Japanese Denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by raley, Mar 29, 2006.

1. minya

minya Senior member

I'm not sure if they're slubs. Take a look at the denim-gallery Eternals, you can pretty clearly see the "lines" I'm talking about there.

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

i've noticed that vertical striping in my RRDS, too. it is particularly evident in the RR veggies. here's a pic that i hijacked from "unwashed" on mynudies: http://www.mynudies.com/modules/mx_s...pic&pic_id=778 "Slubs" refers to the warp threads, but this color "striation" i am guessing is from the dying method. yeah?

3. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Senior member

One word: Uniglo.

I ment Uniqlo

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Slubs are both warp and weft threads. The color striation, while I'm not sure exactly why it happens, is a combination of both slubby denim and dying methods.

5. minya

minya Senior member

The striations I'm talking about with the 811 are quite different from, say, the Nudie natural indigo or the l.e. Sven. Here's good pictures: http://denim-gallery.heavy.jp/eternal_811-6.html Notice the clearly apparent vertical lines. I don't know why this happens. It's starting to become apparent on mine, even though they've been worn very little (only six weeks... I'm breaking in my SDAs right now). My SDAs are not doing this.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

The striations I'm talking about with the 811 are quite different from, say, the Nudie natural indigo or the l.e. Sven.

Here's good pictures:

http://denim-gallery.heavy.jp/eternal_811-6.html

Notice the clearly apparent vertical lines. I don't know why this happens. It's starting to become apparent on mine, even though they've been worn very little (only six weeks... I'm breaking in my SDAs right now). My SDAs are not doing this.

yea, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think that it may be a result of warp threads that vary GREATLY, and weft threads not so much. The SDA's may have less variation - thicker threads overall, or perhaps thicker weft threads.

The way I see it, each vertical "line" is just one warp thread that was thick enough that it was more susceptible to abrasion, and thus will fade quicker than the others. The Eternals may be woven in such a way that every couple warp threads, there's a really thick one that fades fast.

An analogy to how I see it (since I love analogies): imagine you're scraping your knuckles along a stucco wall. Your middle knuckle, which sticks out the most, is going to get ripped up the fastest, while your little knuckle will be scraped less because it's not touching the wall as much.

7. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

45rpms run about 66% of the price stateside after conversion. That's how I got my pair.

Dan

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

The Japanese invented denim, you know...

9. lupin23rd

lupin23rd Well-Known Member

Haha guitarwolf jeans, awesome!

Anybody got a pair and want to comment on the fit?

m

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

45rpms run about 66% of the price stateside after conversion. That's how I got my pair.

Dan

So then, Jomons would be what.. $500 or so in Japan?

11. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

The Japanese invented denim, you know...

I thought it was the French and/or Italians.

12. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

They may have invented denim but it took the Swedish to reveal the naked truth to the world.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

The Japanese invented the Swedish.

14. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

So then, Jomons would be what.. $500 or so in Japan?

I don't know about Jomons, but someone on the other sf got a pair of distressed sorahikos ($478 in NY) for $403 (including shipping) from Juno. Said the retail price was 33,400 (~$278 US).

Looks like the price for one-wash Sorahiko's in Japan is only 24,150 (~$205 US) and they retail for $333 in NY.

That's a pretty damn big difference. Don't see the Jomon on the website though, I can't tell whats what on the website, hehe. This is definitely an option I'll have to consider when that time comes though...

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator