• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will see what happens. If Clinch fit well, might return the Lofgren to get the Yaeger instead..

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Will see what happens. If Clinch fit well, might return the Lofgren to get the Yaeger instead..
I wanted the Yeagers to fit SO badly. I’d made peace with the credit card murder but knew S&S’s largest were likely 1/2 size small. Crushed me. I hope you nail it.

Cuttooth

Reaction score
Fell down this rabbit hole being a sucker for things made in Japan and bought a pair of John Lofgren combat boots. Had to figure out sizing went down from an 8.5 to an 8. I do notice some creasing out of the box on one of the boots in particular, but based on what I've read I'm pretty sure this is normal.

IMG_2068.jpg
IMG_2069.jpg
IMG_2070.jpg
IMG_2071.jpg

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Fell down this rabbit hole being a sucker for things made in Japan and bought a pair of John Lofgren combat boots. Had to figure out sizing went down from an 8.5 to an 8. I do notice some creasing out of the box on one of the boots in particular, but based on what I've read I'm pretty sure this is normal.

View attachment 1455264 View attachment 1455265 View attachment 1455266 View attachment 1455267
Beautiful. Get the size right. Wear them a lot. Condition them occasionally. They become slippers. Putting mine on is such a comfortable pleasure. Cheers ?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well.... they're finally here.. very hard to capture the color accurately with an iPhone, but its in the ballpark. Its a little darker in person than in the photos, not nearly as orange as the camera makes them look. Couldn't ask for a better fit out of the box, and I don't think there will be much if any break in.

These are in Badalassi vegetable tanned cowhide which ages amazingly, so I'm looking forward to see what these look like in a few years. Otherwise, this is sort of a simple model for Goto-San, but the reason I chose this set up is that it was one of the first boots of his I saw and it left such an impression I had to get one just like it. This was based of his first model collaboration he did with Mushmans in Japan. Stitch work is just unbelievable and the high shine heels/edges are the best I've ever seen.

Very well worth the wait to me at least. I'll be looking forward to visiting him again to get a couple more orders in.

IMG_4717.jpg IMG_4718.jpg IMG_4719.jpg IMG_4720.jpg IMG_4721.jpg

Last edited:

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Well.... they're finally here.. very hard to capture the color accurately with an iPhone, but its in the ballpark. Its a little darker in person than in the photos, not nearly as orange as the camera makes them look. Couldn't ask for a better fit out of the box, and I don't think there will be much if any break in.

These are in Badalassi vegetable tanned cowhide which ages amazingly, so I'm looking forward to see what these look like in a few years. Otherwise, this is sort of a simple model for Goto-San, but the reason I chose this set up is that it was one of the first boots of his I saw and it left such an impression I had to get one just like it. This was based of his first model collaboration he did with Mushmans in Japan. Stitch work is just unbelievable and the high shine heels/edges are the best I've ever seen.

Very well worth the wait to me at least. I'll be looking forward to visiting him again to get a couple more orders in. View attachment 1455355 View attachment 1455356 View attachment 1455357 View attachment 1455358 View attachment 1455359
Simply stunning. You must be losing your mind with anticipation of wearing them outside soon. Go forth !!!

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simply stunning. You must be losing your mind with anticipation of wearing them outside soon. Go forth !!!

I was incredibly antsy for FedEx to deliver these this morning haha. Took a good while just to admire his work and take photos. I'll definitely be wearing these out very soon and not baby them.

Cuttooth

Reaction score
Beautiful. Get the size right. Wear them a lot. Condition them occasionally. They become slippers. Putting mine on is such a comfortable pleasure. Cheers ?

Thanks! I like how they have a little bit of a streetwear look to me and they're definitely going to be something to break out a lot in the fall. At first I thought an 8.5 might be best to accommodate a slightly tighter right foot in the shoes I wear, but there was enough heel slip and room trying them on (especially with lighter weight socks which I usually wear) that it was probably best to size down. The size 8 has much less of that problem and is only slightly snug on my right foot, so based on that and some advice I received I figure it'll break in quite well. I don't think I could go down to a 7.5 without it being uncomfortable.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Thanks! I like how they have a little bit of a streetwear look to me and they're definitely going to be something to break out a lot in the fall. At first I thought an 8.5 might be best to accommodate a slightly tighter right foot in the shoes I wear, but there was enough heel slip and room trying them on (especially with lighter weight socks which I usually wear) that it was probably best to size down. The size 8 has much less of that problem and is only slightly snug on my right foot, so based on that and some advice I received I figure it'll break in quite well. I don't think I could go down to a 7.5 without it being uncomfortable.
Similar to how I worked out sizing with these. Sounds good.

Robert Rieder

Reaction score

Very well worth the wait to me at least. I'll be looking forward to visiting him again to get a couple more orders in.

View attachment 1455355 View attachment 1455356 View attachment 1455357 View attachment 1455358 View attachment 1455359
Congrats! I'm overwhelmed and envious in a positive way! These were also the first one I saw from Goto-san and these are also by far my favorite boots. Too bad that you can't order by e-mail/phone and that I don't have an opportunity to go to Japan...in my previous job I had to go a couple of times but at that time I was only interested in Italian shoemaker brands and I didn't own boots at all. Visiting Japan for vacation is no option at the moment as my daughter is too young for such a trip. Again congrats!!

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm overwhelmed and envious in a positive way! These were also the first one I saw from Goto-san and these are also by far my favorite boots. Too bad that you can't order by e-mail/phone and that I don't have an opportunity to go to Japan...in my previous job I had to go a couple of times but at that time I was only interested in Italian shoemaker brands and I didn't own boots at all. Visiting Japan for vacation is no option at the moment as my daughter is too young for such a trip. Again congrats!!
Thank you! I do hope you can make the trip to visit him someday and order a pair for yourself, it'll be worth the trip and the wait!

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 2nd pair of non-cxl brown engineer boots. I'm looking at motor/moto japan's hand-dyed ones. Anyone have any experience with them?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great workmanship but the creasing in the vamp toe box looks bad. Is it too much volume or space at the toe box? Or maybe it’s the angle.:dozingoff:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics