1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Those in Tokyo, come to the World Championships in Shoemaking event at Isetan Men's this Saturday October 6 between 3-7PM. I will be there together with the world champion Patrick Frei, top three shoes in the contest will be exhibited, as well as the four best Japanese makers' entries. More info here on Isetan's website.
    _MG_7419-s.jpg
    Picture from Unipair in Seoul when the podium shoes were exhibited there, on their ongoing world tour.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

2. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior Member

Isetan now has 4 Japanese shoe makers shoes...Otsuka, Hayano, Fukuda and Clematis

27FE79C9-2DF8-43DD-A94A-EA4AB77F9F14.jpeg

3. Taverner.cohen

Taverner.cohen Senior Member

I didnt know any of those but they look great!

4. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

I may have found a new Japanese bespoke shoemaker.

Today, I took a pair of jeans to Sarto in Ginza to be shortened, and to have the hem of a jacket mended. While I was waiting for them to write me up, I spoke with Yutaka Moriguchi.

Apparently, Mr. Moriguchi apprenticed with Hiro Yanagimachi. He does pattern order, made to measure, and full bespoke. He also makes belts and other leather goods.

He will also resole bespoke shoes with a hand sewn welt. I don't know how that would work out without the original last.

Bic

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

5. Encore

Encore Senior Member

I was just thinking he might have opened his own business after leaving hiro, when I saw the news on instagram, would you happen to know his pricing?

EDITED: was using my phone and didn't realize you provided a link. thank you!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

6. junglcmndo

junglcmndo Well-Known Member

Looks like he has a website with different pricing. Most of it in Japanese though

7. Encore

Encore Senior Member

Didn't realize there was a link - thanks!

8. vriche

vriche Senior Member

My Dark Brown punched Captoe from Joe Works arrived last week. They’re even nicer in person compared to the pictures on their Instagram. I was concerned since I have somewhat of a high instep but they fit well and the “V” is not really wide at all.

I’ll post some fit pics some other time.

B17D8424-2F66-426C-B699-9C1F53226D70.jpeg

DF74ABB2-E892-4CD1-8C24-71A5306A1A45.jpeg

9C46FF7F-ED2F-4604-AC15-F3CB08B7459A.jpeg

9. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

Where did you order your MTO from?

10. vriche

vriche Senior Member

From www.thesabot.com. Fantastic service and quick.

11. Falu_al

Falu_al Senior Member

I just went to JoeWorks as well the other day. A very genuine experience in a quiet area of Tokyo. Good Service.

I was asked weather I wanted Dainite or Vibram sole. They recommended Vibram, stating that the rubber quality was better. I was under the impression that Dainite was the gold standard for a rubber city sole. Any ideas? It is clear that Vibram has ripped the design from Dainite. Question remains, is the remake better than the original?

[​IMG]

12. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

Hi. What I had from Joe Works is Ridgeway pattern by Vibram.

Having said that I have Dainite from other maker and Dainite pattern from Vibram in the past. Here is my experience and information from cobbler and shoe makers.

1) Vibarm stud is lower (slightly lower profile.
    2) Vibram rubber is softer
    3) Vibram is less slippery (especially when new).

I think 3) is may be related to shorter studs.
    One cobbler told me he prefers Dainite rubber because it is harder and more enduring. but I could not see the difference from my daily use.
    Dainite is super slippery on wet and flat surface when new. Vibram is less slippery when new from my experience.

13. Falu_al

Falu_al Senior Member

thanks - very helpful! I'm normally quite conservative when it comes to try new soles, as new makers normally cut corners to lower the cost. I'll stick with Vibram this time around - see how it plays out :)

14. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

@vriche was this a GMTO or just a one off? Also, any surcharge on going MTO? would be curious if Sabot had more offerings one could utilize going that route.

15. vriche

vriche Senior Member

It was a one off. I’ll send you a DM.