1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. BespokeMakers

BespokeMakers Senior member

Hi,NC!
    Thank you for sharing photo.
    Fantastic!

1 person likes this.
  2. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

:) its actually from a GQ article

3. BespokeMakers

4. nutcracker

Will be snowing hard in Tokyo for the next 2 days... will be a bummer for the Il Micio Show

Last weekend, Spigola`s Tokyo bespoke show was also hit with a massive snow storm....what is up with that :facepalm:

5. nutcracker

Shoemaker MASARU OKUYAMA from Hong Kong featured on Wallpaper Tudor Style File (including a video interview)

Link to Wallpaper

Some of the excellent pictures from the lengthy feature:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. BespokeMakers

7. letsi

letsi Senior member

Hi NC,

Apologies for quoting an old post but may I know if Tokyu Hands stocks the Cordovan creme series from Saphir as well?
    May I know how much do these saphir products sell for on average?

Thanks again for providing us all these interesting information from Japan :slayer:

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Here's a recrafting fairytale come true from Guild of Crafts, complete with sound effects to boot!

2 people like this.
  9. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Ugh I remember Tokyu Hands. I bought a great knife there a few years ago. Still by far my favorite.

Can't have been more than $80 at the time, but still cuts far better than some of the $200 plus ones Ive tried from William Sonoma.

10. lexmann

lexmann Senior member

No machine is involved. I am speechless

11. lexmann

lexmann Senior member

Btw, I am heading to Tokyo in early March. Beside the Menswear Dept in Isetan, Ginza, TOMORROWLAND, Beams, Tokyu Hands...where else should I visit (for clothing and shoes)? I will be there for 3 nights only.

12. realkingo

realkingo Member

United Arrows and Estnation also have wide selection of men's wear. (There are quite similiar to BEAMS and Tomorrowland, though.)
    These stores have outlets throughout Tokyo, but in my opinion around Tokyo Station (also called Marunouchi) in the Shin-Marunouchi Tower and Marunouchi Tower you will most likely find these stores without getting lost and at one place if you don't have that much time.

Also there is a Barney's New York outlet in Ginza.
    Mitsukoshi and Matsuya, two of the most famous Japanese department stores, in Giza also offer a broad selction.

13. lexmann

lexmann Senior member

Many thanks for the info!

14. nutcracker

Great info! plus 1 on Marunouchi / Ginza area. Sovereign House, Strasburgo, are also great places for classic menswear in Marunouchi. At Ginza, you can also find World Footwear Gallery, Guild of Crafts (for MTO), BEAMS Ginza (equally good as the one in Marunouchi) and Trading Post, aside from the usual suspects of European brand boutiques.

1 person likes this.
  15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

If you also want to check out more fashion-oriented but very high quality menswear in that area, I would take a look at the Hankyu Men's Department Store, also in Ginza, a very short walk from the Yurakucho JR Yamanote line station. It's fascinating even if you don't want to buy Issey Miyake, Yohji Yamamoto et al., and they also have some very good CM shops, inc. MTM / bespoke stuff and an alterations tailors.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  16. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. nutcracker

Thanks letsi!

Yes, Tokyu Hands Shinjuku (where I took pictures at) do stock the Cordovan creams by Saphir (the square ones), in 4 colors. I recall they also stock cordovan creams made by Columbus (Japanese). The good thing about TH is that they also allow you to test the products out (on the shoes you`re wearing). If Shinjuku store is not convenient for you, Tokyu Hands in Ginza (above United Arrows) has an equally good selection of shoe care products.

Bamboo is right on with the price. 1800 for shoe cream, 2100 for cordovan cream / Reno.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

lexmann, with GoC's prices, using machines would just be naughty. If memory serves, nutcracker mentioned that they are the most expensive Japanese cordwainer shop.

19. nutcracker

Guild`s repair shop (`Guild Arms`) charges ¥31K~ JPY (310 USD) for Hand rewetting, and ¥10K~ JPY (100 USD) for hand out stitching. The boots on the video probably goes for ¥41K JPY and up ($410 USD).

The boots above were factory made (maker unknown) that were recrafted by hand at Guild (apparently the original manufacturer refused to repair). Guild also offers exclusive service for repairing bespoke shoes (from any maker).

http://www.guild-arms.com/Repair_Menu/repair.html
    http://www.guild-arms.com/Repair_Menu/handsewn.html

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Some great advice, and certainly the Ginza/Marunouchi area has an outstanding selection of different menswear and department stores.

After you've visited the very narrow World Footwear Gallery store (which, if I remember correctly, is all of about 2m wide!), you could go next door and have a refreshing cup of tea at the Mariage Freres teahouse.

1 person likes this.