• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Online Stores Proxy Service ZenMarket.jp - Official Affiliate Vendor

HahaLmao

Reaction score
That's really unfortunate. Have you tried reaching out to them to get confirmation? I know a website that doesn't allow value adjustments on 200,000+ yen items but I've never purchased anything that expensive on ZenMarket. I think we may need a new proxy that doesn't have absurd fees and allows value adjustments.

Reaching out as we speak. Will update with any details. Though I'm not sure if they will simply make an exception for me, as I believe everyone should be receiving the same message.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair to ZenMarket (not that I'm defending them) I don't blame them for not responding on a public forum about whether they allow their customers to mark down the prices of packages as it is against the law. Look at what happened with the Jon Gruden emails, written things leave a paper trail.

As someone who wants to buy a bunch of **** from Japan I know what you are all going through and feel your pain. I ended up buying off Mr. P to avoid the whole thing.

mugur9

Reaction score
Does anybody know fromjapan still allows you to declare value of the items as you please?

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair to ZenMarket (not that I'm defending them) I don't blame them for not responding on a public forum about whether they allow their customers to mark down the prices of packages as it is against the law. Look at what happened with the Jon Gruden emails, written things leave a paper trail.

As someone who wants to buy a bunch of **** from Japan I know what you are all going through and feel your pain. I ended up buying off Mr. P to avoid the whole thing.
You’re absolutely right!

Still a well worded email would have been appreciated and could have avoided fault. I’m sure they have a very good idea of how many of their customers use the markdown service and they would also know that disabling that specific feature without warning would frustrate those customers.

HahaLmao

Reaction score
Reaching out as we speak. Will update with any details. Though I'm not sure if they will simply make an exception for me, as I believe everyone should be receiving the same message.

Basically just got a curt response saying that the changes were out of their control. It is what it is. This will be my last package with them.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically just got a curt response saying that the changes were out of their control. It is what it is. This will be my last package with them.
I was waiting on my last item to arrive today and created a package. I'm shipping to Canada (not that should make a difference) and with DHL or FedEx I could mark down the price, but with UPS I couldn't.

Seems really strange that some uses and carriers can markdown packages, while others can't.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you tried shipping with EMS? Even if they don't let you markdown I haven't received customs bills from them (in 3 transactions) whereas I always have from UPS/FedEx/DHL.

HahaLmao

Reaction score
Have you tried shipping with EMS? Even if they don't let you markdown I haven't received customs bills from them (in 3 transactions) whereas I always have from UPS/FedEx/DHL.

I'd try it out, but I'm slightly hesitant because there's supposedly a 1-2 week delay. I'd rather the items get through the logistics systems as quickly as possible. If I may ask, what were the values of your 3 deliveries?

HahaLmao

Reaction score
I was waiting on my last item to arrive today and created a package. I'm shipping to Canada (not that should make a difference) and with DHL or FedEx I could mark down the price, but with UPS I couldn't.

Seems really strange that some uses and carriers can markdown packages, while others can't.

That's news to me! I do think that maybe the difference would be between Canada and the US. Hence why I asked yesterday if everyone was seeing the same messages. So if anything, that at least confirms that Zenmarket must have gotten a slap on the wrist by an authority figure sometime between last week and this week.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd try it out, but I'm slightly hesitant because there's supposedly a 1-2 week delay. I'd rather the items get through the logistics systems as quickly as possible. If I may ask, what were the values of your 3 deliveries?

One of them was over $1000 (Margiela 5 zip) but the other 2 were around $500 to $700. I don't know what the customs cut off was but I'm positive UPS/FedEx/DHL would've charged me customs for all 3 when I believe only the first package should've been charged.

I've gotten significant bills from the non-USPS delivery services for stuff that was under $300 a few times. I contested it and had to argue with them for a few days pulling up the customs law before they dropped the fees.

Last edited:

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From one Canadian to another, I commend your desire to get stuff from across the Pacific despite EMS still being down for us. Do you mark your stuff down to below our pitiful import threshold to avoid customs, or do you still get hit with fees to some degree?

My last ZM package was around this time last year, I think? This was right before EMS service to Canada shut down again. I haven't made any orders since.

illiterate

Reaction score
When I was able to mark down stuff to 1,000 yen, I never used to get hit by extra fees with DHL to Canada. Now with the 10% rule, you'll get hit with anywhere from 20-30cad. Nothing too crazy and honestly still worth it.

For example, I bought something pretty expensive recently. Marked it down to ~15,000 yen and was only hit for $26cad in duties/fees/customs etc...

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From one Canadian to another, I commend your desire to get stuff from across the Pacific despite EMS still being down for us. Do you mark your stuff down to below our pitiful import threshold to avoid customs, or do you still get hit with fees to some degree?

My last ZM package was around this time last year, I think? This was right before EMS service to Canada shut down again. I haven't made any orders since.
Yeah, I typically mark it down to under $20 and don’t get hit with any fees. I hate UPS and FedEx with a passion, so I would much rather use EMS even though it takes longer.

mich486

Reaction score
Yeah something is going on, since yesterday they suspended (temporarily) the service to the UK because of VAT issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads