• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
they don't use leather, celastic or any types of thermoformable toe stiffeners, they put a steel toe in their boots by default. i am not sure about now but my 2 orders both came with a steel toe although i told them i don't ride a bike and wanted the toe to be unstructured.

Small update on this but I've been walking through an order with them and apparently Zerrow's offers an alternate to steel toe which is a "resin sheet on the toes for a soft finish".

skyfall

Reaction score
Small update on this but I've been walking through an order with them and apparently Zerrow's offers an alternate to steel toe which is a "resin sheet on the toes for a soft finish".

soft toe wasn't an option when i ordered. glad to know they now offer it.

they can do gyw, direct welt and stitchdown and offer midsoles in both 3mm and 5mm. and they have US made vibrams that are less common in the US like the 427 cord and 705 amber etc... what did you order?

some old pics of my zerrows:

NY camel
old pattern (they revamped the pattern a couple years ago)
semi chiseled last
steel toe
1.5 /semi double midsoles (5mm), 705 amber half and 700 amber heel
shorty buckles
IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

#8 shell
old pattern
flat toe last
steel toe
double midsoles(3 mm + 3mm)
biltrite neoprene half + biltrite nylon cushion heel
pointed strap end
sterling buckles from Jango

20170510_fcbe17307453b14ce158t9pwaZkaMAGK.jpg

Screenshot_20211213-004016_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20211213-003939_Instagram.jpg

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
soft toe wasn't an option when i ordered. glad to know they now offer it.

they can do gyw, direct welt and stitchdown and offer midsoles in both 3mm and 5mm. and they have US made vibrams that are less common in the US like the 427 cord and 705 amber etc... what did you order?

some old pics of my zerrows:

NY camel
old pattern (they revamped the pattern a couple years ago)
semi chiseled last
steel toe
1.5 /semi double midsoles (5mm), 705 amber half and 700 amber heel
shorty buckles
View attachment 1718881
View attachment 1718882
View attachment 1718883

#8 shell
old pattern
flat toe last
steel toe
double midsoles(3 mm + 3mm)
biltrite neoprene half + biltrite nylon cushion heel
pointed strap end
sterling buckles from Jango

View attachment 1718884
View attachment 1718885
View attachment 1718886

Ah, those Camel pair are yours. I saw them posted on another forum as well. The studding looks great and has me contemplating some for my Camel zerrows.

I actually got two pairs. Probably should have waited to see how they fit me though but I'm willing to take the gamble.

First pair was NY Camel engineers like yours but with the square toe last. Brass roller buckles, natural edges, 1" longer top strap (upcharge fee waived) and I believe a 700 sole. Was very close to making it Camel glove suede but will save that for a future build.

Second build is a rough replica of the RDT black Loro boot but with ingrassato leather. Square toe pecos with 269 sole. All black stitching, single welt stitch, lined and back strap similar to the loro. I also asked for the design at the instep to be different from the standard. They didn't balk or hesitate with any of my requests but honestly, once the upcharges were added, it's about the same cost as the Loro but I don't mind too much. Also opted for resin structured toe option.

Last edited:

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought from that Heritage Online FES event before? How long do they normally take to ship?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought from that Heritage Online FES event before? How long do they normally take to ship?
Yeah I ordered something from the UK late last week said same day shipping and haven't heard anything but then I realized Christmas is Saturday.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ordered something from the UK late last week said same day shipping and haven't heard anything but then I realized Christmas is Saturday.
I ordered on the 11th, billed on the 13th, and radio silence. The contact email says no-reply so I don't know who to ask for an update

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered on the 11th, billed on the 13th, and radio silence. The contact email says no-reply so I don't know who to ask for an update

The 13th was a week ago. This is Japan. I assume you are not in Japan. Allow some time.

You should have received an email from [email protected] and customized to the shop you ordered from with a link to view your order and shipping status.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 13th was a week ago. This is Japan. I assume you are not in Japan. Allow some time.

You should have received an email from [email protected] and customized to the shop you ordered from with a link to view your order and shipping status.
yeah I was expecting that, but instead I got an email telling me I will be contacted soon about shipping from a 3rd party. there is a link to view my order status as well, but when I click it it says my items already shipped before I got the email to expect further contact. I'm just confused is all and am hoping to find a tracking number somewhere

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I was expecting that, but instead I got an email telling me I will be contacted soon about shipping from a 3rd party. there is a link to view my order status as well, but when I click it it says my items already shipped before I got the email to expect further contact. I'm just confused is all and am hoping to find a tracking number somewhere

I would like a tracking number as well. In all likelihood they are sending via Japan Post, which will be handed off to your country's mail service (USPS in my case). If that's the case, it will take several weeks. If they sent via EMS, I'd expect it within the next week.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like a tracking number as well. In all likelihood they are sending via Japan Post, which will be handed off to your country's mail service (USPS in my case). If that's the case, it will take several weeks. If they sent via EMS, I'd expect it within the next week.
Ahh okay, so don't expect a tracking number? That's fine as long as I'm not missing a number haha. Thanks for clearing that up!

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh okay, so don't expect a tracking number? That's fine as long as I'm not missing a number haha. Thanks for clearing that up!

Well turns out the shipment notification was just indicating the package being transferred domestically. I received a bill today for the international leg. A bit pricier than I expected.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well turns out the shipment notification was just indicating the package being transferred domestically. I received a bill today for the international leg. A bit pricier than I expected.
A lot pricier than I expected. I'm not paying 140 dollars for shipping. I emailed the base and told them to cancel my order.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what anyone expected from small shops trying to sell abroad. You don't get those large online retailer discounts. It costs like 30 bucks just to send a small package from NY to Kyoto on first class mail. Anything faster or larger and it's over 100 pretty quick

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads