• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fellow Guild alumnus Masaru Okuyama-san (who also make spectacular shoes btw), was trained alongside Ohno-san. I heard they keep in touch regularly.

The ¥315,000 price for shoes doesn't include trees. With trees included, they would be ¥345,000 or so.
The riding boots go for ¥493,000, but I would expect those massive trees to cost quite a bit (but no where near what JL St.James charge)

The price is not cheap indeed, but actually on par with most Tokyo-based shoemakers (many have also raised their prices recently). Unfortunately TYE doesn't do MTO shoes.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trial shoes by TYE Shoemaker

The shoes I posted a lil while ago in their 'completed' forms.... and ready for the trial session...

The burgundy one on the right is actually made from a single piece (whole cut).

I must say the client is a very lucky man.... they both look quite stunning.

I wonder... Which one did he choose?.....

TYE Shoemaker Facebook

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice, I would pick the burgundy if I was the client

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Would be hard not to say "both, and make me a blue one and a tan one too".

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Very nice, I would pick the burgundy if I was the client

I'm actually feeling some love for that black one.....a sleek plain toe with just enough details to differentiate

Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
needs a medalion to balance the desgn and the ging else where, basicall it make the toe look bould IMO

barky

Reaction score
Trial shoes by TYE Shoemaker

The shoes I posted a lil while ago in their 'completed' forms.... and ready for the trial session...

The burgundy one on the right is actually made from a single piece (whole cut).

I must say the client is a very lucky man.... they both look quite stunning.

I wonder... Which one did he choose?.....

TYE Shoemaker Facebook
And these are only test shoes! The attention to details is amazing, look at how he lines up the broguing on the tongue of burgundy pair to those on the facing.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm actually feeling some love for that black one.....a sleek plain toe with just enough details to differentiate

Many Hong Kong shoemakers used this method for lasting (the extended lining), it is much better than make a stupid hole on the upper like some Englsh shoemakers :brick:

However, I saw Masaru Okuyama San used a even better trick to do it.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many Hong Kong shoemakers used this method for lasting (the extended lining), it is much better than make a stupid hole on the upper like some Englsh shoemakers :brick:

However, I saw Masaru Okuyama San used a even better trick to do it.

That is some true attention to detail by Okuyama.

Some English shoemakers intentionally tack at the heel counter to hint the shoes are bespoke. And for my G&G orders, I specifically requested to not tack at the heel counter to avoid that not-so-carefully-concealed hole. But such request is null at JLP.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nutcracker, got the books today, very good colourful information, very happy.

They're not particularly deep in content, but a nice set of handbooks with lotsa visuals (of Ivy-boys, of course!)

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, here is something that is truly amazing.....

Below are the pictures of a brand new pair of bespoke croc (nubuck) loafers made by TYE Shoemaker for an eccentric client. This gentleman apparently has a penchant for wearing multiple layers (4 layers) of socks. The loafers (in a style of JMW's 180 and Alden's LHS) came out a bit on a wider side as a result, but I think TYE did a good job putting it all together....

The client also asked Ohno to somehow have his own name marked on the shoes to make them more personal. He envisioned something like his initials stitched on the shoes' quarters etc.... but left it for Ohno to decide.

This is what Ohno-san came up with to surprise his client.

Since the shoes were penny loafers, he designed a pair of sterling silver coins with the client's face on one side, and his family crest on the other to be inserted into the shoes.

I was speechless when Ohno-san showed me the coins. I can only imagine how his client reacted to this surprise. Perhaps this is something that was practiced long ago in the UK or US?? Not sure, but still, an amazing effort.

Penny loafers in Croc Nubuck w/ sterling silver coins (with the client's face and family crest)

Seriously, I would like to see if anyone can top this :worship:

TYE Shoemaker Facebook

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harder to be born into aristocracy than having a pair of croc loafers made lol.

Is this the omakase type of order? Clever way of filling the spec.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads