• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese brands which do not allow import from Japan

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, these brands include:

Flat Head
RJB
Iron Heart
Dry Bones
Skull Jeans
Sugar Cane
Buzz Rickson
William Gibson
Lone Wolf
Man of Moods
Full Count
Pure Blue Japan
Indian Motorcycle

By the same token, export of Levis for the American domestic market is strictly prohibited as well.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
As far as I know, these brands include:

Flat Head
RJB
Iron Heart
Dry Bones
Skull Jeans
Sugar Cane
Buzz Rickson
William Gibson
Lone Wolf
Man of Moods

By the same token, export of Levis for the American domestic market is strictly prohibited as well.

Fwiw, I think the import/export restrictions apply only to the immediate seller, and not to resellers unless those resellers agree to those restrictions. I don't think there is any legal restriction on resellers.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
im just a bit confused and perhaps ignorant, but self edge and BiG carries some of those brands. are they doing something special?

I think he means you can't order those brands from a Japanese seller if you live outside Japan - that would be an import. I think going by proxy is still ok and is not what LA guy is discussing.

In other words, the licensed sellers are limited to selling in their geographic area.

erbs

Reaction score
im just a bit confused and perhaps ignorant, but self edge and BiG carries some of those brands. are they doing something special?

I think that the protection of these resale accounts (BiG, Self Edge) is one of the reasons that these brands are not allowed for export.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Sugarcanes from that Japanese/Milwaukee store
eh.gif

Jeffz

Reaction score

Yeah man, SelfEdge counter argues more than half that list.
fight[1].gif

centalones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I think he means you can't order those brands from a Japanese seller if you live outside Japan - that would be an import. I think going by proxy is still ok and is not what LA guy is discussing. In other words, the licensed sellers are limited to selling in their geographic area.
I believe these limitations all have to do with the agreements that retailers make with clothing producers. Retailers importing foreign goods into a new market for a foreign brand want some guarantee that they won't be undercut by retailers where the brand comes from, so the brand makes its retailers agree not to export to the new market. Proxy sellers buy from the retailers and don't make agreements with anyone about where the goods are going so they are not subject to the restrictions put on the retailers. A store selling one of the brands on the list above seemed quite ok selling me a pair of their jeans even though I told the cashier I was buying them for a friend in America.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads