• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Selvage Denim Jean Recommendations Please. First Time Buyer. Slim, Tapered.

drunkmonk36

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new pair of jeans.

Please recommend me some of the top Japanese Selvedge Denim jean brands to check out.

I currently wear Nudie Slim Jim and like that slim, tapered fit.

I'm wanting something a little undiscovered and not likely to be common here in Australia.

Price isn't really a concern but obviously within reason.

Happy to get them proxied.

Thanks in advance!

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naked & Famous if you're on a budget. Probably the best brand for the <$200 price range. Then you can start looking at 3Sixteen or APC.

Dexnazoid

Reaction score
Cheap and decent quality: Unbranded UB201 or UB101

15 oz japanese selvedge denim

Cheers

drunkmonk36

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not on a budget and was hoping for something different than the usual, common brands such as 3Sixteen, N&F, APC, Iron Heart, Flat Head etc.

Was interested in Kicking Mule until I read they were made in China.

C'mon, drop a list on me someone.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is supposedly very good when it comes to bang for the buck.
Will be my next denim purchase.

I'm currently still quite pleased with my Japan Blue 0701 which is also very nice within its price range.

My favourites are still the Sugarcane Sexsc02.
Should you decide on those, send me a PM. I know a place that sill has them.

Last edited:

drunkmonk36

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Crat.

I've got too much Albam stuff already otherwise I'd definitely be keen to try those out! Most of their stuff is great quality.

Would prefer them to be made in Japan also.

I'll look into the Japan Blue range.

Don't think the cut of the Sugarcanes would suit me, but I'll look a bit further into those as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The canes' fit (sz 32) is actually similar to the 0701(sz31) in my experience.

Last edited:

shakanar

Reaction score
I know you said Japanese but you also stated undiscovered. A good option would maybe be Stovall and Young. They are located in San Francisco, CA. Good price and have a change pocket that you can fit your whole cellphone into. www.stovallandyoung.com

Last edited:

drunkmonk36

Reaction score

I know you said Japanese but you also stated undiscovered. A good option would maybe be Stovall and Young. They are located in San Francisco, CA. Good price and have a change pocket that you can fit your whole cellphone into. www.stovallandyoung.com 

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd like to stick with Japanese denim and made/cut in Japan at this stage.

Can anyone suggest some specific models, similar cut to the Slim Jim? - Not Thin Finn skinny, but good to rock with low-top sneakers (no cuff).

Cheers!

Last edited:

drunkmonk36

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads