Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

^^ I agree. Definitely more expensive than what I'd be willing to pay for them. For that price (and a little more), you can already go bespoke with some of the makers posted here by NC.

2. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those shoes were made on a very limited run, and were the results of a somewhat publicised 3-way collaboration between Regal X Isetan X men`s fashion blogger `M`.

I suppose the followers of `M`s Blog (350K monthly views and over 30K unique viewers) were the main targets??

M`s blog entry for more pics

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. barky

barky Senior member

Arrgghh! Will be in Japan during this period but in Kansai instead [​IMG]. That brogue or apron derby looks nice. NC, just got back from your other neck of the woods but didn't do much shoe gazing. Wanted to drop by JL at Bellavita but unforseen circumstances put that idea to rest. I think I passed by Kamioka's factory on the way to the airport from Taichung though. The W event was a fantastic idea, wish more of these could be held in the future in other cities. Any ideas where I could gaze JLs in Osaka/Kyoto?

4. Alter

Alter Senior member

John Lobb? There is a shop in the basement of the Hilton Hotel in Osaka....Hilton Plaza East.

5. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I see. Guess people like me (who have no idea who M is) were not really the intended target.

BTW, NC, I'm thinking of getting another pair from Trading Post. Was wondering if you know of other Japanese shoe brands out there that I should also be considering (same price point, c. 40,000yen ~). I originally thought of sending this as a PM, but decided to just post it here as others may also benefit from the answer. Thanks!

6. barky

barky Senior member

Thanks Alter. Found the details on their website. Will try to pop in on the way to pick up some Kamakura shirts. NC, are Kamioka shoes available in Osaka/Kyoto? Might be interested in the the apron loafer.

7. nutcracker

The JLs in Taiwan cost a bit less than Japan (maybe 15% or so), but are available only in EE ( Japan carries the standard E width).
    Interesting that you drove past Kamioka`s factory! Never been there, but I think its kinda obscure, and is called Turn Right Shoes in Chinese.
    I`ve heard that Kamioka is planning to open a store in Kyoto next year, so guess you`re out of luck for now!

8. Alter

Alter Senior member

Barky,

Note that the Kamakura Shirt shop is known as "Maker's Shirt" in Japan so look for that at the mall. It can be a bit confusing to find your way around the Grand Front Osaka mall where it is located so give yourself a bit of extra time. If you are interested in shoes then a swing by the "Hankyu Men's" department store in Umeda is worth a visit. The shoes are on the ground floor...a good selection, including EG, G&G etc.

If you need any other Osaka info please ask I have lived herd for a long time. I know less about Kyoto but in my experience you will find more high-end stuff in Osaka than Kyoto.

9. nutcracker

TP Originals are excellent for the price, probably the best regarded among the `house brand` shoes.
    There`s lots of shoes available in the ¥40K or so price range, I`ll just mention some that I know. Others probably have their preferences too. Feel free to chip in!

Otsuka Shoes starts at sub ¥40K (they also have a higher end RTW line)
    The above mentioned Kamioka also fits right into the price range (40K). They are a Taiwanese brand, made in Laos, but the quality (leather, construction) are very good for the price. They also make shoes for D.C.Lewis/Kent Wang across the pond in US.
    Lloyd Footwer in Ginza and Aoyama (I think their shoes are actually made in the UK but sold exclusively in Japan)

If you`re willing to spend up to ¥50K, MIYAGI KOGYO`s high end RTW line and CENTRAL shoes are highly regarded. They`re available at World Footwear Gallery. MK captoes cost ¥49K, but with free membership, I think you get 5% off

There are also MTO only brands that start from ¥40K or so, such as Hiroshi Arai[ or WASO RYOKA, (both produced by Miyagi Kogyo).

10. barky

barky Senior member

I don't know whether it is the factory or not but there was a factory with a huge Kamioka sign painted on the whole roof right at the exit/entry into the freeway.

11. barky

barky Senior member

Yeah, I am aware of that and also it is only 50USD/shirt[​IMG]. Thanks for the offer but this trip is a pretty short one, the itinerary is very tight with not much time for shopping or gazing. Will be spending most of my time taking some friends around Kyoto for koyo and Nara and some nice dinners. However, with Trading Post, Old Hats, Beams and United Arrows surrounding my hotel, might try to pop in for a look see. Will also see if I can try on the Corno Blu loafer or lazyman at Beams now that Kamioka is not available in Kansai. Imported shoes are just too expensive to buy in Japan except maybe for St C at US1.5K in Trading Post. Still wishing I'm in Tokyo instead for the Yanagimachi pattern order! 130k is very very reasonable.

12. Alter

Alter Senior member

Ahhh...you know your way around well. Just noticed that there was a Crocket & Jones Trunk show at the Beams at Grand Front but it is finishing today, unfortunately. Dress warm, it is going down to 6C tomorrow. But it should be a nice time for the autumn leaves in Kyoto...I was there last weekend and it was just starting to get colourful.

13. barky

barky Senior member

Certainly hope it will be cool and nice. Was in Taiwan whole of last week and it was still in high 20's, way too hot. Will be in Kansai right smack at the super peak koyo season, last week of Nov, and am dreading the hordes in and around Kyoto. Appreciate your tips and help, thanks.

14. nutcracker

Yup, still in short sleeves and pants in Taiwan!! (finally getting cooler though)

+1 to Hankyu Men`s, probably the best selection in Osaka. Kobe is just an hour or so away too!!!! but I`m sure you`ll be busy and having fun with all the `non-shoe` activities in Kyoto and Nara.! :)

p.s. 150K JPY for St.C on their website may possibly be outdated info!

15. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I know.