• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Hellanormcore

Reaction score
Please let me know if this isn't allowed and I'll remove.

Letting go of my pair of Rolling Dub Trio Coupen 7 in waxed suede in size 7H / 7.5, unfortunately a bit tight on my size 9D feet (fits alright but toe goes all the way to the end when bending). Selling for US $400 shipping and fees included from Aus (ignore listing price). imgur album here. Listing here. Happy to discuss specific questions or the brand as a whole.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lemme bring this back on track. I'm currently on a short trip to Nagoya, and I decided to hit up the Main Lodge of Black Sign and damn what a cool vibe.

For being a pretty low key brand, the stuff is really fun and quality. Some of the stuff can ride a bit on the side of anachronistic biker cosplay but it's pretty vibey nonetheless. The jewels and extra **** was baller, a sterling silver comb is extra funny haha.

The simple standout for me was the 14oz denim setup. Fit absolutely perfect, and the jacket was cropped type one. Loved it.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lemme bring this back on track. I'm currently on a short trip to Nagoya, and I decided to hit up the Main Lodge of Black Sign and damn what a cool vibe.

For being a pretty low key brand, the stuff is really fun and quality. Some of the stuff can ride a bit on the side of anachronistic biker cosplay but it's pretty vibey nonetheless. The jewels and extra **** was baller, a sterling silver comb is extra funny haha.

The simple standout for me was the 14oz denim setup. Fit absolutely perfect, and the jacket was cropped type one. Loved it.
Did they have any footwear on display that you handled? I always liked the military styles they do, but wasn’t sure about thre quality. The pics I’ve seen on Masuya of them look great.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they have any footwear on display that you handled? I always liked the military styles they do, but wasn’t sure about thre quality. The pics I’ve seen on Masuya of them look great.

They actually did have some of their styles, it was surprisingly 80% whites boots though. They were surprisingly good prices for the whites. Either way their own brand stuff felt really good and substantial, they had am engineer boot made entirely from Nile croc for like 5k! Sadly the sizes were all too small.

I might go back tomorrow as I can't get the 14oz denim setup out of my head. Haha

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They actually did have some of their styles, it was surprisingly 80% whites boots though. They were surprisingly good prices for the whites. Either way their own brand stuff felt really good and substantial, they had am engineer boot made entirely from Nile croc for like 5k! Sadly the sizes were all too small.

I might go back tomorrow as I can't get the 14oz denim setup out of my head. Haha
Nice. If I recall they have a location in Tokyo as well.. hopefully I can visit whenever I’m able to get back heh. The military jumpers and service shoes look great

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. If I recall they have a location in Tokyo as well.. hopefully I can visit whenever I’m able to get back heh. The military jumpers and service shoes look great

Yeah it's definitely worth a visit, their shoes were cool as hell and I would've loved to get them in my clown feet but that was not gonna happen. However it definitely reasserted my want for some whites when I head back to the states for a bit. The guys their looked pimp in the clothes and some tall whites smoke jumpers.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

We picked up Black Sign after being introduced to them by Ooe. The Main Lodge is super cool. Agree on all the 14oz denim stuff, it's all super cool.

Did you get around the corner to Mitsura vintage?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We picked up Black Sign after being introduced to them by Ooe. The Main Lodge is super cool. Agree on all the 14oz denim stuff, it's all super cool.

Did you get around the corner to Mitsura vintage?

No! But now I'm gonna go today since you said it hahaha. I guess Im gonna have another long ass walk today.

I cant seem to find it on the maps, do you happen to have the location pinned?

Edit: just found it, gonna hit it up, surprised it has so many low stars on Google reviews saying that the owner/staff is an asshole basically haha.

Last edited:

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
@StrangeJeremy
I‘ll move over to the right thread. What exactly do you mean with medium bump toe? And on the JL M43 (roughout or 10th anniversary horsehide), will you see the toes or will the area crumple (weirdly) after a while, even when using shoe trees?
I actually like both boots, combat and M43, from the images but the M43 sometimes remind me of the Rick Owens Ramones (yeah, there was a time I was wearing full Rick outfits) that also had a bulbous toe which could sometimes look a bit clowny.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@StrangeJeremy
I‘ll move over to the right thread. What exactly do you mean with medium bump toe? And on the JL M43 (roughout or 10th anniversary horsehide), will you see the toes or will the area crumple (weirdly) after a while, even when using shoe trees?
I actually like both boots, combat and M43, from the images but the M43 sometimes remind me of the Rick Owens Ramones (yeah, there was a time I was wearing full Rick outfits) that also had a bulbous toe which could sometimes look a bit clowny.

M43 Roughout:
1626902983782.png

The horsehide version of the M43 will form rolls. I don't have any worn-in shots of those, however.

For the combat boots, there's no "bump" to the toe, but it has structure to it - here's the timber colorway worn for about 6 months:
Combat Boots - Timber CXL (worn)-02.jpg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've been looking at getting a pair of Lofgren combats and donkey punchers. I'm a 8.5D. I've been seeing conflicting sizing info around the web but I think I would need an 8 in the combats, and 7.5 in the punchers. Does this seem correct?

I'm a Brannock 11E (wide across the ball of the foot) and my JL combats in 10.5 are a very nice fit (note that I never wear really thick/heavy socks...mostly light-to-average cotton crew socks).

jmiller123

Reaction score
IMG_6089.JPG

So I got a pair of lightly used Combats, size 8 (1/2 down from Brannock)- They seem to be a smidge big, mostly in the width near the front of the boot. My big toe hits about the bottom of my thumb in the above picture. I'm really not sure I could size down any more, it might just be a matter of my foot shape and the fact that I pretty much only wear regular crew socks. I'm thinking about just throwing in an insole to take up some of the volume. The one thing I noticed is how much these boots squeak. I've had squeaky leather shoes before but this is definitely more noticeable. It's whenever I have any bend to the toe-cap while walking it seems. Have you guys had this problem / what could I do about it?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Squeaking could be a sign that the inner layers of the shoe have started to separate from each other and rub against each other when the shoe flexes. A resole would fix it. But if I were you I’ll leave it be and resole when soles need it.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
The one thing I noticed is how much these boots squeak. I've had squeaky leather shoes before but this is definitely more noticeable. It's whenever I have any bend to the toe-cap while walking it seems. Have you guys had this problem / what could I do about it?

Never had the squeak issue myself - hope you can get that sorted! (Though I have previously heard the same advice given to you above by justsayno in other cases of squeak issues.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads