• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Denim

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so many people and so little info and pics. :/

Reaction score
Bump.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Okay, I'm ready to order (again!!) from coldrice. I've narrowed down my choice to slim, low rise japanese repros. I've searched the different threads and do have pics of most of these jeans at home, but I'd really like to get some feedback all in one place from someone more knowledgeable than me:

So far I've narrowed it down to (feel free to suggest something else):
SD-103
Samurai S0505XX
Flat Head 3001
Skull jeans (?) are doing some similar pairs too, no?

So what are the difference between these in terms of:
1)Fit
2)Denim/construction quality
3)Denim characteristics (slubbier, diff. color, weight, etc.)
4)Something else I might forget

What about pricing, is one of these pairs a "better deal"?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fuuma-

I'm looking at some of the same jeans. I believe the Flat Head 3001 and the Skull 5010 are the two slimmest cuts, very similar according to the measurements on Bears. I've seen several people comment that the SD-103 is not as slim as they expected, more of a Levi repro style that's on the slim side of the spectrum rather than and New Standard, modern style cut. I would consider the SD-105 instead maybe, which is a slimmer cut through the thighs with a subtle bootcut.

The 505 from Samurai looks like a nice cut, but I'm not interested in such heavy (17 oz) denim, and they cost more than the others.

Between the Skull and Flat Head, it appears that the Flat Head has nicer, slubbier denim. People have compared it to Eternal's denim. Skull, on the other hand, has nicer details - a cooler patch, and plain pockets, which I like. The denim isn't too shabby either. It will be less streaky, but some people probably prefer that.

Personally, I'm trying to decide between the Skull, Flat Head, and D'Artisan 105. Also considering the Pure Blue XX-004, which is very slim but also has a more dramatic flare, which I'd want to alter a bit.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Okay, I'm ready to order (again!!) from coldrice. I've narrowed down my choice to slim, low rise japanese repros. I've searched the different threads and do have pics of most of these jeans at home, but I'd really like to get some feedback all in one place from someone more knowledgeable than me:

So far I've narrowed it down to (feel free to suggest something else):
SD-103
Samurai S0505XX
Flat Head 3001
Skull jeans (?) are doing some similar pairs too, no?

So what are the difference between these in terms of:
1)Fit
2)Denim/construction quality
3)Denim characteristics (slubbier, diff. color, weight, etc.)
4)Something else I might forget

What about pricing, is one of these pairs a "better deal"?

the s0505 is slimmer than the sd103's, about 1cm(2cm circumference) or so in leg width all the way. they also taper all the way while the 103s are straight from the knee down.

the denim of the samurai's is actually quite slubby, much slubbier than the SD's which isnt really slubby at all. Both are 15oz. The samurai's contain much less starch, so they feel lighter than the SD's.
I am going to take more pics of my 505's after the soak, they are slubbier now than when they were raw.

You can order samurai's without a middleman, so they can be a bit cheaper than other brands.

beefcake

Reaction score
On the subject of slim/low rise, If I'm getting it right, these are a new model (they got them 24th of May):
FOB F157
They look slim and low rise, slight bootcut marked at 2 on a 1-5 tight/loose scale.
Does anybody know something about them, or the brand etc? I think they look like a real nice cut. FOB has made alot of crap too, if you look around on j-e-a-n-s.net for example.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Guys thanks for the great answers. BTW I forgot to mention I'm NOT looking for a bootcut, only straight leg or slight tapper (nothing too fashiony, more of a pair I'll still be wearing in 5 years-think APC not Dior).

asf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beefcake
On the subject of slim/low rise, If I'm getting it right, these are a new model (they got them 24th of May):
FOB F157
They look slim and low rise, slight bootcut marked at 2 on a 1-5 tight/loose scale.
Does anybody know something about them, or the brand etc? I think they look like a real nice cut. FOB has made alot of crap too, if you look around on j-e-a-n-s.net for example.

FOB Factory - crap?
like what?

beefcake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asf
FOB Factory - crap? like what?
Good question, I search for F.O.B on j-e-a-n-s.net now and find nothing but pants. I must have mixed it up somewhere around the 5th brain damage from browsing google-translated japanese pages. My bad! I'm sorry F.O.B.
frown.gif
(edit: FOB = SOB with a lisp?)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beefcake
Good question, I search for F.O.B on j-e-a-n-s.net now and find nothing but pants. I must have mixed it up somewhere around the 5th brain damage from browsing google-translated japanese pages. My bad! I'm sorry F.O.B.
frown.gif

The Japanese INVENTED aplologizing.

ringring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
These "Black Bear" 10th Anniversary Warehouses look very nice:

http://www.j-fabled.com/shopping_cat...ouse_1601.html

The denim looks very unique.

Coincidentally enough, I've been wearing those lately. Lightweight 2x1 selvedge denim - you only get the visible selvedge on the fob pocket - the outseams are felled.
They shrink down to a slim fit.
Brilliamt summer jeans. You get a nice book with the box.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Hmm so now I'm stuck between flathead 3001/SD-103/Samurai 505. Arrrgh!!!

Would you say the denim quality (not characteristic, I've read about these...) is similar between those three pairs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads