• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
About a quarter size. Compared to the black version the leather is noticeably heavier with a bit more stretch. Lofgrens are probably the most comfortable boot, out of the box, I've ever owned with the possible exception of the Alden Indy boot.
My Lofgren's are still pretty much new and they need that quarter inch stretch.

I think the Alden Indy with the cork sole is a very comfortable boot. I think i might switch to a crepe sole sometime soon.

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
If I'm going to be on my feet all day within a reasonably confined area I wear leather boots but if putting on mileage is a factor I wear Hokas.
I went with the Viberg sneaker for the mileage situation. So in short I kinda barely left the leather boot dimension. I really want to be a normal person and commit to sneakers but it is too hard; that being said I have a pair of air max 97 plus on the way to my house this very minute.

RuffyD

Reaction score
If I'm going to be on my feet all day within a reasonably confined area I wear leather boots but if putting on mileage is a factor I wear Hokas.

Hokas really are quite comfortable, I have a pair of Tor Highs I wear for hiking, keeps my feet dry

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Has anybody seen or have before-after pictures of a "nice" pair of untreated boots that were soaked all the way?
These are untreated and have been soaked all the way and used as a workhorse for 2 years. The reason to show these is the leather holds up without additional treatment. They get brushed off daily or weekly and cleaned monthly. No treatments, no additional dye, no oil. The leather is still in great condition, the seams and threads have held-up. These are the JL monkey boots. I've never had a pair of good boots or shoes get soaked and have any deformation or damage. Does this help to address your question? I've got some other boots that have been soaked through if you want to see what it looks like on something lightly worn which matches the as-received look. I never add water proof treatment to regular boots. I do oil some work boots that see a lot of outside use.

IMG_6374a.jpeg

DaveB

Last edited:

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are so ******* gnarly but it shows that they're not structurally damaged! I'm impressed.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One note about leather boots worn in severe conditions Mud will suck the oil out of them. Mud left to dry will really suck the oil out. Wet concrete fugetaboutit but if you clean them up and grease them they'll be fine. I've worked on sites that were
nothing but ankle deep mud for weeks. The worst is when 3 or 4 inches build up on the soles. You have to keep scraping or walk around like an old drunk but that's why they pay you big money

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
These are untreated and have been soaked all the way and used as a workhorse for 2 years. The reason to show these is the leather holds up without additional treatment. They get brushed off daily or weekly and cleaned monthly. No treatments, no additional dye, no oil. The leather is still in great condition, the seams and threads have held-up. These are the JL monkey boots. I've never had a pair of good boots or shoes get soaked and have any deformation or damage. Does this help to address your question? I've got some other boots that have been soaked through if you want to see what it looks like on something lightly worn which matches the as-received look. I never add water proof treatment to regular boots. I do oil some work boots that see a lot of outside use.

View attachment 1739163

DaveB

The patina is great. I love when the brown starts to show!

Reaction score
Ended up picking up a pair of Lofgren engineers in black CXL for a decent price as a "test run" if you will of the engineer boot silhouette (I've always owned laced boots in the past).
Does anyone have tips on how to break down the pass through? I've tried doing the plastic bag trick and was able to get one foot into a boot after significantly struggling.
Should I just look into getting them professionally stretched?

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
One note about leather boots worn in severe conditions Mud will suck the oil out of them. Mud left to dry will really suck the oil out. Wet concrete fugetaboutit but if you clean them up and grease them they'll be fine. I've worked on sites that were
nothing but ankle deep mud for weeks. The worst is when 3 or 4 inches build up on the soles. You have to keep scraping or walk around like an old drunk but that's why they pay you big money

I use USA made boots for mud work. - LOL.

IMG_6380a.jpeg

Since folks post Clinch stuff here, here is my latest:

IMG_6373a.jpeg

Also picked the Gary's in black (yeah - I'm wearing them):

IMG_6379a.jpeg

These are really comfortable out of the box. Probably the best made pair in terms of quality and fit that I've received from the folks at Brass. The patterns line up, stitching is consistent. I usually gets boots or shoes with some "hand made" features from Clinch which I've learned to overlook. These boots are spot on with their construction. Being a monkey boot I thought they might use an structured toe, which they didn't. But being Clinch, these will fold around my toes and look great even though I'm use to this style of boot being ruggedized. The horsebutt is thinner that they use on the Yeagers. This allows any folds in the ankle area to not dig into my skin. But this also gives the boot a feel more like their leather Trainer with a little thicker material. Daily non-industrial use, these are great. I was working on a cement floor standing most of the day and the rubber sole and soft leather provides enough cushion for me to be comfortable. Dropping a transmission on my foot would hurt with these on. BTW - these are not their shoe laces. I used a thicker lace to hold the boots tight when I sinch them up.

DaveB

Last edited:

Goliath123

Reaction score
Those look great Dave. I wear my clinch engineers working as a cobbler myself and I can attest they are comfortable standing for long hours. The patina isn't as strong as yours but id post photos if people were interested.

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
Ended up picking up a pair of Lofgren engineers in black CXL for a decent price as a "test run" if you will of the engineer boot silhouette (I've always owned laced boots in the past).
Does anyone have tips on how to break down the pass through? I've tried doing the plastic bag trick and was able to get one foot into a boot after significantly struggling.
Should I just look into getting them professionally stretched?
I don't think it is much different from the plastic bag trick but on amazon they have these massive shoe horns that help.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
@DavidCreightonB Those Gary’s look great, what last did they use for those? CN?
Yes they are the CN last. They are listed as the CN-S.

It's not easy for me to visually spot a CN last. Below is a comparison of 3 different Clinch boots, all the same size. The right side is a George boot in an US9H CN. Middle is the Gary in US9H CN-S. Toe structure is the difference that I find between these two. The George also has a little more volume. I assume it's because the vamp is closer to a boot cut. Left is a Mast Trainer in US9H. I thought it was built on a MT last but current look-ups show it on the CN. The trainer is narrow in the arch and ball area, similar to how older boxing shoes fit. These wrap tightly (in a comfortable way) around my foot. I also have a Yeager in a CN-W and I swear it fits like the George CN. I clearly understand why Brass prefers to have clients try their boot and shoes on in their shop. Even though I know the CN last works for me, there is always a surprise in every box.

From the time I placed the order when Brass had the window open to receipt was 12 months. I think they were quoting 12 to 14 months when I place the order.

IMG_6387a.jpeg

DaveB

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Those look great Dave. I wear my clinch engineers working as a cobbler myself and I can attest they are comfortable standing for long hours. The patina isn't as strong as yours but id post photos if people were interested.
Post 'em. I'm interested to see what folks are wearing and how their shoes or boots feel with age. Did you have a break-in time for the Engineering boots and would you change anything with the fit?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison and insight. It’d be nice to try some of these on in person, but even when visiting the shop in 2018, they had little in stock to try on. My fear is they’ve gotten so popular in the last few years that everything is purely pre-order and hope for the best in sizing. Not an easy call when most make ups are sub $2k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads