• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

acessmokin

Reaction score
New japanese goods today. Lofgren desert boots and iron heart corduroy type III jacket.

Attachments

• 20201130_103341.jpg
    20201130_103341.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 104

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
New japanese goods today. Lofgren desert boots and iron heart corduroy type III jacket.

Lookin' good, man!

I just noticed your background and realized you're the guy from the Viberg Lighting Incident. ;) It all makes sense now.

I'm pretty obsessed with these desert boots after just a couple of weeks with the tobacco ones:

DSCF8307-25p_WEB.jpg

I had to order the olive ones, too, which are on their way.

acessmokin

Reaction score
Had a feeling he was a member in here... this is a bit incestuous!
Lookin' good, man!

I just noticed your background and realized you're the guy from the Viberg Lighting Incident. ;) It all makes sense now.

I'm pretty obsessed with these desert boots after just a couple of weeks with the tobacco ones:

View attachment 1507521

I had to order the olive ones, too, which are on their way.

Haha yes that's me. The desert boots are fantastic, extremely comfortable. I really really want the blue ones too though. OOS anywhere that I can see.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw John lofgren posted such bad hashtags.. then deleted them saying them when he was called out for doing such a ****** thing.. then claimed it was not him and a staff member did it

DE84574D-10BA-42B4-97FB-2C3D1B6BE590.jpeg

acessmokin

Reaction score
Maybe it was a staff member.

I didn't take those hashtags to be anything more than him calling out those countries for their extremely prevalent use of child and slave labor. It probably could have been phrased better to make it apparent that the child/slave labor was what they were taking aim at.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it was a staff member.

I didn't take those hashtags to be anything more than him calling out those countries for their extremely prevalent use of child and slave labor. It probably could have been phrased better to make it apparent that the child/slave labor was what they were taking aim at.

he could have called out his stand against child labour or the government.. but he didn’t .. he generalised and called out the country.. and that’s offensive to the people and culture of that said country. His choice of words were poor.
And I don’t think it was a staff member. He recently came on a podcast (stitch perfect) and said the same thing

acessmokin

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with people boycotting countries because they allow slave and child labor.

He should have made it more clear that was what he was saying.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Btw John lofgren posted such bad hashtags.. then deleted them saying them when he was called out for doing such a ****** thing.. then claimed it was not him and a staff member did it

View attachment 1507664
I vote no way John did this and that he fixed the problem with whichever staff member did it.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean if that's the case he could have said ethically made and leave it at that. Not much reason to add countries. Unless he is gonna go full political route and say **** the ccp or something about uigher abuses.

Dunno seems rather lame, I don't like any of those indonesian boot brands but mostly because they are ******* massive **** kickers.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean if that's the case he could have said ethically made and leave it at that. Not much reason to add countries. Unless he is gonna go full political route and say **** the ccp or something about uigher abuses.

Dunno seems rather lame, I don't like any of those indonesian boot brands but mostly because they are ******* massive **** kickers.
I will disagree there .. there is some amazing stuff coming out of Indonesia and China ..

check out flame panda and Onderhoud.. both doing some incredible work

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
This issue revolves around what your personal values are when buying clothes. Personally, I want clothes that are thoughtfully designed, excellently made, with each person involved fairly paid throughout the process. There is a general lack of transparency in the fashion supply chain which makes it really difficult to know who lives up to these values. Certain countries have guard rails and safety nets to make it almost the default, and others fall painfully short (like China).

Now, menswear enthusiasts often over-romanticize "Made in Europe" or "Made in America" - we love to elicit images of ocean side cottages in Italy as a Grandfatherly man floats around in his 4th generation studio producing beautiful clothing - but this isn't the norm. The reality is many of the laborers in European and American clothing factories are Asian immigrants, so it's really not a question of craftmanship or capability, but rather working conditions and compensation. Some may not care, but I do so like John I avoid buying luxury goods Made in China.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will disagree there .. there is some amazing stuff coming out of Indonesia and China ..

check out flame panda and Onderhoud.. both doing some incredible work

I think you mistake me, I mean **** kickers as in they are serious T H I C C boots. I know they make some slimmer models but se of them are bigger than my old goth boots.

Jpto

Reaction score
I vote no way John did this and that he fixed the problem with whichever staff member did it.

I disagree, he's posted this crap before, look in the comments on the post below. These sort of comments turned me off his boots. Also Lofgren totally outsources all of his production, just in Japan vs other countries, I'd rather support small makers directly.

Dr. Sole Originals Staff on Instagram: “John lofgren just done the hand-dyed job and buckle replacement. Next step will be hand-welting. #drsoleoriginals #drsole #resole…”

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree, he's posted this crap before, look in the comments on the post below. These sort of comments turned me off his boots. Also Lofgren totally outsources all of his production, just in Japan vs other countries, I'd rather support small makers directly.

Dr. Sole Originals Staff on Instagram: “John lofgren just done the hand-dyed job and buckle replacement. Next step will be hand-welting. #drsoleoriginals #drsole #resole…”

Lolol definitely never looking at this man's boots ever. It's already overpriced for horween cxl in my opinion. Now add to the fact that he is policing peoples purchase and calling Taiwan china too.

Pretty ironic from American vintage style boots made in Japan. Why not make em in the states?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads