• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese shoe Appreciation [pictures!]

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks - accidentally hit the post button while writing and then my internet crashed. The post is now complete! As there are obviously some shoe connoiseurs in this forum I thought I would put together some snippets from Japanese men's magazines for your viewing pleasure! My offer to translate passages in either English or German if they were legibly scanned seems to have been ignored on another post. Perhaps people thought I was only kidding. Well then I have not only scanned pics for you but translated selections of the text for you! Requests for further details on the texts are more than welcome. First is something from Zegna. It is a combination which includes some crocodile in the design - they call it a 'half-croc' in the text. The sole uses Goodyear high performance construction. This is a special edition limited to 10 pairs and when it retails for 450000 Yen "it ain't for the kiddies"! You can read the English word 'SEXY' in the text if you look carefully.
leonzegna0uh.jpg
Next is a long nosed loafer from Round the Shoes - a maker I had never come across before.
leonaroundtheshoes6va.jpg
This edition of Leon was heavy on the johdpurs. They say that amongst the cognescenti that you hear people murmuring that Henry Beguelin make really great shoes. Interesting they talk about the Santoni as having a classy sort of 'English' look to it. The colour is a deep purple suede. Their suggestion is to wear it with a grey houndtooth blazer and white cord trousers. They point out that the Testoni has the buckle in the right spot to make it easy to put on and remove.
leon1146se.jpg
Next, from the same edition of Leon, they talk about the evolution of the basics to become something really seductive. The Edward Green is a bit sleeker and lower with a sexy long silhouette. The John Lobb has a slim nose tip; the J.M. Weston a bit square nosed. The Grensons have a constrasting top. The C&J's too are sleeker at the nose.
leon1071xz.jpg
This last page from the magazine 'Leon' is of all jodhpurs. Particularly impressive is the one on the top is by J.M. Weston (141750 Yen) which also featured in some J.M. Weston ads. Design by Michel Perry for the Savile Line with a tapered heel and rounded toe (Model #578). Next with the single strap is the #722 by JM Weston (113400 Yen). Bottom is #580 using the same last as the top one.
leonjohdpurs7hm.jpg
I couldn't help throwing in another view of the same J.M. Preston johdpurs, this time from the magazine "Men's Club".
mensclubjmpreston0bl.jpg
They open by sighing: "It's beautiful - too beautiful"

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
everybody loves hot asian Appreciation. please post away....

jtw3036

Reaction score
Sator thank you

I will be scanning a few back issues of Last magazine and LAPITA.

I for one would greatly appreciate your offer to translate for the forum.
smile.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
very nice gesture sator, thank you.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy reading the articles myself so it is my pleasure, really. Only thing is that I will restrict myself to extracting useful factual information from the texts. Remember, this is not exactly high literature and all fashion mags are full of the usual inconsequential 'wow wee...wiz bang...that's so cool man....whoopee' type of statements. Throw in plays on words, colloquialisms, and witty comments and it becomes a translators worst nightmare. Trust you me, I can do a formal full word-for-word translation (I have done this sort of thing professionally before) but it is just so damned time-consuming and the amount you as a reader will get out of it will be too little for me to justify the time and effort.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I enjoy reading the articles myself so it is my pleasure, really.

Only thing is that I will restrict myself to extracting useful factual information from the texts. Remember, this is not exactly high literature and all fashion mags are full of the usual inconsequential 'wow wee...wiz bang...that's so cool man....whoopee' type of statements.

Especially in some of those japanese mags: I would imagine that Mr. Vass is described as the "super-terrific-happy-neato-shoe-guy!".
laugh.gif

koji

La Grinca

Reaction score
Saror: very interesting, thanks for your efforts. Do you by any chance have a copy of Men's Ex of January 2006? It included their best dressed list. While most of the text is guessable by us non-Japanese speakers. I would be interested to know who the guy is who is no.3 - Primo Guercilena. He appears in Japanese mags. quite frequently. Same goes for no.6 Franco Minucci.
If you haven't got the issue I could try to scan and send it.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by La Grinca
Do you by any chance have a copy of Men's Ex of January 2006? It included their best dressed list. While most of the text is guessable by us non-Japanese speakers. I would be interested to know who the guy is who is no.3 - Primo Guercilena. He appears in Japanese mags. quite frequently. Same goes for no.6 Franco Minucci.
If you haven't got the issue I could try to scan and send it.

Sorry, I've got the May and June issues but not the Jan issue. If you scan the pages I'll tell you what the text says

Brian SD

Reaction score
Very nice!! I love the santonis that the dude is wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads