Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Japanese Denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by raley, Mar 29, 2006.

1. digital_denim

digital_denim Big Lose

Whoopee can you post pics of the 103xx? And can you compare the color of these to the normal 103s? The price difference doesn't seem to match up with the price jump of other denim brands and their natural indigo.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. I can't compare them to the 103s, but to the 203Rs, which I bought from Take5 for like ~$130 last winter. They're in the shop to be hemmed so I won't be able to get photos of them up. The price jump seems in line with other brands to me.

The colour of the 103xx is considerably lighter in a distinctive shade similar to that of the natural indigo 45RPMs and Suguarcanes, compared to the 203R which were a very dark blue, slightly blackish at first, and have held their colour in non-stressed areas well through two washes. The 103xx also seems more consistent in appearance. Of course, I can't comment now on how they will fade. The denim is also less spongy and a bit rougher/stiffer (after the STF process) than the 203R.

3. worn down

worn down Active Member

If you have them on hand there are a few good ways to tell.

If they've been washed/dried the denim should be a little bit fuzzy, instead of flat. Also, the bottom hems should be a bit wrinkly and puckered.

I'm at work right now, but I do recall the demin being fuzzy and quite "hairy". The jeans were stiff, but not uncomfortably rigid like when I first got my RRDS. I'm inclined to believe that these are in fact 'one wash'. No worries though, I really like them and the denim is spectacular.

And perhaps jinx is right about my method of measuring. But I was just going by Luc's post.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I'm at work right now, but I do recall the demin being fuzzy and quite "hairy". The jeans were stiff, but not uncomfortably rigid like when I first got my RRDS. I'm inclined to believe that these are in fact 'one wash'. No worries though, I really like them and the denim is spectacular.

And perhaps jinx is right about my method of measuring. But I was just going by Luc's post.

It's a good thing if they're one-wash. That means that you don't have to worry about the shrinkage. At least we know that they wont be shrinking down so they're too tight.

5. worn down

worn down Active Member

That's what I was thinking. Now all I have to do is wear the hell out of them and go on my way.

6. Ott

Ott Senior member

I was just looking at the chart on the Studio D'artisan site, what's the difference between regular denim and left handle twill denim?

7. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

LH is smooooooooooooooth like buttaa

8. Ott

Ott Senior member

thanks I've been curious about that for a while.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

That isn't true. ringring can shed some more light on it, but left hand twill can be just as crappy as right hand twill. Just check out the Gap's current offerings.

10. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

well he asked about SDA's, i was commenting on sda's lh.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I was just looking at the chart on the Studio D'artisan site, what's the difference between regular denim and left handle twill denim?

Left hand twill has a naturally softer hand to it, which means it creases less sharply. Check out the Denim Terminology thread (linked in hte ultimate sw thread) for a lengthy discussion about it.

12. Ahaz

Ahaz Senior member

Saw some badass Japanese selvage denim at the mall yesterday. It was on sale too, $90 marked down from $200. They had lots of them available, in many different washes.

*cough*

[​IMG]

13. pacioli

pacioli Well-Known Member

14. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

15. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

looks almost as bad as my jeans.