1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by raley, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

The striations I'm talking about with the 811 are quite different from, say, the Nudie natural indigo or the l.e. Sven.

Here's good pictures:

http://denim-gallery.heavy.jp/eternal_811-6.html

Notice the clearly apparent vertical lines. I don't know why this happens. It's starting to become apparent on mine, even though they've been worn very little (only six weeks... I'm breaking in my SDAs right now). My SDAs are not doing this.

yea, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think that it may be a result of warp threads that vary GREATLY, and weft threads not so much. The SDA's may have less variation - thicker threads overall, or perhaps thicker weft threads.

The way I see it, each vertical "line" is just one warp thread that was thick enough that it was more susceptible to abrasion, and thus will fade quicker than the others. The Eternals may be woven in such a way that every couple warp threads, there's a really thick one that fades fast.

An analogy to how I see it (since I love analogies): imagine you're scraping your knuckles along a stucco wall. Your middle knuckle, which sticks out the most, is going to get ripped up the fastest, while your little knuckle will be scraped less because it's not touching the wall as much.

2. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

45rpms run about 66% of the price stateside after conversion. That's how I got my pair.

Dan

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The Japanese invented denim, you know...

4. lupin23rd

lupin23rd Well-Known Member

Haha guitarwolf jeans, awesome!

Anybody got a pair and want to comment on the fit?

m

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

45rpms run about 66% of the price stateside after conversion. That's how I got my pair.

Dan

So then, Jomons would be what.. $500 or so in Japan?

6. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

The Japanese invented denim, you know...

I thought it was the French and/or Italians.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

They may have invented denim but it took the Swedish to reveal the naked truth to the world.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The Japanese invented the Swedish.

9. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

So then, Jomons would be what.. $500 or so in Japan?

I don't know about Jomons, but someone on the other sf got a pair of distressed sorahikos ($478 in NY) for $403 (including shipping) from Juno. Said the retail price was 33,400 (~$278 US).

Looks like the price for one-wash Sorahiko's in Japan is only 24,150 (~$205 US) and they retail for $333 in NY.

That's a pretty damn big difference. Don't see the Jomon on the website though, I can't tell whats what on the website, hehe. This is definitely an option I'll have to consider when that time comes though...

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

11. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

here are some better pics of SD 100s worn in. I bought them a lot because of these pics, I wouldn't have bought them If I had only seen the pics on SD's own site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What you need to do first is decide what cut you want.

12. kumoo

kumoo Well-Known Member

if you can get, get the studio d'artisan D1177 21oz.. or their D01 or D02 (both deep dyed natural indigo).. i just got my D1177... worth every single penny.

and samurai jeans are nice too for similar price.

13. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

14. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I don't think they make Aihiko's anymore.

15. kumoo

kumoo Well-Known Member

16. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

D1177 21oz

Someone please!!!!!!! give me a heads up on what it's like to wear and break in a pair of jeans that weighs almost 2 pounds, I have to know, hopefully there have been no injuries.

Samurais, Eternal's SD's some of these brands are totaly unfamiliar to me, plus you guys are always using abreviations when talking about certain fits and washes. Would someone kindly hook-up a translation thread so I can get up to speed on what to buy?, and no smart arses please giving me a heads up on Seven, Antik you know the deal!!!

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well. I'll start. SDA = Studio D'Artisan. Japanese company that makes high quality reproductions of archival Levis jeans. Most of the Japanese brands metnioned here do just that.

18. kumoo

kumoo Well-Known Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6855361151 this auction on ebay gave a pretty good idea of the D1177's. and for eternal jeans, my pair of 811 is coming along quite well after 3 months of wear.. it has the perfect cut, i have to say. slim classic fit, and very comfortable. (just found a pic of a pair of 6 month 811's) [​IMG]

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Man I really wish I could wear jeans to work, now buying another pair would just result in the ones I own getting almost no wear each. I might end up getting one anyway but since it's kinda like "just one last fix" at least for a while I really gotta choose carefully.

So far I've been eyeing 5EP straight, 45RPM (sorahiko?), denime and eternal.

20. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Man I really wish I could wear jeans to work, now buying another pair would just result in the ones I own getting almost no wear each. I might end up getting one anyway but since it's kinda like "just one last fix" at least for a while I really gotta choose carefully.

So far I've been eyeing 5EP straight, 45RPM (sorahiko?), denime and eternal.

All of those choices are quite similar, and all of them are excellent. I'll point out some differences here.

5EP: Greencasted denim (optional?) on the Straight Downs. No-scratch rivets, red threads on leather patch, no contrast-stiching around the fly.

45rpm: A bit more generous of a fit. Truer blue than the other choices, and probably considerably less contrasty.

Denime: Heavy, starchy and more true to the 40s-60s Levi's (or Lee's, take your pick).

Eternal: A hybrid between 5EP's modern feel and Denime's heavy wear. Slimmer than Sorahikos, (most) Denimes, but not as slim as 5EP.

Kumoo, where did you find that? Not to be a naysayer but those look heavily sandpapered and not genuine wear to me.