• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Drextech

Reaction score
You pay 20% additional on custom orders, if local or not. Most are ordered locally. But if you buy a boot in store you pay not 20% extra, only if you ordered customized.
The thing is that you cannot just go to the store to buy boots. They are all sold out fast.

Terminator

Reaction score
I was going to say this, the 20% is only for custom. If you look on the site, there’s a Japanese price and an international price and the Japanese price is lower. However, these days there’s hardly any stock for purchase by Japanese or international customers

landof19

Reaction score
You pay 20% additional on custom orders, if local or not. Most are ordered locally. But if you buy a boot in store you pay not 20% extra, only if you ordered customized.
The thing is that you cannot just go to the store to buy boots. They are all sold out fast.
Thanks for the clarification. So essentially, if you can’t purchase any of their boots off the shelf, then MTO is you only option and you are going to pay 20% more than the prices on their website or S&S and have to wait a long time for your boots to be made and arrive. Does anyone know the current wait time for Clinch MTO boots?

Drextech

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. So essentially, if you can’t purchase any of their boots off the shelf, then MTO is you only option and you are going to pay 20% more than the prices on their website or S&S and have to wait a long time for your boots to be made and arrive. Does anyone know the current wait time for Clinch MTO boots?
I think for international customers there is only a very small window when they take custom orders. You can try it over a shop, but even shops don’t get custom orders well done these days, except BSW and S&S. You can contact Keisuke of BSW to discuss this. He might take your custom order. At least on IG he showed quite some custom orders this year.
snd it seems he is the favorite marketplace. Almost every three weeks there is a new drop.

landof19

Reaction score
I think for international customers there is only a very small window when they take custom orders. You can try it over a shop, but even shops don’t get custom orders well done these days, except BSW and S&S. You can contact Keisuke of BSW to discuss this. He might take your custom order. At least on IG he showed quite some custom orders this year.
snd it seems he is the favorite marketplace. Almost every three weeks there is a new drop.
Thanks for the info. I will reach out to Keisuke to see if he will take a custom order. If not, perhaps I’ll just save up for a trip to Japan next fall so I can purchase a pair of MTO from Clinch and a pair from White Kloud.

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
Selling a pair of Lofgren Combat Boots on Timber and size 10.5
Worn a handful of times. Let me know if you‘re interested. Shipping from Switzerland.

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
Selling a pair of Lofgren Combat Boots on Timber and size 10.5
Worn a handful of times. Let me know if you‘re interested. Shipping from Switzerland.
F48DFB51-6976-4B84-916D-F0DE04AED6D3.jpeg
ABC81BAF-09AB-4A7F-88D4-1747B0FCB07F.jpeg

landof19

Reaction score
FOR SALE: Clinch Black Overdyed Horsebutt Engineer Boots - Size 9.5 US/10.5 Clinch
Selling my 11" Clinch Black overdyed horsebutt engineers. I purchased these boots from Grailed on December 14th, and never wore them so I am willing to let them go for $1,700, which is what I paid. I will cover shipping within the US.

These boots arrived to me just two days ago, on 12/24/2021, and are unfortunately too large for my feet, which measure size 9 on the Brannock scale. They will be shipped with the original box which states the last as CN-Wide. They are in great condition. Size 9.5 US/10.5 Clinch.

These boots originally belonged to @dublinpremium and were on the CN Wide last. They were purchased from Standard & Strange before being relasted by BrassTokyo on the CN last, for 600€. The results of this exact pair are shown on @brasstokyo_masa Instagram profile, as well as the photos below .

I will also consider trading for a pair of size 9US/10 Clinch black or brown overdyed Horsebutt Engineer boots on the CN last, or a size 8.5 or 9US/9.5 or 10 Clinch black or brown overdyed Yeager Horsebutt boots on the CN last.

Although I am new to this website, my PayPal account has been active since 2005. Please ask any questions you may have, no returns.
View attachment 1726513 View attachment 1726521 View attachment 1726518 View attachment 1726519 View attachment 1726520 View attachment 1726516 View attachment 1726515 View attachment 1726514 View attachment 1726517
SOLD

Drextech

Reaction score
Selling the Clinch brown overdyed horsebutt engineers from BSW in US10.5 / Clinch11.5 on CN-S last, not CN wide.

Unfortunately 0.5 too big for me.

Located in EU and paid all customs and taxes here. Here for 1650€ net. Shipped with DHL secured, in the US with dhl premium for 5 days delivery.
Have worn them for 6 short lunch walks at home office.

Your chance to get these in excellent condition before next run in 11/2022. View attachment 1726828
Forgot to say. SOLD.

Fear and Loathing

Reaction score
Posted this on another forum, but I think the level of boot expertise is a little better over here…

So I just took delivery of some Lofgren M43 Service Shoes, the 10th anniversary in Italian veg-tan leather. The boots look spectacular, fit great, but there is one issue I’m a little unsure of.

On the left boot, on the inner heel area, there is a section of leather that has raised lines and wrinkles on it. Under my fingernail, they feel like kind of thin, raised tubes, kind of like long bubbles… Like thin top pieces of the leather are separated from the rest of hide. Which I’ve read is what loose grain feels like. Dunno if it‘s that or not, but whatever it is, it looks a bit strange to me, especially when the rest of the boots are basically flawless.

Or maybe I’m just being OCD.

So gentlemen, in your learned opinions, is this okay on a pair of Lofgrens, am I just being precious? Pics, below, first three are of the left boot, fourth is of the right boot in the same area, which has no issues.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• DF244B78-8D2F-4310-8C0F-6BE24C3AF584.jpeg
    DF244B78-8D2F-4310-8C0F-6BE24C3AF584.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 95AD11E7-4B42-4B59-B0CA-2CD989400B01.jpeg
    95AD11E7-4B42-4B59-B0CA-2CD989400B01.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 75844189-4ABF-4E55-A2B9-D50E89D88B10.jpeg
    75844189-4ABF-4E55-A2B9-D50E89D88B10.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 189
  • 97F94FBD-FC65-4489-A77C-16835F588918.jpeg
    97F94FBD-FC65-4489-A77C-16835F588918.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 187

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted this on another forum, but I think the level of boot expertise is a little better over here…

So I just took delivery of some Lofgren M43 Service Shoes, the 10th anniversary in Italian veg-tan leather. The boots look spectacular, fit great, but there is one issue I’m a little unsure of.

On the left boot, on the inner heel area, there is a section of leather that has raised lines and wrinkles on it. Under my fingernail, they feel like kind of thin, raised tubes, kind of like long bubbles… Like thin top pieces of the leather are separated from the rest of hide. Which I’ve read is what loose grain feels like. Dunno if it‘s that or not, but whatever it is, it looks a bit strange to me, especially when the rest of the boots are basically flawless.

So gentlemen, in your learned opinions, is this okay on a pair of Lofgrens, am I just being precious? Pics, below, first three are of the left boot, fourth is of the right boot in the same area, which has no issues.

Many thanks!

I would find this concerning. As it's contained to one piece of leather, I would hope the manufacturer replaces that part, which should be doable.

I know the owner of Lost Worlds leather has done this when a customer (overseas, no less) ended up having a panel with issues on his jacket.

You're not being 'OCD' at all. This is something that boot companies in a far lower price bracket would correct in some way– Lofgren is in the Lobb price bracket, so it would be pretty damning if they didn't correct.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Heads up for those interested in trying out Zerrow's boots. They have a brown HH engineer makeup with East West Apparel that will be releasing soon.

There are two instagram posts showing them off (1, 2). I know from email's with Jamie at EWA that these will go for about $1250. Thoughts? Anyone going to bite?

Drextech

Reaction score

Many thanks!

I would find this concerning too. Just checked on mines. This part is actually a very strong and stiff leather.
Is this the leather quality or done by pressure through walking?
It doesn’t look as it’s only the surface of the leather.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would find this concerning too. Just checked on mines. This part is actually a very strong and stiff leather.
Is this the leather quality or done by pressure through walking?
It doesn’t look as it’s only the surface of the leather.

This is the leather in that section separating. Not acceptable at this price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads