• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody interested in a pair of brand new Gleaners in black box calf in a size 6.5? Sizing does not work out for me :brick:

Pics here:

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Anybody interested in a pair of brand new Gleaners in black box calf in a size 6.5? Sizing does not work out for me :brick:

Pics here:

Can you explain how the sizing didn't work out for you with these, and what your guidance is (perhaps vis-à-vis Brannock or any other boot sizing references that may help) with the Gleaners? I ask because I'm a Brannock 7.5 who wears both Viberg 6.5 and 7 (depending on style and last), and I'm interested in the black box calf Gleaners. From what I'm gathering so far, your pair would probably be too small for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have here, based on your experience with this pair.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20230125_073245.jpg

Yeagers good

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you explain how the sizing didn't work out for you with these, and what your guidance is (perhaps vis-à-vis Brannock or any other boot sizing references that may help) with the Gleaners? I ask because I'm a Brannock 7.5 who wears both Viberg 6.5 and 7 (depending on style and last), and I'm interested in the black box calf Gleaners. From what I'm gathering so far, your pair would probably be too small for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have here, based on your experience with this pair.

Hey, I'm actually 7.5 brannock and I basically take a size 6.5 everywhere (primarily 2030). Did lose some weight/volume so considering going down to 6 for some shoes since I don't particularly enjoy thick socks.

That being said, I have a really high instep (so high that I even have to do a little bit of a buildup on the 363MOD from Enzo Bonafe which is one of the higher instep shoes). Didn't want to break it in and risk it still not fitting.

If you're in the area (NYC), happy to meet up if you want to try on the shoes!

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Hey, I'm actually 7.5 brannock and I basically take a size 6.5 everywhere (primarily 2030). Did lose some weight/volume so considering going down to 6 for some shoes since I don't particularly enjoy thick socks.

That being said, I have a really high instep (so high that I even have to do a little bit of a buildup on the 363MOD from Enzo Bonafe which is one of the higher instep shoes). Didn't want to break it in and risk it still not fitting.

If you're in the area (NYC), happy to meet up if you want to try on the shoes!
I am confused. The Gleaners did not fit you because they were too big or too small?

If one size down from brannock did not work, what size do you think you need (regardless of sock choice)?
@kevenmee, I'm also unclear about how the Gleaners didn't fit you. Are they too small because of your high instep? If so, how is the rest of the fit on your feet other than the instep? If you were buying them again for you, what size would you go with now?

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kevenmee, I'm also unclear about how the Gleaners didn't fit you. Are they too small because of your high instep? If so, how is the rest of the fit on your feet other than the instep? If you were buying them again for you, what size would you go with now?

Apologies, for not being clear, too tight in the instep, fit was fine everywhere else. My personal recommendation is 1 down from Brannock, but if you have a high instep, avoid the shoe entirely.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 5.49.16 PM.png

Really liking the look of these Lofgren boots. Has anyone had a chance to check them out in person?

jmiller123

Reaction score
I have, what size are you? I'm selling a pair of new Black Cats in size 9
Have any thoughts on em? I'm not so sure about the grain I've been seeing in some images but like the shape a lot. No dice on the black cats as I'm a bannock 8.5 so need a 7.5

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have, what size are you? I'm selling a pair of new Black Cats in size 9
The boots he's asking about are the Ludlow boots similar to the Combat boot. The Black Cats are JL's M43 design

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
The boots he's asking about are the Ludlow boots similar to the Combat boot. The Black Cats are JL's M43 design
I misread it as a general sizing question, been running a fever today lol

Have any thoughts on em? I'm not so sure about the grain I've been seeing in some images but like the shape a lot. No dice on the black cats as I'm a bannock 8.5 so need a 7.5
The boondockers can run .5 or tts, depends what run

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads