• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
I will disagree there .. there is some amazing stuff coming out of Indonesia and China ..

check out flame panda and Onderhoud.. both doing some incredible work
Agree here.

acessmokin

Reaction score
Lolol definitely never looking at this man's boots ever. It's already overpriced for horween cxl in my opinion. Now add to the fact that he is policing peoples purchase and calling Taiwan china too.

Pretty ironic from American vintage style boots made in Japan. Why not make em in the states?

this is a pretty good read.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read that before, I understand why Japanese people have taken such great care to create their renditions of americana but when you are American, why not make em in America? Especially when you use stuff like horween cxl, why ship leathers around the world?

acessmokin

Reaction score
I've read that before, I understand why Japanese people have taken such great care to create their renditions of americana but when you are American, why not make em in America? Especially when you use stuff like horween cxl, why ship leathers around the world?

Leathers are routinely shipped around the world, and JL does use some non-Horween leathers here and there. As to why they're made in Japan and not the United States, it could be a few different reasons. He has a long history with Japan and maybe he just couldn't find a factory in the USA to make exactly what he wanted at the quality level that he wanted.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leathers are routinely shipped around the world, and JL does use some non-Horween leathers here and there. As to why they're made in Japan and not the United States, it could be a few different reasons. He has a long history with Japan and maybe he just couldn't find a factory in the USA to make exactly what he wanted at the quality level that he wanted.

It's not about what's routine, but putting your money where your mouth is.

I mean in that same vein why cant people source their soles from Dr. Soles or why can't people go and grab a shoe from a small indonesian maker? What if you want something that no one else but them are willing to do?

I mean for JL to go to Japan because the US builders weren't willing to do what he wanted is the basically the same. It's not like Japan is a shining beacon of working conditions. So to dismiss every person in a large ass country is silly.

I mean it's fine to fanboy about JL but to me, if there is no public apology it's pretty lame overall. Even if it was an employee who did it.

But it's fair to say it's just an opinion and at the end of the day his bottom line ain't gonna get hurt by this.

acessmokin

Reaction score
It's not like Japan is a shining beacon of working conditions. So to dismiss every person in a large ass country is silly.

But it's fair to say it's just an opinion and at the end of the day his bottom line ain't gonna get hurt by this.

I wouldn't say that US factories are shining beacons of working conditions either, but US and Japans are objectively better than most of the factories in China or Indonesia.

I don't think that John was dismissing everyone in those countries, but I can see how that may be how someone would take it, but I highly doubt that was his intent.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I don't know if this was directed at me, but I thought we were having a conversation here. The fanboy jab is kind of lame.
No jab brother, literally we are all here fanboying for certain brands etc. We all are gonna defend our fav brands!

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would actually be really curious to know what it would cost to make something to a similar build spec as Lofgren in the US, as well as if there is actually a factory that could do as clean work. If there was, frankly I don’t know if there would actually be demand enough to justify.

When I think of the handful of PNW makers, Alden,etc all brands that I consider middle tier boots at best, there really isn’t a high tier US brand outside perhaps independent makers like Role Club, Kreosote,etc. I’d still think it’d be interesting to see done though even if it were a small workshop set up like Clinch.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would actually be really curious to know what it would cost to make something to a similar build spec as Lofgren in the US, as well as if there is actually a factory that could do as clean work. If there was, frankly I don’t know if there would actually be demand enough to justify.

When I think of the handful of PNW makers, Alden,etc all brands that I consider middle tier boots at best, there really isn’t a high tier US brand outside perhaps independent makers like Role Club, Kreosote,etc. I’d still think it’d be interesting to see done though even if it were a small workshop set up like Clinch.

I mean some of those japanese brands are super rad but I do feel like they have a cult and aside from a few standouts most are not that much better than alden, whites etc. The one thing in common with japanese brands is that they are really expensive. To the point where the diminishing returns are a bit more obvious I feel especially if you are like me, and don't have a super discerning eye.

It's funny, we idolize Japanese brands (I know I've been guilty), but those midtier brands are super expensive in Japan and are often regarded just as highly as we regard clinch etc in the states.

For every American pining for a JL, there is a Japanese guy yearning to for a wesco.

Quick edit: Rolling Club Trio has prices comparable to white but I think RCT is way cooler

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won’t buy John Lofgren because of his racist and dumb attitudes.

He sub contracts from Miyagi Kogyo anyway so if one is willing could get the same product through other retailers...

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won’t buy John Lofgren because of his racist and dumb attitudes.

He sub contracts from Miyagi Kogyo anyway so if one is willing could get the same product through other retailers...

Interesting don't those guys make pretty average dress shoes? I feel like I've seen em somewhere.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean some of those japanese brands are super rad but I do feel like they have a cult and aside from a few standouts most are not that much better than alden, whites etc. The one thing in common with japanese brands is that they are really expensive. To the point where the diminishing returns are a bit more obvious I feel especially if you are like me, and don't have a super discerning eye.

It's funny, we idolize Japanese brands (I know I've been guilty), but those midtier brands are super expensive in Japan and are often regarded just as highly as we regard clinch etc in the states.

For every American pining for a JL, there is a Japanese guy yearning to for a wesco.

Quick edit: Rolling Club Trio has prices comparable to white but I think RCT is way cooler

Yeah I can agree with a lot of this. I think even in the $5-800 range brands like RDT or Makers, Moto,etc are all very well made comparative to Wesco, Whites in a similar price range. I think then its just down to aesthetics, and wether or not you can fit into that brands shoes since the US shoes have the advantage of more sizes/widths.

Its true about Wescos in Japan though.. I couldn't believe how many I saw while waiting in line to try and get some Goro's in Harajuku.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha another good example is Goros although a lot less pronounced. Many american fashion people want Goros, unless you are a hype beast in Japan, most want to get the real native stuff. Or at least it seems that way.

Also I'll give a certain edge to makers in the PNW because they allow a lot more customization. Like Moto etc won't even make my size, forget even asking them to take on a special leather or something. While of I wanted to get elephant scrotum boots with ostrich cap toes, I could potentially get one made from Rios, Wesco, or Whites.

Although even that seems to be changing slowly. However Japanese people still get these crazy make ups from those same US brands since they couldn't do so in Japan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads