• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that name. Rendo Asakusa....his website sucks but his shoes do appear to fit in that price range.
Rendo Asakusa is great. I stumbled upon him by chance in Asakusa back in 2014, on my way to some boot making factory (Attractions). Liked what I saw. He also has some models inspired by JM weston or Paraboot that I really love.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. It seems like there's the potential to make a lot of money offering web services in Japan lol. Still looks like the best way to get information is either visiting Japan or talking to people that are very familiar with the market there.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're both sub 600$ afaik. And I think they are both stylistically a Japanese take on British shoes. In UK, there really are no makers that can compare to the quality/price ratio at this price level. There are some good Italian and Eastern European ones, but for me, they just don't do it aesthetically.

Don't remember if Joe Works is sub $600. I'd have to check that one. ??‍♂️

There probably is not a British maker that can compete at this price range with those or some non-English shoe for that matter. CJ on sale?

Italian and Eastern European shoes not your flavor....Different strokes for different folks as I said ??.

Note that, even if Bcool doesn’t state it, he only talks about the price point for importing Japanese shoes to his state (don’t remember which it was) in the US... I also answered like you did once, it was apparently all wrong..

?

I said all shoes incur fees, BUT read below ??

When it comes to imports, I don't think any customs in the world are as sloppy as the American one. I'm jealous, really ?

I love America ?. Only freebies here folks, unless the shoes come from Europe in which case ☠️.

I wonder if subconsciously they see a European country and assume they must add fees. Asian country? Not worth the paperwork.. No fees.
My post office definitely has this mindset. ??

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rendo Asakusa is great. I stumbled upon him by chance in Asakusa back in 2014, on my way to some boot making factory (Attractions)

Never heard of this maker, but perhaps we have another viable option in the $500 range. Thank you kindly ??

Speaking of Japanese shoes within Europe, we have unfinished business.
As my current orders proceed further along, expect DMs ?

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this maker, but perhaps we have another viable option in the $500 range. Thank you kindly ??

Speaking of Japanese shoes within Europe, we have unfinished business.
As my current orders proceed further along, expect DMs ?
I cannot recommend @Stefan88 enough. I would order dirt from him if he sold it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at least on sabot, Joe works is ~$700, though no idea if it's pre or post VAT

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot recommend @Stefan88 enough. I would order dirt from him if he sold it.

Don't give him any ideas. He will start to talk about magical Norwegian dirt born from the Northern Lights.

I wonder how much that would be directly with them? At $700, that's pretty steep.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s with the Swedish VAT of 25%.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife paid $600 including shipping when she bought me a Joe Works pair from The Sabot back in 2018.

greenhouse

Reaction score
My wife paid $600 including shipping when she bought me a Joe Works pair from The Sabot back in 2018.
I received a pair of MTO Joe Works bluchers (which are awesome) just a few weeks ago from The Sabot. It was around $600, yes, although they included shoe trees (their brand, not Joe Works) and 5 (not kidding..., one goat hair) brushes of various types with the order. It did take forever due to covid-19 delays.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So about $600 for the shoes. Anyone actually bought directly from them? My guess they would be in that price range or more (after S&H).

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So about $600 for the shoes. Anyone actually bought directly from them? My guess they would be in that price range or more (after S&H).
I've purchased from them. They neglected to use the correct HTC code even after I told them which to use and referenced why. So I had to fight with whoever the carrier was at the time to get it fixed.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purchased from them. They neglected to use the correct HTC code even after I told them which to use and referenced why. So I had to fight with whoever the carrier was at the time to get it fixed.

That's disconcerting. The retailer in this case acts to assuage the potential of disappointment. I guess it "pays" to order through the retailer.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's disconcerting. The retailer in this case acts to assuage the potential of disappointment. I guess it "pays" to order through the retailer.
I wasn't even upset solely because they didn't want to use the correct HTC that I referenced. I was upset because they never planned on using it from the beginning and never told me about it. They could have easily told me that they would not use my HTC code before shipping the order and then we either could have discussed what the issue was or go over my options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads