1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

2 people like this.
  2. PeeCeeBee

PeeCeeBee Well-Known Member

Some Otsuka and Miyogi Kgoyo i have seen and in some cases tried on during the trip:-

Miyogi Kogyo split toe derby at World Footwear Gallery

[​IMG]

Otsuka RTW at Isetan Mens

[​IMG]

Otsuka Shoten (supposedly higher end range) button boots at Isetan Mens 66,000 yen
    [​IMG]

Otsuka generic RTW whole cut with open channel stitching at Isetan Mens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Ccw55

Ccw55 Active Member

@PeeCeeBee Nice pictures man, these look great! I'm guessing your wallet got a little lighter after visiting these stores [​IMG]

I'm assuming the RTW line all cost approximately 33 000 yen? Any comments on how the quality of the leather looked would be very much appreciated.

4. PeeCeeBee

PeeCeeBee Well-Known Member

Yes indeed the wallet got thinner after the trip.

I suspect the Otsuka RTW at 33000 yen are the imported ones (not made in Japan). Leather looks ok but would prefer those under the Otsuka Shoten range (60K to 70K range).

There are still lots of undiscovered gems in Japan. Love this place.

1 person likes this.
  5. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Handmade by hands - Marquess samples and toe shapes.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Marquess round toes are really beauties.

3 people like this.
  7. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior member

Their chiseled ones too (and I am a man of round toes...).

Those who have handled both Marquess and let's say...Cleverley, how do you think they compare?

8. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

I haven't owned any shoes from either, but seen and handled shoes from both several times. When it comes to the making, Cleverley can be really good sometimes but also, to be frank, quite bad sometimes. All Marquess pairs have been of very high standard all the way through. When it comes to the look of the lasts and design, I personally prefer Cleverley's a bit more balanced look, Marquess is extremely elegant but to me can be a bit too narrow waisted and small heeled.

1 person likes this.
  9. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

The only Cleveleys I've handled has been in Marquess' showroom, and they have all looked swell. As Jesper says, I do think Shoji executes every single pair to a very high level. From what I've seen personally, I think the finishing is quite similar to Fukuda less the patina work that some may enjoy. Seeing both in a few weeks time [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Stefan, have you ever asked Shoji how many hours he and his crew spend on an average pair? This may explain why they look so neat all over.

11. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Think I've asked, but don't know exactly what he said. Think he mentioned well over 100, but I guess it depends a bit on the customer. I can ask him in 3 weeks and give you a better answer.
    For every pair I've had he has made two pair of trial shoes to improve the fit even further. Hopefully we'll make due with one this time.

12. Jacke

Jacke Well-Known Member

Are you going back to Tokyo in 3 weeks? [​IMG]

13. j ingevaldsson

For the whole process I think he said something like over 100 hours to me as well. But if you talk about the making of the final pair, which I believe Ville is onto, that's a lot less.

14. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Jesper, I meant the whole ordeal: measuring, lastmaking, try-on pairs, final pair, finishing, all. 100 hours seems too much for what they charge -- I just hope the company pays its workforce enough to live on and save up with.

15. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Yup! [​IMG]

16. j ingevaldsson

That's the problem for many bespoke shoemakers in Japan. They put in "too much" work compared to what they can charge. So basically noone is making any money, especially not the ones who like Marquess only do full bespoke and not MTM or MTO.

1 person likes this.
  17. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

But it's only a question of time, Japanese shoemakers will discover trunk shows and realize they can charge significantly more abroad than they can charge at home.

I'll stick my neck out: in ten years time we'll have a dozen Japanese shoemakers criss-crossing the globe and taking orders.

3 people like this.
  18. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

I can't say I'm an expert on Japanese shoemakers.
    But having met a few on my recent trip there.... I must say the general vibe I get is that they really seemed more concerned about making a DAMN GOOD pair of shoes, rather than making a lot of money. It almost seemed like a secondary concern.
    I think it's in their DNA, their blood. Whatever they do, they just have so much pride in. None of them want to be second best.

2 people like this.
  19. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

ˆThat is certainly great for the craft, but cordwainers have to eat, live in some place, pay the bills, maybe raise a kid or two, have a vacation. All things we take for granted, and demand for, in the Nordics at least.

Some years ago I interviewed Chihiro Yamaguchi, the main man from Guild of Crafts, and he mentioned that work does give him lots of stress.

There really is a reason for the word 過労死, Karōshi, in the Japanese language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karōshi

20. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I suspect it's not as dire as all that...although it is a different culture. But that said, the real problem is that most Westerners have an unrealistic definition of "enough."

Enough is never enough in the West.

I also suspect that karoshi is far more likely when one is chasing the profits. Stress comes at least partially from frustration and not being able to find any satisfaction or fulfillment. Chasing profits is self-defeating...once you choose to do that, there is never enough.