• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are Japanese boots cheaper in Japan? If I had someone local proxy John Lofgrens, would there be any significant savings?

Not particularly, when you factor in shipping. We try to price to account for all the logistical nonsense in getting the boots here.

SLAB

Reaction score
Sizing advise for Clinch Yeagers wanted. I wear size 9us in the mast trainer and graham; do i stick with the same size?

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Clinch - Engineer Boot - Brown Overdye Horsebutt - Jeremy Wear-Onbody-5760 x 3840-01.jpg

My Clinch engineers in brown overdye horsebutt. Not worn as much as I'd like, but they are ridiculously comfortable. I put in a couple days of 10+ miles walking around NYC in them on a recent trip to sell whiskey, and they were absolutely perfect.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imma post this just in case someone else has this issueand does't know why. I started noticing deep long scratches on the outside of the heel counters of my Lofgren engineers and wondering what was causing it. I pondered the situation a bit and realized that when I crossed and uncrossed my feet the heel counters were getting scratched by dragging them over the strap buckles. bingo

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sizing advise for Clinch Yeagers wanted. I wear size 9us in the mast trainer and graham; do i stick with the same size?

Short answer is yes. Long answer - make sure you're buying the Yaegers on the same size scale as your other pairs as they use different sizes for JP and US. JP10 = US9 for example.

Most of the Mast trainers are on the CN last, Graham is on the MR (same length but shorter instep than the CN), and the Yaeger is on the CN-S which has a wider forefoot with the same length / instep as the CN.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
Regarding Flat Head Engineers:

Definitely stick to one full down from brannock sizing.

I’ve had my share of money thrown at these boots. Have had both natural CXL and black CXL in a size 8.5 and 9 each.

they will feel snug and tapered up front but the break in period doesn’t last long.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Short answer is yes. Long answer - make sure you're buying the Yaegers on the same size scale as your other pairs as they use different sizes for JP and US. JP10 = US9 for example.

Most of the Mast trainers are on the CN last, Graham is on the MR (same length but shorter instep than the CN), and the Yaeger is on the CN-S which has a wider forefoot with the same length / instep as the CN.
The Mast Trainers I have are on the MT last. These are a narrow wrap around fit. I have the trainers, Yeager (CN-S) and a the George in the stock CN last. The CN is comfortable for me ( between C and D in width). I was surprised how narrow the MT last feels but absolutely agree to keep the same length in all their lasts.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting a pair of Rolling Dub Caspers more and more, since they don't do the Gleaners in my size. However, I'm pretty sure I'd be a 10.5 and they appear to only do a 10 or an 11.

I also already have Blundstones, so.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I like the idea of a somewhat chiseled harness boot, but most harness boots are much too square in the toebox. Any Japanese maker that makes a really nice harness boot?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I like the idea of a somewhat chiseled harness boot, but most harness boots are much too square in the toebox. Any Japanese maker that makes a really nice harness boot?

Rolling Dub Trio?

1623080451647.png

I guess that's more of a Jodhpur.

Reactions: XWT

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thiking a little more like this Wesco x The Shop Vancouver makeup, but with a longer shaft and not definitely not on a wedge sole.
1623080594657.png

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@XWT I've seen Clinch do their engineers with a harness set up, but it was and is most likely MTO which would be eye watering expensive these days.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm assuming it would be deep in the 2500 USD range at this point. Honestly the more I go around seeing Clinch and RDT, the more I come to appreciate how cheap you can get some of these American brands out here. Like you would never see a pair of used Clinch go for under 1k USD but you can easily find used whites for as low as 200-300 even when the JP retail is well over 1000.

I like a lot of RDT make ups, like the recent roper boot they posted on instagram but then saw the price tag, and decided that there are better things out there. Especially when here in Japan you can get some absolute sick stuff on the used market for a lot less.

RuffyD

Reaction score
I'm wanting a pair of Rolling Dub Caspers more and more, since they don't do the Gleaners in my size. However, I'm pretty sure I'd be a 10.5 and they appear to only do a 10 or an 11.

I also already have Blundstones, so.

I pre-orderd a pair of Caspers from Tempo, should arrive in Sept/Oct. Did you try emailing RDT about the Gleaner?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads