• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

markythemartian

Reaction score
Hello fellas,

I have been doing some heavy research in regards to Clinch classic CN last on the horsebutt Jodphur boots and I am still not comfortable with sizing.

any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I wear a size 5 in Vibergs 2030 which fits pretty comfortable and I also wear a size 5UK in Carminas Oscar last and trickers 2298 (loose instep, need an insole). I haven’t been sized yet but I believe I’m a 6 brannock. Based on this I’m not really sure what size Clinch I should get.

Thank you in advance!

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Sizing with comfort is really difficult in the Clinch lasts. What is your width?

Also, Clinch is not taking orders right now unless it's in stock. They are burning through their back orders.

DaveB

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested Stefan (who used to work for Skomaker Dagestad) has open preorders for two Miyagi Kogyo makeups. A brown Horsebutt plain toe service boot and a black Horsebutt monkey boot.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Sizing with comfort is really difficult in the Clinch lasts. What is your width?

Also, Clinch is not taking orders right now unless it's in stock. They are burning through their back orders.

DaveB
Well it seems Clinch is opening orders for Jodhpurs for order on the 13th....

Drextech

Reaction score
Im considering the Clinch roughout Yeager in October and maybe later the black horsehide Version.

But lately the quality I see from them does not push me to want them that much anymore. Two days ago I saw the brown horsehide version from BSW and on both boots there is wonky stitching, really bad sewn. It does look like a second or third. Those stitching at the side is made with machine, not by hand. You can even see the marks.
This was only the latest seen, but also on the roughout Yeager ive seen bad stitching on the sides. This reminds me a lot to my Truman boots. On my Trickers the stitching is all very fine as on my JL.

Drextech

Reaction score
Do you have the photos of the wonky stitching?
I tried to attach three pics. Hope this works.
On the brown hh it’s on both boots.
In the Roughouts is luckily not that easy to see.

Attachments

• E68EB733-C8E2-4065-8822-EC77596DDA98.jpeg
    E68EB733-C8E2-4065-8822-EC77596DDA98.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 2871072B-073A-46EF-9628-046D2B5F6FEF.png
    2871072B-073A-46EF-9628-046D2B5F6FEF.png
    779.6 KB · Views: 210
  • E1FF432E-DCBE-4B83-AFBB-509B8B1B91C8.jpeg
    E1FF432E-DCBE-4B83-AFBB-509B8B1B91C8.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 208

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would certainly bother me considering the price. They may be overextending themselves considering how many shops they’re now making boots for.

Drextech

Reaction score
That would certainly bother me considering the price. They may be overextending themselves considering how many shops they’re now making boots for.

absolutely!! For the price it should not only look fine. Even it’s greatly made, it should also look great.
It’s very nice that a local shop will host them, but it won’t be the only shop. So some more shops will host them and with 5 people you cannot increase the outcome a lot. Let’s hope that the quality won’t be issues in future.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
I tried to attach three pics. Hope this works.
On the brown hh it’s on both boots.
In the Roughouts is luckily not that easy to see.
That would bother me too.

I have the rough outs and it does collapse and roll to a nice looking fit. But I didn't put any protective coatings on it and it does stain easily. I have dog paw prints all over these boots and I have no idea what they were running in at the time. I prefer the black horsehide. I just prefer the overall look as it ages and gets a tea color. I am really paying for the last and the fit but I agree that at their price point I expect better stitching.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, this makes me feel better for removing Clinch from my wants list and moving on. I gotta mentally reason that 2000 ain't worth it for these boys. Especially in a world of awesome boots and shoes.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, this makes me feel better for removing Clinch from my wants list and moving on. I gotta mentally reason that 2000 ain't worth it for these boys. Especially in a world of awesome boots and shoes.
This reminds me - has anyone seen pictures/video of the handwelting?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still don’t get the obsession with Clinch. I’d get a 2 or 3 custom flamepandas for that kind of price.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After my role clubs, I feel like I'm done with custom boots. They are great no doubt, but I find that I'd rather not wait anymore for shoes. I'll save and once I can buy it, I'll buy it.

Flame pandas look cool, but screw the hassle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads