• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you always this useful or are you making a special for me?

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Hey there. I love my JL Monkey Boots. Soft like butter & no break in.They kick ass! I'm a Brannock 11.25 with narrow feet. My Vibergs are 10.5 & my Alden Barries are 11. My JLs are 10.5 & I wear thick socks with them, mostly Chups. Thin socks make the fit a bit too loose. With thick socks the Toe Box is sightly larger than I need but not in a bad way. The heel is good snug & not loose. I'm very happy with the boot & the fit.
Thank you very much for your input! :)

Old Red

Reaction score
IMG_2090.jpg

Well I thought I'd never buy a slip on boot but these Flat Heads came up on eBay with the only size on them being 27.5. The sellers description of his fit and his size made me believe they just might fit my wide/narrow heel 10E Brannock feet and they almost do. I have a bit of heel slip particularly when the dogs are pulling me down hill but I'll live with it. Toughest part of wearing them is getting them on and off. I'm good walking a few miles with them; probably wouldn't want to walk a half dozen. No matter what they sure look good when I'm sitting at the diner I frequent just up the hill from our house.

IMG_2066.jpg

Sizing info. These are marked 27.5. My Brannock measurement is 10E. My feet were made to wear Viberg 1035 9.5 and I'm good in 10D Alden trubalance.
IMG_2091.jpg

I believe these are not considered engineers without the top gusset? As you can see they are pull ons. What do you call them?

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 18

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
anyone have any experience with makers? i snooped around online, but couldn't really find consensus on sizing for their BKS223 last.

I'm eyeing a size 7, but I'm looking for more info before I potentially take the plunge. I'm a 7D in barrie and 7 in 2030/2050 for reference.

any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have any experience with makers? i snooped around online, but couldn't really find consensus on sizing for their BKS223 last.

I'm eyeing a size 7, but I'm looking for more info before I potentially take the plunge. I'm a 7D in barrie and 7 in 2030/2050 for reference.

any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
I didn’t realize they updated their website, as it’s been a long time since I’ve looked. Really like their patterns for the footwear, but not sure about sizing at all. I’m on the cusp of what they offer size wise, but without trying on it’d be a tough call.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makers to me, looks nice but whenever it pops up in my feed on instagram, I always think "oh that's a cool new alden make up" haha

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t blame them, Alden are pretty expensive out here. Hell if I want them, I just buy them in the US and have a friend or something ship em for me since its still cheaper than buying them here locally. Not to mention sizing is impossible for me.

ac106

Reaction score
Are Japanese boots cheaper in Japan? If I had someone local proxy John Lofgrens, would there be any significant savings?

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
Bringing back the subject on The Flat Head engineer sizing

I’m a 9.5 D/E brannock

going down to a 9 is a good fit. About 0.75 inch of toe space. At my D/E width this feel comfortable and initially feels like the correct sizing. However, the size 9 natural CXL I sold (which I’m trying hard to recall) did stretch out and eventually got loose overall.

going down one full size from Brannock — it feels “small”. Something odd to mention: Without socks, I feel my toes are pretty damn near the tip of the boot, (less than 0.25 inches of toe space) but with socks, it's like my foot is positioned differently and i have more room (about 0.5 inches of toe space). The width also feels much more narrower with this sizing, but not so constricting because CXL is pretty soft.

Now, I want to believe and stick to SE’s advice at full down and just toughen it out until i give it the proper break in. Again, I did have a size 9 in the natural CXL and ended up selling them because they started to fit a bit big and loose overall.

Last edited:

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Japanese boots cheaper in Japan? If I had someone local proxy John Lofgrens, would there be any significant savings?

I feel like almost all the boots are basically the same price state side. The difference is really minute.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Lofgren Donkey Punchers in Natural CXL size 11 for sale:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics