• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese jeans Regular fit

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Guys, list all the premium jeans from japan that have a regular fit with a good size cuff opening. I don't want baggy or relaxed and I don't want slim, just a flattering regular fit with a straight or slight flare a la RRDS. I like the fit of the ralfs but I'm looking for something only slightly wider in the knee and cuff only. Thanks fellas.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Guys, list all the premium jeans from japan that have a regular fit with a good size cuff opening. I don't want baggy or relaxed and I don't want slim, just a flattering regular fit with a straight or slight flare a la RRDS. I like the fit of the ralfs but I'm looking for something only slightly wider in the knee and cuff only. Thanks fellas.

I think SDA makes a fit like that... how low a rise do you want?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Woops forgot to mention that. I want a mid-rise anywhere b/w 10.25-11. Don't want nut-hugging jeans nor 80s jeans. Appreciate it fellas.

PS. I'm still going to try 5eps when I go to LA this w/e.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Woops forgot to mention that. I want a mid-rise anywhere b/w 10.25-11. Don't want nut-hugging jeans nor 80s jeans. Appreciate it fellas. PS. I'm still going to try 5eps when I go to LA this w/e.
I think you would like 5EP straights or low down boots but SDAs are nice as well, if you want raw. I really love my 5EP low down boots or straight zips.

Brian SD

Reaction score
To be honest you're basically talking about a million different pairs of jeans. Though none of them will be as flattering as RRDS, pretty much every Japanese denim company we've ever discussed makes a pair that match your criteria.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Funny you should say that. Out of all the jeans I've seen on here I wouldn't say any of them are exactly what I'm looking for. It would help me out a lot if you guys could give me specific models of 45rpm, pbj, sda etc because I would love to pick some up.

Drizz, I've been thinking about those for awhile now.

mth

Reaction score
I would recommend 45rpm Sorahiko's or the D'Artisan SD-101's. I have both, and they're both fairly "regular" in fit, except I think the Sorahiko's are slightly fuller throughout and have a tad higher rise.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you find any, let me know. i gave up on the quest. japanese people are little. their jeans don't fit me. get the 5EP straight downs.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
if you find any, let me know. i gave up on the quest. japanese people are little. their jeans don't fit me. get the 5EP straight downs.

interesting, last time i checked, jeans made by little japanese people come in a sorts of sizes and fits. maybe you didn't look hard enough.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Come on guys, let's keep them coming. The problem I am seeing with the ***. stuff is the rises are too high and the regular fits looked relaxed rather than regular. Also the leg openings seem smallish to me, I'd like 9-9.5 inch b/c I'm somewhat of a big guy but I like my jeans slouchy. If you guys could give me more style numbers to look out for that would be great *tips hat*

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
interesting, last time i checked, jeans made by little japanese people come in a sorts of sizes and fits. maybe you didn't look hard enough.
didn't mean to offend. i know people that live in Japan that buy their clothes in America for the same reason. anyway, I did some research. I ended up getting Sugar Canes 1947, and I can't get them much higher than my knees. they're wayyy too tight. for the record, I happen to think my ralf's are a little tight in the thigh too, but they're bearable.

mizanation

Reaction score
no offense taken, but you just didn't make any sense.

clothes, yes, it's hard to get large sizes in japan, but jeans? most manufactureres go up to 38 at least. unless you have a size 40 waist, you shouldn't have a problem finding something to fit you.

the fact that you can't put on your SC47s is not the fault of the jean manufacturer--you just bought a size (or two) too small.

moreover, the SC47 is an exact replica of the levi 501. so if the fit is bothering you, it's not a "japanese fit thing" but a "post-war united states thing".

anyhow.... back to the original question. take a look at the Studio D'Artisan D1002. it has a slight boot cut and it looks great. also, it's made with SDA's amazing denim.

Studio D'Artisan D1002

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Thanks man, I think those would be too slim for me. If I do straight I want something similar to a sorahiko. Keep the suggestions coming guys.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
didn't mean to offend. i know people that live in Japan that buy their clothes in America for the same reason. anyway, I did some research. I ended up getting Sugar Canes 1947, and I can't get them much higher than my knees. they're wayyy too tight. for the record, I happen to think my ralf's are a little tight in the thigh too, but they're bearable.

sounds like you fell victim to a case of "supersizing", or when you buy 2 sizes too small because teenagers on the internet think its cool to size down 2 or more inches and stretch out the jeans till they fit. usually seen with "queerbuttons", where the top button of your jeans is undone, usually used to show other NAMBLA members youre on the prowl.

this can be avoided by actually taking a tape measure and measuring yourself where the jeans should sit. buy one wash jeans to take any other sizing issues out of the picture.

Reaction score
so strange, 47's seem to me a rather forgiving, generous cut. my favorite, probably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads