• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I went to the Real Mccoys store and they had shinki cordovan engineers for 2.2k. They looked sick! 11 was the biggest size, I wanted to try it but I have a rule to not try if I don't have any intention to. I wouldn't want it to fit and then all of sudden "NEED" to buy em.
I was eyeing these boots hard the last time I was in the Tokyo shop. The shinki leather on those is amazing. I'm the same way though, I won't try on if I don't have the intention of buying even though I'm cool with one of the guys in the shop heh.

Really hoping travel is open towards the end of the year so I can get back out there. I'm on the sizing cusp for brands like Moto and wheelrobe which I'd like to try and see in person.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My job isn't allowing travel to prefectures right now so I can't go to the stores that stock moto unless I'm missing one in Kyoto I don't know. I wanted to check out their stuff but none of it will fit me I'm pretty sure anyway. Being a big foot boy in Japan is pretty much like blue balls. Most companies won't let you ask for custom orders unless they are like 1.5k plus which is luxury left. I can only push a purchase like that once a year and the Role Clubs are that purchase for me.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, my Role Clubs engineers are my favorite boots, waiting to see what Brian is planning for his 10th anniversary boots.

The width on the CN wide is similar to a 2030 Viberg or Barrie last for my feet. YMMV but they are fine for toe room
He mentioned on a podcast a while back they were going to do a pair of boots with characteristics that sound quite similar to shinki's quick fading black with brown undertones.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that’s lucky for me because I basically already have that coming in. Although I just remembered one thing, I did order a D pocket on mine that I totally forgot about haha

Jpto

Reaction score
If anyone's interested, I'm selling my Clinch Engineers, less than 5 hours of wear indoors - $1,650 USD shipped to the US or CA. I'll take this down if people don't want to see a FS post in here.

The first batch of pics when new, scroll down for the latest Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Price drop to move these - $1250 USD Shipped to the US or CA

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
Price drop to move these - $1250 USD Shipped to the US or CA
Great price, wish I didn't already have a pair. Just for reference, I'm a 8.5 in the 2030 and your 10H wide is a good fit for me (9.5 Brannock C/D width). But I've got flat feet so their arch works for my feet. Good luck on the sale.

Jpto

Reaction score
Great price, wish I didn't already have a pair. Just for reference, I'm a 8.5 in the 2030 and your 10H wide is a good fit for me (9.5 Brannock C/D width). But I've got flat feet so their arch works for my feet. Good luck on the sale.

Thanks - I just sold them on another board

Fear and Loathing

Reaction score
I’d wager this question has been asked before, but... Why don’t John Lofgren boots feature stitchdown/hand-welted construction?

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Lofgren Donkey Punchers. But it is my understanding that while there isn’t a massive difference, if you’re really going for the best-of-the-best construction, then Goodyear welting is inferior to stitchdown/hand-welting in every way... except ease of construction and a slight weight savings.

I know that either method of construction is only as good as the craftsperson’s skill and attention to detail, so perhaps the argument could be made that a Lofgren Goodyear welt is superior to a lesser brand’s hand-welt... But then couldn’t the argument also be made that a Lofgren hand-welt would be superior to a Lofgren Goodyear welt?

Last edited:

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lofgren is a white dude that travelled to asia nuthead lmao he isn't anything beyond that

Jpto

Reaction score
I’d wager this question has been asked before, but... Why don’t John Lofgren boots feature stitchdown/hand-welted construction?

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Lofgren Donkey Punchers. But it is my understanding that while there isn’t a massive difference, if you’re really going for the best-of-the-best construction, then Goodyear welting is inferior to stitchdown/hand-welting in every way... except ease of construction and a slight weight savings.

I know that either method of construction is only as good as the craftsperson’s skill and attention to detail, so perhaps the argument could be made that a Lofgren Goodyear welt is superior to a lesser brand’s hand-welt... But then couldn’t the argument also be made that a Lofgren hand-welt would be superior to a Lofgren Goodyear welt?

Handwelting is a time consuming and skilled process. Most handwelted shoes are either very expensive or made in a low cost of living area. Stitchdown like Wesco/Viberg is also more time consuming and requires more skill than GYW although not nearly as much as handwelting.

Lofgren is more of a brand/marketer vs a boot maker. All of his production is outsourced, factories that outsource only do simple construction methods. I suspect that if he went with a more robust way of making his boots his costs would be too high/low volume for the type of business model that he has set up.

moondog-sparky

Reaction score
Looking for sizing advice on these Japanese sneakers:

Moonstar = Gym Court
Shoes Like Pottery = Hi Top

my sizes are:
Alden Barrie last = 7D
Nike = 7
Adidas = 7 or 7.5
Brannock = 7.5

any guidance on best size would be greatly appreciated!!

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score

Hand welting is not in the price point for the market he sells to. JL is not an all in-house manufacturer, so outsourcing this can be expensive for consistent quality if you're not in control of it. I have a pair of his boots, I like fit and construction. However, I never really considered him a Japanese manufacturer in the sense that he tries to keep all work and material selection in-country. I have a tendency to work with the smaller shops in Japan that keep the majority of the construction in Japan. Hand welting is nice, but it's a PIA to do and I like a consistent, well controlled machine stitch. Just an IMO response.

DaveB

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lofgren is a white dude that travelled to asia nuthead lmao he isn't anything beyond that
1612125190617.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics