1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Sheesh. This is a veritable treasure trove for clothing enthusiasts cum prospective tourists who intend to call upon Japan. No way one could gain access to all this information just by scouring the net/guidebooks. Now, if only there were a Japanese clothing thread as well -- have heard that the Japanese are fastidious over details and make exceptional clothing/suits.

What are the prices of Bonafe shoes/ Otsuka Shoes in Japan? What's the response to Bonafe like?

The flip side to this wonderful line-up is that prices are exceptionally high in Japan. It's not uncommon to see scores of Japanese tourists snapping up Cleverly shoes, Hermes bags etc over here in London. A friend who visited Japan was astounded at the prices Cleverly shoes sell for over there.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. bboysdontcryy

Where's this 'elsewhere', this other place, that you speak of?

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

The other Tokyo locations to which nutcracker has already provided his fantastic guides, for a start.

1 person likes this.
  4. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

I am quite sure that Tokyo has the highest saturation of classic menswear stores in the world. It would be quite a pain to document all of them.....unless you filter the list to only high end clothings, like how I'm doing with shoes.....

I have heard the news (on TV) mentioning how the FTA agreement may possibly get rid of the 30% import duty on shoes.....imagine that happening....

Bonafe's are only sold at the BEAMS outposts, and priced around ¥90K yen. They seem to do quite well, especially for the coming summer. IMO Italian shoes tend to sell better than English shoes during the hot season, with all the suede, unlined, and colorful loafers and what not.

Otsuka RTW has 3 grades: The bottom is priced around ¥30K or so, the next tier around ¥55K or so, and the high end M-5 around ¥60K.
    MTO costs a lot more, ¥84K for machine made, and ¥150K for full hand made.
    Bespoke goes for ¥315K

2 people like this.
  5. nutcracker

Thanks for your kind words! So you do research on cities? Tokyo must be a fascinating place for you, I assume. While the stores I list tend to gather around commercial centers in central Tokyo, there are lots of charming neighborhoods around Tokyo that cater to every taste... Southern Tokyo (Setagaya, Komazawa/Jiyugaoka area), Western Tokyo (Nakano, Kichijoyi etc...), or the old part of the city up north in Taito-ku (aka the Brooklyn of Tokyo).

6. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

nutcracker, you really ought to have your own site for all this info. SF is fine and dandy, but this thread may just get lost among the thousands already posted.

7. nutcracker

Yeah, I was seriously considering that, but I figured that 'Japanese shoes' is still a niche topic among the English speaking crowd. I still think SF is the most convenient way to get information out to maximum number of viewers. but yeah, my long posts may get on some ppl's nerves (way too long and messy), and a lot of the good posts get quickly left behind. :facepalm:

so I may compile the longer stuffs I posted, and organize it to a site in near future. Thanks for mentioning it.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

I was going to say small, but I didn't want to boast.

Actually it took me a couple of looks to figure out it was a hammer.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Long posts only get on people's nerves if they are not content dense unlike like yours.

10. nutcracker

I'm ready to post something really really long......a guide to Marunouchi.....not sure if everyone's up to it :laugh:

2 people like this.
  11. bboysdontcryy

Just pulled the trigger on Yanagimachi's austerity brogue-ghillie shoes. Decided on something funkier for a change. My first pair of Japanese shoes.

2 people like this.
  12. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Bring it onnnnnnnn!!!!

13. nutcracker

Wow! Congrats! :wow:
    Were you able to correspond through mail??

14. bboysdontcryy

No. Don't speak Japanese and don't write kanji. I gave my friend who is based in the Japan office my shoe details, and he called them up and settled it for me! The shoes are only ready in September, right? What's the leather selection available? Is it just the colours on the display models, or is there a wider selection I can choose from?

15. nutcracker

Yes, just those 5 leathers for this MTO order fair, and yes, they should be done in September. They are also available in D (narrow) and E (standard) width. Lasted shoe trees are an option for ¥25000 or so, fyi

I hope the best for your order to go smoothly!!! Good to know that you have a friend to help you with the order!

16. bboysdontcryy

Your post was invaluable. Did you see the austerity brogue/ghillie there? Objectively speaking, how does it look in real life?

What I'm curious about is: what are specific areas they'll be able to customise? Building more support for a low instep? What about width of foot?

17. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Or if you're too lazy for a "site", try Tumblr

edit: spelling error

1 person likes this.
  18. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

This thread is long overdue. An awesome resource. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

photos??

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

photos please