1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

So damn good. How many bespoke pairs do you have now from Japan?

2. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks guys!

I have four pairs from Yohei Fukuda, three from Hiro Yanagimachi (though they are on a modified standard last, since his international last fits me really well with some smaller changes), and then this from Main d'Or.

3. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

When you write in the article that he only makes 15 shoes a year, does that refer to just new customer shoes or all shoes from new and existing customers? With the base price of €2,600, I don't see how that works economically.

4. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Actually, that amounts to 7.5 pairs.

5. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Distinguished Member

6. Zapasman

Zapasman Distinguished Member

You wise man!!

7. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior Member

Beautiful shoes indeed! The attention to detail is stunning. Enjoy.

Was it by design that the shoes' lace guards don't close flush at the throat?

8. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Distinguished Member

9. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Distinguished Member

I went with my John Lobb 7000 last sizing. So I wear UK 9E in Lobb, and 9.5/10E in EG and went with a 9E with YF

10. j ingevaldsson

15 pairs is an estimate, and years when he has more orders from existing customers he makes more pairs. Where he lives quite far outside Tokyo it's relatively cheap, and he doesn't have that much expenses living the life he does. Plus, as mentioned, he also teaches and has extra income on that (which also takes time of from his shoemaking).

:thumbs-up:

Thanks! You mean that the lacing doesn't close entirely? In general I want it to be a bit opened, to give some flexibility of how hard it should be laced, and since this is the first wear pictured it has to be opened a bit, otherwise it wouldn't work once they have been broken in.

11. j ingevaldsson

During my latest trip to Tokyo I finally had the time to visit some factories as well. One of them were the factory of Union Royal, some pics from there below, more in the report on my blog:

DSC06694.jpg
    DSC06685.jpg
    DSC07979.jpg
    DSC07963.jpg
    DSC07840.jpg
    DSC07862.jpg
    DSC07930.jpg
    DSC07944.jpg
    DSC07998.jpg
    DSC07986.jpg

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

well executed dover-esque model. did you try and on, and / or buy any shoes during the visit?

13. angusangus

angusangus Well-Known Member

From reading through the thread, I've been absolutely smitten by the craftsmanship from some of these makers. But I see that many of them favour elongated and pointed or chiseled lasts -- even in their more 'round toe' lasts -- would I have any difficulty getting a truly classic round toe in the style of the EG202 from someone like Fukuda or Murata ?

14. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

Both are bespoke makers. so it should be no problem. Fukuds may be less flexible about the toe shape.

15. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

starting from 350 euro for HW? that's like the only HW player in that range (Meermin is cheaper?, Vass is more expensive), how are the uppers/finish for those HW ones.