1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. kydy

kydy Member

I was there on 16 July and I didn't know it's clearance sale until I read this post. The place was crowded and people buy like there is No tomorrow. Very long queue at the cash register.

The shoes floor is crazily packed, but do no harm despite the sale, they are of the same regular price of shoes in Europe (e.g. c&j is around £300 a pair after sale) but there are models which u won't normally see in other parts of the world.

1 person likes this.
  2. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Beautiful shoes by Masaru Okuyama

Side Elastic in Navy, Mr. O Japan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Masaru Okuyama FB

3. meister

meister Senior member

This thread is a veritable feats for shoe lovers because it has moved past mere shoemaking.

The artisans exemplify the art of shoemaking as it used to be practised widely but now is mainly the preserve of bespoke shuhmeisters.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. nutcracker

My good friend and shoeshiner extraordinary Ken Shibata has recently opened up his own shoeshine business called `Polish Made`
    The `store` is actually a concession located inside a tailor shop `Yoshida Suits`, a set up similar to what Mr. FitzPatrick had at G&H London.

Seems like the bulk of their business comes from mail-in shoeshine orders (from all over the country), which is remarkable.
    Ken-san is on location on Mon, Wed, and Fri. for walk in clients.

[​IMG]

Located near the recently opened landmark Toranomon Hills

Polish Made
    @ NEW! Yoshida Suits Toranomon
    1-7-14 Nishishinbashi
    080-3441-3123
    polishmadeshoeshine@gmail.com

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. nutcracker

Here`s another nice bespoke commission, courtesy of Koji Endo bottier (gentile & 79). Another one with rubber insert

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gentille & 79 FB

1 person likes this.
  6. nutcracker

M X Hiroshi Tsubouchi X Amazon

An interesting project produced by Amazon.co.jp, bringing some of the top Japanese RTW makers and minds together to create some interesting shoes. The shoes are sold exclusively through Amazon.co.jp

Hiroshi Tsubouchi
    Plaintoe Derbies in Shinki Cordovan (cognac, navy)
    in some ways a Japanese version of 990

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more pics (as well as pricing) from this amazon.co.jp link

from M`s Blog

7. Deedee

Deedee Senior member

Interesting concept. Can you say anything about the construction of the shoes?
    The colors are lovely.

8. nutcracker

Lovely colours indeed!
    They`re GYW, looks like 360 reverse welt to me. I think they are made by Miyagi Kogyo, but could be wrong.

1 person likes this.
  9. nutcracker

Part II of the Amazon Collaboration,( and perhaps even better than the ones above)

Yoshiharu Hasegawa
    Monkey Boots in Navy Shinki Cordovan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and another lovely pair

Plaintoe Boots in Black Annonay Calf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazon.co.jp link (for more pics)

from M`s Blog

10. nutcracker

and the last of the 3 Japanese manufactures teaming up with Amazon

Guranisuta X M X Amazon
    Plaintoe Derby
    Horween Chromexcel Leather
    Oiled leather sole w/ Cat`s Paw heels

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazon.co.jp link

from M`s Blog

11. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Senior member

Nutcracker, Thanks for posting the link to the Isetan clearance sale a few weeks back. I managed to get there on the Sunday evening -- day 5 of the sale. It was still pretty crowded at that time, though the sales guy told me they had triple the number of customers on Wednesday. I was a bit surprised, Wednesday being a work day and Japan being a country where it's difficult to get away from the office, but he told me lots of guys took the day off work while others drop by when they can during the day and get their shoes shipped to their home address so they don't have to appear at work with shopping bags. Well, so maybe it's not so hard to get out of the office if you really have to. Anyway, there still seemed to be a decent selection of shoes there on the Sunday, at least in my size -- I'm a 9D in Allen Edmonds -- though, as has been mentioned here, even at clearance prices, the shoes weren't cheap. But I did manage to find some blue suede Crockett & Jones boots for ¥35,000. It's a Galway model. While I was in the store debating whether to get them, I tried looking these boots up online but couldn't find anything on them. Finally I decided I probably couldn't go wrong paying that much for C&J and decided to get them. The salesman recommended I try an 8.5 but there weren't any available so he brought back an 8 instead and they seemed to fit fine. Nice looking boots, I thought. I took them for a walk the next day and they were quite comfortable. Here they are. If anyone knows anything about the model, I'd love to hear from you. I assume it must be some made-for-Japan model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. nutcracker

Congrats on your new boots! ¥35K seems like a good steal! Yes, there are a slew of Japan-only C&J models and lasts, and those may very well be one.

13. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

not crazy about the model itself, but that is some great craftsmanship and some beautiful leather!!

1 person likes this.
  14. nutcracker

Marquess Round Toes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The left is a bespoke sample. The right was made for a customer.

4 people like this.
  15. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Visiting Marquess in 9 days. Can't wait to see some beauties for myself.
    Seeing these pictures I'm very happy with my choice of toe.

16. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting demonstration how different camera angles or different focal length can distort a photograph..

On the top picture the toe cap of either shoe looks pretty substantial. But on the bottom picture the caps look considerably smaller.

I wonder, if these Matterhorn insteps Bestetti builds into his shoe are nothing but camera distortions :D.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    5 people like this.
  17. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Senior member

+1

I have found this to be the case with many shoes, actually. I don't think it's a camera/photography thing, though, it's just to do with viewing angles, in general.

Check out these pics (courtesy of Adam Nohlborg) all showing the same Bestetti Maverick:
    http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/924181_548680075220249_1214292511_n.jpg
    http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/1389676_190591641129858_1723960188_n.jpg
    http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/1209609_647227335300682_1529931576_n.jpg
    http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/b735fc4c632c11e385d60a1aa2973036_8.jpg
    http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10369358_1391138444508464_1582406121_n.jpg

1 person likes this.
  18. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Very very good.
    Thank you for posting it,
    it very very interesting.

1 person likes this.
  19. nutcracker

Great news Stephan!

Both of the shoes above are made with his `smart round` MARQUESS ROUND style. The chestnut one based his sample last and the chocolate one based on a client`s foot. While the sample is obviously made to look slim and smart, I really like how the `real world` one came out very classic looking.

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

gorgeous lasts