• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Can't believe its pushed out that far since I put down a second deposit only a few months ago for summer 2022. I guess the demand is there, but at some point something is going to give. I'll be glad to get my two pairs from him, but don't know about commissioning anything else after that.
Agree that something has to give but damn, Brian’s holding strong ??

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that something has to give but damn, Brian’s holding strong ??
Yeah totally. Its nice to see an artisan have steady work like that and that theres enough of an audience that appreciates his work. I'll be very excited to get my underdogs in March!

Robert Rieder

Reaction score
I'll give you guys an interesting reference. A friend of mine just commissioned Underdogs from Brian the Bootmaker. Base price now $1350 before leather upgrades and the delivery is......................

March 2023
3-4 years waiting time would be too long for me. This reminds me of leather jacket maker GoodWear with a similar waiting time. IMO up to one year is OK but not longer as sometimes tastes can change over time.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3-4 years waiting time would be too long for me. This reminds me of leather jacket maker GoodWear with a similar waiting time. IMO up to one year is OK but not longer as sometimes tastes can change over time.
I can definitely agree about GoodWear. I'd love to have one of Johns jackets, but the wait or even knowing if it'll show up is too much. I'll most likely cave in and get an Imperial from Himel instead.

Robert Rieder

Reaction score
I can definitely agree about GoodWear. I'd love to have one of Johns jackets, but the wait or even knowing if it'll show up is too much. I'll most likely cave in and get an Imperial from Himel instead.
I've recently seen several Himel Imperials in their brown oil tanned HH and they are just beautiful - leather, construction and craftmanship are just perfect. I actually got a GW Ventura a while ago and I love it but I think the craftmanship and leather by Himel are equal and waiting time is just 1-2 months. If you live in Europe I can highly recommend Greg Fields (former Aero Leather employee) - he recently made one modified cross zip in navy blue Shinki HH with wine red contrast stitching for me - the Shinki is as good as Himel's and Freewheeler's Shinki and overall construction and stitching quality (similar stitching count and accuracy as Freewheelers) are outstanding for less than half the price. He did the modifications exactly according to my requirements. He also offers mock up jacket service - I did not choose this service and overall jacket fit was nearly perfect.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently seen several Himel Imperials in their brown oil tanned HH and they are just beautiful - leather, construction and craftmanship are just perfect. I actually got a GW Ventura a while ago and I love it but I think the craftmanship and leather by Himel are equal and waiting time is just 1-2 months. If you live in Europe I can highly recommend Greg Fields (former Aero Leather employee) - he recently made one modified cross zip in navy blue Shinki HH with wine red contrast stitching for me - the Shinki is as good as Himel's and Freewheeler's Shinki and overall construction and stitching quality (similar stitching count and accuracy as Freewheelers) are outstanding for less than half the price. He did the modifications exactly according to my requirements. He also offers mock up jacket service - I did not choose this service and overall jacket fit was nearly perfect.

I have a Imperial from Himel in that medium brown Shinki with contrast stitching on order since March or April. It was supposed to be delivered in August. Dave is currently on a camping trip and will be back on Monday. Since he personally does the button holes I bet it is ready and waiting for him to get back. I'll update once I get it.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please do post it @Patek here or in the leather jacket thread. That would be the model I’d get. My friend just paid for a Peregrine model from Dave so I’m going to wait to see how the fit process works out for him before I place an order. Amazing jackets though!

skyfall

Reaction score
Maker's Vinch

IMG-20200905-WA0038.jpg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@skyfall Any good stockist recommendations for Makers? Love their patterns but it seems very hard to find a retailer with inventory. Hows their sizing typically? Really dig the horsebutt and cordovan they do!

skyfall

Reaction score
@skyfall Any good stockist recommendations for Makers? Love their patterns but it seems very hard to find a retailer with inventory. Hows their sizing typically? Really dig the horsebutt and cordovan they do!

McFly osaka is good but Im not sure if they have what you want. The owner is helpful and responsive to inquiries
https://mcflystore.web.fc2.com/stock/stock.html

Makers don't make sizes larger than 10 and most stockists stock only smaller sizes (7- 9) unfortunately. Recommend you place a preorder with a stockist like McFly if you want a pair. Here is their full shell collection for fw 2020

https://amboy.exblog.jp/28119630/

Most of their boots are e width and fit 1/2 large ime. They mostly have ample toe room and a slightly tight waist and heel

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the info! I used to order a lot of Freewheelers from McFly so I may inquire. I wear 9.5 in boots so it might work out.

skyfall

Reaction score
You are welcome
I order freewheelers from klamp/ track cuz they offer free intl shipping on orders over 50000/ 100000 yen:-D

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went a bit wild..

Lofgren in Black CXL & Clinch in Brown en route to me...I know that the Lofgren will fit, and Clinch I hope it will..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads