1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. meister

meister Senior member

Blows the UK shoe manufacturers outta da water.

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

How much and how can we buy?

3. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

On the blog it says its ~$1,000. Don't those slots look small though, even for 1 shoe?

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think, the stool is not for shoe storage, but for shoe care items (brushes, polishes etc.) The idea is, you sit on the stool, while you polish your shoes, and rest the tools on the pull-out tray.

For $ 1,000 you cannot buy that crocodile/alligator hide. This hide (covering three sides of the cube) is huge and must have come from a very old animal. The price of a skin will increase disproportionately with the size as large hides are extremely rare.

2 people like this.
  5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

10k USD as per blog (1 million yen)

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

for shoe care supplies

7. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

My bad, wrong currency conversion :embar: $10,000 for a shoe shine stool is too rich for my blood.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Makes me wonder why they haven't shown more interest in making their shoes available outside Japan. Not everyone can fly to Tokyo for an appointment. But give me a website where I can buy and I am in.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Before Abe's second term, these goods are prohibitively expensive... Now after JPY got its 25% discount, the bespokes are now price competitive.

1 person likes this.
  10. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah I think Japanese shoes manufacturers should seriously consider expanding their customer base overseas.
    I've read that the upcoming FTA agreement and others may bring an end to the infamous 30% tariffs on leather shoes in Japan....

11. meister

meister Senior member

I hear you but when you see the size of some of these Aussie "salties" (salt water crocs) - which reportedly have the best croc hides in the world - you have to wonder why this is the case.

[​IMG]

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

that photo is from south america I believe.

there was a 22 footer in SE asia that died a year or so ago

13. nutcracker

Imai Hiroki Trunk Show at Umeda Hankyu Men's, Osaka
    For those living in Osaka, sorry just missed it 5/25~5/26

Still, enjoy some pretty shoes from his website
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Imai's MTO shoes start from ¥57,750 incl.VAT ($575 USD) for Blake constructed shoes, and for extra he can also do Blake Rapid or Handsewn Welted shoes. He also allows last customization, which I think is quite generous for this price range.

He works from his atelier in Himeji city, and all of his shoes are handmade and hand painted by a small team of 3 craftsmen (including himself).

I know he's been around for a while, and has been featured on several English shoe blogs. I don't think he accepts international orders as for now, though he seems to get plenty of overseas inquiries.

More images: http://www.facebook.com/imai.hiroki.5/photos

1 person likes this.
  14. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

For 575 USD that looks like a great deal

1 person likes this.
  15. chogall

chogall Senior member

He also doesn't have the distribution channel and is based in the middle of nowhere for international travelers.

Awesome patina though, puts a lot of the forum favorites to shame. Specifically the French guy that ASW interviewed. Talon Rouge or something.

16. meister

meister Senior member

No that is Brutus of Australia fame about 80 years old and minus a foot.

1 person likes this.
  17. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

geepus, i'd love to get my hands on this exact pair . . . . any proxies available ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nutcracker [​IMG]

Imai Hiroki Trunk Show at Umeda Hankyu Men's, Osaka

[​IMG]

Imai's MTO shoes start from ¥57,750 incl.VAT ($575 USD) for Blake constructed shoes, and for extra he can also do Blake Rapid or Handsewn Welted shoes. He also allows last customization, which I think is quite generous for this price range.

18. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Wonder what he said when he lost that food: "Et tu caesar?"

19. nutcracker

Imai shoes used to be sold quite aggressively through online retailers (including an official online store), but somehow he abandoned that business model. Now, I believe his shoes are available only through trunk shows (and maybe by visiting his atelier directly). Please correct me if otherwise. I remember he planned to expand overseas, and had a booth at Pitti several years ago. Not sure what happened to his overseas plan. He did his time in Italy (not France) under a shoemaker called Giuseppe Beltramo. Not sure who he is though.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  20. nutcracker

I dropped by Tie Your Tie Aoyama today and saw a cabinet full of Il Micio / Hidetaka Fukaya bespoke samples. There were about 40 of them, in every possible luxury: croc, elephant, shark, and what not. Definitely worth a trip if you happen to be in Tokyo....sorry no pictures. Maybe if I buy a tie, they'll let me snap some pics.......