• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Goliath123

Reaction score
Those look great Mg, what denim is that as well?

Also to the guy worried about his clinch and lofgren sizing, for reference I take 10.5 Clinch and Lofgren 9 both the respective stamped size. However the lofgrens are a tough big but ok in thick socks, I believe the Clinch size works out to US 9.5

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great workmanship but the creasing in the vamp toe box looks bad. Is it too much volume or space at the toe box? Or maybe it’s the angle.:dozingoff:
I think its the angle? My whites SD have similar creasing, and I think its due to the leather toe puff. I wouldn't want less volume at all in the vamp as I like having the toe room/space. I had mentioned to him when I ordered that I don't like a tight fitting boot either.
Those look great Mg, what denim is that as well?

Thank you! The denim is At Last & Co Lot 161

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Minor quibbles really. Fit is more important. Enjoy your boots!

I think its the angle? My whites SD have similar creasing, and I think its due to the leather toe puff. I wouldn't want less volume at all in the vamp as I like having the toe room/space. I had mentioned to him when I ordered that I don't like a tight fitting boot either.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like clownshoes mate, however if you like them that's all that matters.

skyfall

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 2nd pair of non-cxl brown engineer boots. I'm looking at motor/moto japan's hand-dyed ones. Anyone have any experience with them?

I had the Moto Dress or 4th Generation Engineer in horsebutt and was happy with them

The Dress engineers are made by Maker's and dyed by Moto in Moto's workshops. As dyeing is done after the boots are made, the entire upper is dyed including the edges on the vamp, counter, backstay and straps which some people may not like

The horsebutt they use is pretty thick. The vamp is canvas-lined like other horsebutt models from Maker's. Other than horsebutt, Moto is also offering the boot in Duy Puy Saddle Calf this year. The calf version is not hand dyed and might be fully lined with leather instead but I am not too sure...

One of the best parts of the boot is the toe tracks imo. My pair had pronounced toe tracks which are more three dimensional than the ones on Role Clubs or Bucos etc...

As far as sizing goes, I would say it runs about 1 size large

If you place an order today, the boots will only ship 2-3 weeks later as they need about 2 weeks to dye your boots before they can ship

My Moto Dress Engineers before they were sold...
IMG-20191110-WA0061.jpg

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
I had the Moto Dress or 4th Generation Engineer in horsebutt and was happy with them

The Dress engineers are made by Maker's and dyed by Moto in Moto's workshops. As dyeing is done after the boots are made, the entire upper is dyed including the edges on the vamp, counter, backstay and straps which some people may not like

The horsebutt they use is pretty thick. The vamp is canvas-lined like other horsebutt models from Maker's. Other than horsebutt, Moto is also offering the boot in Duy Puy Saddle Calf this year. The calf version is not hand dyed and might be fully lined with leather instead but I am not too sure...

One of the best parts of the boot is the toe tracks imo. My pair had pronounced toe tracks which are more three dimensional than the ones on Role Clubs or Bucos etc...

As far as sizing goes, I would say it runs about 1 size large

If you place an order today, the boots will only ship 2-3 weeks later as they need about 2 weeks to dye your boots before they can ship

My Moto Dress Engineers before they were sold...
View attachment 1457420

Thanks for the response! Those look amazing. Dyeing the edges doesn't really bother me.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Moto look great, wow.. http://store-motostyle.jp/?pid=142785059 ? How to size?

As far as my journey back into Engineer boots..

I received Clinch (wide last) and Lofgren engineers yesterday.

Clinch - very nice details, stitching is mostly OK. VERY narrow shaft, boots fit dress-shoe-glove like, the brown color is nice albeit just not as much interest in that, rather have the black ones, so I guess I will get to waiting. I am *very* tempted to try the narrow last though, the wide in 8.5 fit (boots marked 9.5 Clinch sizing?) so I wonder if a 10.5 Clinch would be a good fit..it's an expensive gamble I think, Pancho & Lefty has some.. if someone can comment, I'd like to know.
Standard and Strange will be doing preorder for the next wide last run, but I don't know if 8.5US is the size for me, with a thicker sock it would not have worked! Maybe a 9 Wide last?

Lofgren - less nice details compared to the Clinch, less glove like fit, fuller cut boot, nice with a thicker sock.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clinch Japanese sizing is basically one up from your US boot size. Width is another story as the normal CN last is the slimmest versus the NPT or WR last.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clinch Japanese sizing is basically one up from your US boot size. Width is another story as the normal CN last is the slimmest versus the NPT or WR last.
Brannock sizing for me is 9.5
Lofgren guidance (and my boots) are 9.

What you're saying, and what others have suggested is a 10 or 10.5 in Japanese sizing..albeit the Wide Last (the make that Standard and Strange had made) is a 8.5US / 9.5 Japanese.

I wonder if then the sizing that would be better for me is a 10 Japanese in Wide or 10.5 in the Narrow..

What is the NPT or WR?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brannock sizing for me is 9.5
Lofgren guidance (and my boots) are 9.

What you're saying, and what others have suggested is a 10 or 10.5 in Japanese sizing..albeit the Wide Last (the make that Standard and Strange had made) is a 8.5US / 9.5 Japanese.

I wonder if then the sizing that would be better for me is a 10 Japanese in Wide or 10.5 in the Narrow..

What is the NPT or WR?
If your boot size is a 9 you'd probably be a 10 in Clinch Japanese sizing. Not sure about the wide last or sizing up half, especially in an engineer I'd fear heel slip. Not sure what S&S recommends for the CN Wide.

The NPT is the narrow poc toe last, and WR is the work round last they do. Not as commonly used as the CN, but much more vintage looking than the CN in my opinion.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with an individual who wears a 10 in Lofgren (not engineers) and says the CN soft toe in 10.5 (11.5 clinch) is a great fit.

Based off that I am thinking that a 9.5 US (10.5 Clinch) would be the way to go.

Standard and Strange recommended (different boot) I'd be in a 9.5 for the Yaeger (which is a narrow last, but different..).

My foot is wider, and the 9 in Lofgren is a good fit, a 8.5 in the Wide was good but I could maybe do 9 (so 9.5 Clinch or 10 Clinch) and just based off general sizing advice of D>E it sounds like a 10 Clinch or even 10.5 may be fine,,wish there was a US stockist for the narrow

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah its very confusing, as fit preference is a huge variable on top of general length/width. Engineers are even tricker being laceless. When I had my Clinch, I mis-sized by a half size so I had to sell them as even in Japan they didn't have much inventory to gauge sizing on. I had lace ups though. Its a gamble with them, not sure if Pancho and Lefty offer returns though, but the shipping would hurt.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, decided to give it a go with the CN narrow last..will report back in a few days

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads