• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gambit50

Reaction score

With Japan's large consumption of various marine lives, why waste the potential leather byproducts.

Sure enough. But that avoids what is wrong with eating that meat in the first place which is convenient enough for you.

And these days, whole animals put to use is not that common amongst the pricey, rare varieties.

Enjoy your shark fin soup.

gambit50

Reaction score

You served your hipster location well.

Now you should know the best way to zero out your own carbon footprint.

Or better yet, yours.

Do not cast stones from your cushy little bubble, mate.

gambit50

Reaction score

Gambit,

Seals are not endangered.  There are (literally) millions of them.  Canada, Greenland, Norway, Russia and Namibia allow seal hunting by quota.  But the EU does not allow import of seal products, mainly due to public pressure from anti seal-hunting activists in the 80s.  Most seal exports from countries where they are hunted, are to Asia and Russia.  I'm not aware of any well-known tanneries producing seal leather these days, so it would be interesting to know if someone Japan is tanning them as bare hides rather than furred pelts.  I don't find seals any more controversial than other plentiful animals subject to an organised cull or hunting, e.g. elk, elephant, etc.

Turtles are all endangered.  I don't think any country allows them to be hunted.

I'm glad you're "over yourself" whatever that means.  But seal meat is also eaten, so the only case for pigs being more acceptable as shoe leather than seals, is that you eat bacon.  But as pigs are both significantly more intelligent and aware than seals, and intensively farmed and slaughtered, I think there's a pretty strong case for sealskin being more ethical, inherently, than pigskin (or bacon for that matter!).  I don't like cats much either, I do like dogs.  But that's not why I don't eat them - I just think they're too high up the brain chain.  Like pigs.  And dolphins.  

Chogal, While whales are being taken there is an argument for not wasting what is there.  But I'm personally opposed to whaling on both conservation and the above (brain-rating!) grounds, so I wouldn't feel honest to participate in that particular "industry". 

Whole millions, eh? You are not educating me about any of this but thanks. Seals are a slippery slope. Hunting allowances mean nothing. Some locales allow hunting of animals with low counts. Others, not.And enforcement is often :uhoh: Also, there are so many varieties and when you allow X, people slip right down and do Y and Z.Also, let us be honest, if you are the type of person who covets uber exotic, rare, endangered or whatever type of skins, you will covet the rare type of seal.They are not really commodity level. That's all.

Look if someone wants to skin sea turtles or do this or that or whatever it is, OK, but just don't give some nonsense about how it is fine and dandy. it is just greedy and wrong. I am hardly opposed to luxury and excess but that is the point, if a bastard such as myself says,'That is too far', then it must be and to keep going and going means you are a &*()(). Just wear the badge and argument over. Note, I am not saying you are one of them, just generally.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Japan's large consumption of various marine lives, why waste the potential leather byproducts.

Sure enough. But that avoids what is wrong with eating that meat in the first place which is convenient enough for you.

And these days, whole animals put to use is not that common amongst the pricey, rare varieties.

Enjoy your shark fin soup.

What is wrong with eating whale meat, for example?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Whole millions, eh? You are not educating me about any of this but thanks. Seals are a slippery slope. Hunting allowances mean nothing. Some locales allow hunting of animals with low counts. Others, not.And enforcement is often
uhoh.gif
Also, there are so many varieties and when you allow X, people slip right down and do Y and Z.Also, let us be honest, if you are the type of person who covets uber exotic, rare, endangered or whatever type of skins, you will covet the rare type of seal.They are not really commodity level. That's all.

Look if someone wants to skin sea turtles or do this or that or whatever it is, OK, but just don't give some nonsense about how it is fine and dandy. it is just greedy and wrong. I am hardly opposed to luxury and excess but that is the point, if a bastard such as myself says,'That is too far', then it must be and to keep going and going means you are a &*()(). Just wear the badge and argument over. Note, I am not saying you are one of them, just generally.

I am not the type of person who "covets uber exotic, rare, endangered" skins. I expressed an interest in seal skin which is none of the above. Why? For the same reason as I have some blue shirts and some white shirts. We all crave novelty or variety in some way, but I think we also mostly refrain from trying to eradicate endangered species! Everyone has their own moral line.

If you think seals are "too far", I respect that, but disagree, and I'd be interested to hear a more detailed case: you suggest, I think, that some seal hunts might also include rarer species than the usual harp seal, possibly even some endangered ones. I'm sure it's possible, but to say that makes harp seals unethical is like saying that nobody should eat fish until bi-catch is completely eradicated. Is it a big problem? I don't really know, to be honest, but I do accept that there might be a case to consider, just as I won't buy a certain kind of tuna.

But using words like "nonsense" and "skinning sea turtles" is not really adding anything. If you think farming, transporting and slaughtering pigs is more morally rational than shooting a seal, then fine, I'm sure it's an argument worth considering. I'd ask you to consider the relative humanity of intensive farming and slaughter methods against licensed hunting of animals that lead an otherwise natural life. I'm sure there are points you'd make in response. But there's no need to be so rude to people who might not immediately agree with you.

What is wrong with eating whale meat, for example?

Well, it depends if you agree with the hunting of whales in principle. I don't. Chogall's "no waste" point makes sense, but I'd feel hypocritical to do that when I'm against the practice in general.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Anyway, here's a picture of some lovely Japanese shoes. Made of non-controversial farm animal. Because **** cows.
sly.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you're interested in the method taught by Hasegawa san from the youtube video, here is an article I translated some time ago

fyi, he uses saphir / kiwi for wax polishes, and makes his own cream polishes.

open the link for higher resolution!

His cream polish shine is already pretty good. As to his method on wax, well, that's how I did it when I was in the military police :slayer:

ezlau

Reaction score
Nutcracker,

If one were to plan on visiting Japan from the USA, what brand of shoes would be worth splurging on? Since you mentioned that AC, EG, Vass etc that can be sourced for much cheaper in the USA without the high import tax, would spending the $ on local Japanese bespoke such as Koji Suzuki or Yohei Fukuda be more worthwhile?

Also, any idea if there are any difference in $ between a Koji Suzuki commision in Japan vs with The Armoury guys?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

By the way, do Japan produce any exotic marine life leather (that other countries couldn't produce), such as whale, dolphin, or maybe seal or sea turtle?

Il Quadrifoglio Bespoke in Sealskin

I saw these in person and I must say the leather looked and felt great. The microscopic pores makes the surface almost glitter (really). I was also shown a seal hide in black, but they looked like lava rocks (like those on the Big Island / Hawaii), and I didn't like it. The upcharge wasn't as much as I thought.....¥60,000 or so ($600), about the same as lizard. Apparently sealskins are quite available these days. This particular leather was imported from Italy, if I recall correctly. Try looking at Marmolada / F.lli.Giacometti, they offer RTW shoes in a wide range of exotics including sealskins.

Zinryu Bespoke Boots in Whale

Whaleskin (suede in this version) is not very pliant, and they're quite difficult to last. They do have a distinctive shimmer common to marine mammals. (the interior of this boots is lined with calfskin). Whale skins don't come by easily nowadays. Not sure if they're produced in Japan, but quite possible.

Fishskins (such as salmon) are surprisingly strong if processed and are quite suitable for leather goods. Eel skins are probably the most resilient and are still used for goods and shoes in Japan and the rest of Asia. I believe South Korea is the world's largest producer/exporter of eel skins. I've never seen a dolphin shoe.....

Sea turtle hides are becoming increasingly rare (because of international trade restriction), but old stocks (usually small pieces) are still available for small leather crafts (popularly used for seal/stamp cases)

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nutcracker,

If one were to plan on visiting Japan from the USA, what brand of shoes would be worth splurging on? Since you mentioned that AC, EG, Vass etc that can be sourced for much cheaper in the USA without the high import tax, would spending the $ on local Japanese bespoke such as Koji Suzuki or Yohei Fukuda be more worthwhile?

Also, any idea if there are any difference in $ between a Koji Suzuki commision in Japan vs with The Armoury guys?

If you're coming from the states, buying imported shoes here may not be a savvy choice, even with a weak yen.

Among the domestic RTW brands, I really like Miyagi Kogyo RTW, Corno Blu, and Central shoes. Priced in the ¥50,000 range, quality and price-wise I think they're similar to C&J Handgrade or Carmina. Also beware that most Japanese RTW brands only go up to size 9.

I personally think Japanese MTO shoes are excellent deals, regardless of the exchange rate. Yohei Fukuda, Spigola, Clematis, Corno Blu, and Hiro Yanagimachi are among the notable Bespoke makers who offers MTO shoes without test fit session. Other makers, such as Guild or Saion, do MTO shoes but requires a test fitting.

If you're willing to come back for test fitting, then Bespoke may be a way too. Most English trained shoemakers could accommodate you with no problem.

For a Koji Suzuki MTO, you gotta show up at their Kobe studio, or visit one of their trunk shows in Tokyo or elsewhere. I highly doubt they do mail orders, unless they're familiar with you. Cheapest if you get it direct, and a lil more at the Trunk Shows. Price starts from ¥108,000 yen direct ($1080 USD or so). Price starts from ¥126,000 ($200 premium) at the Tokyo Trunk Show.

Armoury's MTO price starts from 14,000 HKD ($1800 USD). Surprisingly, their Bespoke price (24,000 HKD) is similar to Japan. (from their website, you may want to ask them)

open the link for better image

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

His cream polish shine is already pretty good. As to his method on wax, well, that's how I did it when I was in the military police :slayer:

Military Police? geez....did you have to go through the rifle juggling at the SYS or CKS Memorial Halls?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Military Police? geez....did you have to go through the rifle juggling at the SYS or CKS Memorial Halls?

Nah, that's 儀隊, we usually just guard base/garrison, though you do have to stand straight and not moving for 2 hours...

ezlau

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions nutcracker. I wear roughly a size 8.5E (asian feet) so not a problem at all :) I've been tempted to go to Japan for a sushi hunt (Jiro, and Sushisho Masa who apparently is better than Jiro). Might also go on a shopping spree while I'm there (Ring Jacket and shoes). What do you suggest is the best time to visit Japan?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions nutcracker. I wear roughly a size 8.5E (asian feet) so not a problem at all :) I've been tempted to go to Japan for a sushi hunt (Jiro, and Sushisho Masa who apparently is better than Jiro). Might also go on a shopping spree while I'm there (Ring Jacket and shoes). What do you suggest is the best time to visit Japan?

Sure thing!

well..... the yen seems to get weaker each day, so thats good news for you :fonz:
The monsoon / rainy season starts from early June and ends early July......you may want to avoid this period.
Summer sales tend to start early July. Isetan already announced they are having theirs on July 17 this year :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads