the collection, just missing a bespoke shoedrobe to
    store my collection gracefully....my next project...to clear the garage and convert into a walk-in shoedrobe....

Enjoy the pic.

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/05/shoe-wardrobe-envy.html

15. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

As a serious collector you will know, nothing but white tie will do when handling your shoes:

[​IMG]

Adolphe Menjou (1890-1963)

Last edited: May 31, 2013
    2 people like this.
  16. nutcracker

Love the wall cabinet. That ladder is just hilarious

Whenever I go to Ikea's custom wardrobe/closet section... I fantasise doing the same thing

1 person likes this.
  17. chogall

chogall Senior member

I am too poor to afford those spaces at where I live. :(

18. nutcracker

o.e. by Osamu Egawa

I dropped by the 10th Anniversary Show @ hand sewn welted boot maker o.e.'s studio.
    Below is the 10th Anniversary model, a calf/suede combo shoes with antique buttons.

Buttoned Shoes with Diamond cap
    Full handmade MTO

[​IMG]
    Egawa-san often harkens back to the Victorian and Edwardian era for inspiration.
    This ghillie-like design with diamond caps certainly seems to reflect the spirit of that era.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Antique Victorian Austrian-Tiny buttons with mother of pearl inlay; with hand sewn button holes

[​IMG]
    The bevelled waist is shaped quite aggressively.

[​IMG]
    Fit and finish is as near flawless as I've ever seen.

[​IMG]
    The notch (on the left), to mark the transition to the waist, is among the delightful details of o.e. shoes

more pictures and report to follow!

2 people like this.
  19. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

My mind is now officially and irreparably blown.

2 people like this.
  20. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Those pitched heels and that pair of lazy man shoes are ...