1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Very interesting leather. How well does it hold up and how does one care for it? Where can one source some? Thanks!

2. jaythejet

jaythejet Well-Known Member

Oh wow those shoes look awesome. At first glance they look like stingray leather shoes. Well done! :slayer:

3. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

These came out quite nicely. How have they been wearing?

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Very interesting, and they look lovely. I'd be interested to know how the leather holds up, though, as I wonder if the lacquering and the treatment would make it more prone to cracking when worn.

5. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

From what I understand, the lacquer isn`t `painted` over the leather per se, but rather soaked in / rubbed in multiple application into a piece of hand-boarded leather. The Kurozan leather retains the softness/pliability, while the soaked in lacquer resin provide durability (vs fading or scratching). The color apparently ages slowly and gracefully like a Japanese lacquerware. Until recently, they were most commonly used for Kendo fencing gears (and of course, for samurai armours before that). Now they are being used for a wide range of premium leather gears (bags, wallets, shoes). They cost a bit more than shell cordovan.

Here is an interesting urushi lacquered Russian calf leather made by Sakamoto Shoten, the manufacturer of `kurozan leather`. Made by Three2four.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the wallet that came out of it.
    [​IMG]

The interior is made of Horween`s whisky cordovan. Interesting.
    [​IMG]

Link (shoemaker Zinryu`s blog)

Sakamoto Shoten (from what I know, the only source of kurozan leather for shoes)
    http://himejikurozan.net

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. nutcracker

ISETAN`s Winter Clearance Sale starts tomorrow 1/15! A healthy selection of mid~high end shoes are expected to be on sale at 30%.

[​IMG]

List of brands on sale (Japanese)

7. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Nutcracker, would you be so kind as to advise whether there have been additions to the list that you posted previously? I have Vass in mind, in particular.

I am staying in Shinjuku, but foolishly lost track of the days and thought the sale was a few days away yet!

So I shall be the Gaijin in the blue cable-knit sweater, do say hi if you spot me.

8. BespokeMakers

BespokeMakers Senior member

3 people like this.
  9. nutcracker

The brand list (on the link) seems to be incomplete. I have been to the sale year after year, and there were always a good selection of high end brands such as JL, EG, Vass, CJ etc...(especially on the first few days). Aside from shoes (B1F floor), I always like to check for deals on (1F) shirts/knits, (5F) classic menswear. Ring Jacket is on 4F.

The first few days are insanely packed, so Good luck!! and I sure will tap on your shoulder if I see you!!

Btw, Spigola MTO Trunk Show will be held the next day on 1/16 (Thur) at United Arrows Roppongi, followed by Il Quadrifoglio Bespoke Trunk Show at WFG Kioicho Store (in New Otani Hotel) from 1/17.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  10. The False Prophet

Thanks very much! I am excited and a little scared. Do I recall that people line up from the early hours of the morning? What time should I come, if I would actually like to get in?

Edit: I had a good look at Spigola after your earlier post, thank you. I think that I could probably afford it now, but you mentioned that there was a price hike due which would probably put it beyond my range for the future, alas.

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, I've only worn them twice. I'll let you know in due course how the leather behaves in the mid- to longer term.

Funny thing, I had a pair of llama shoes already: chukka boots by Silvano Sassetti for the last eight years or so. It a textured leather, but I didn't know what beast it came from.

I'm pretty sure now, they are in llama leather.

1 person likes this.
  12. nutcracker

The line is there only during the store opening, and yes, they are very very long by the time the store opens at 10:30. Fortunately it moves quite fast, and if I recall correctly, you should be able to enter the store in 5~10 minutes or so. Honestly I have no idea why people line up hours before the opening (supposed to snow tomorrow morning!).

I highly recommend you to check out the Spigola shoes (whether you`ll order one or not). They definitely look better in person. I think Mr. Suzuki (Etsuo) will only show up on the weekend, and UA staffs are there to take orders instead.

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

love these shoes and the punch mini-swan neck

2 people like this.
  14. The False Prophet

Thanks again! Check your PMs :)

1 person likes this.
  15. nutcracker

ISETAN MEN`S Winter Clearance Sale

Plenty of sale-hungry men came to line up, despite being the coldest day of the year so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hurray!

[​IMG]
    B1F Shoes Section!

[​IMG]

The selection was good, but not spectacular IMO. EG were on sale from ¥94,000 and up (Dover priced at ¥115K). Vass shoes were all going for ¥60,000, Bemer RTW for ¥130K or so. C&J Handgrades (a decent selection) were priced at ¥63,000, and there were plenty of benchgrades too. Other sale brands that caught my eyes were Sanyo Yamacho, Meermin, Trickers, Paraboot, Santoni (regular/limited), BB (Peal & Co) Perfetto, Otsuka, Shetland Fox, Jalan Srivijaya. However, a lot of high end RTW brands were not on sale at all, including Foster & Son, Corthay, Anthony Cleverly, JM Weston, Alden.

1 person likes this.
  16. BespokeMakers

Spigola MTO shoes just arrived at bespoke SUIT 110
    Photos from bespoke SUIT 110

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. nutcracker

Those are some really good stuffs!!! Also love the new shoe bags made from tweed(?)

Tokyo Trunk show starts tomorrow!!!

18. BespokeMakers

2 people like this.
  19. nutcracker

20. BespokeMakers

Everyone loves il Quadrifoglio.
    They really wants these shoes.

This thread have a great deal of influence.
    NC,you are making a great contribution to bespoke shoes culture.
    Keep up the good work!

2 people like this.