• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Kingsleyy916

Reaction score
Those should have been returned. That looks pretty bad for a new pair. Even Brass Tokyo doesn’t show that much variation.
I can only choose to wear them now. I actually hope that the vamp will become a little bit more aligned as I wear it. But one thing is for sure, Brass Tokyo's customer service is anything but good. As I said above, after my first E-mail, they ignored more than a month, then I sent the second email, but still be ignored, then I try in YouTube and Instagram by left a comment there, even though they reply I politely on the platform, but they still ignored me, until the next email sent after one week, I received their reply, and is a very "simple" reply. I don't understand is, even though I didn't buy directly from them, but from a third party, but the boots were made by them, and I had no intention of spite their in the email, even I didn't mention the return or exchange (I admit that I was actually thinking of is the hope that they may be offered to return, or repair, but still I didn't say anything about it) in the mail, I only asked them whether this kind of situation is normal, that's all.:oops:

Kingsleyy916

Reaction score
Too late for the brother. Everyone makes mistakes, makers and buyers. Live and learn!
But I'm still very interested in their Yeager boots, and I'm debating whether to choose the boots from Role Club, which look very similar, and I find hoursebutt Leather fascinating, despite the cheaper alternatives (Red Wing's Japanese exclusive Beckman).

Kingsleyy916

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what was the reason you couldn't return? Already worn, outside return window, other?
I only started wearing them outside yesterday. I purchased them from Pancho And Lefty, I didn’t checkout straight away, instead I put those in my shopping cart. But for some reason I received a discount code directly from the website’s owner, after those boots been left in my cart for couple of days, that why I made my purchase. After I received them and realized these issues I emailed their customer service asking if I can return them, but they replied me due to the discount I received from them, they can only refund me by store credits, but because I thought I won’t going to buy anything else in their shop in a short period of time, so I decide to keep the boots since store credits is useless to me.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only started wearing them outside yesterday. I purchased them from Pancho And Lefty, I didn’t checkout straight away, instead I put those in my shopping cart. But for some reason I received a discount code directly from the website’s owner, after those boots been left in my cart for couple of days, that why I made my purchase. After I received them and realized these issues I emailed their customer service asking if I can return them, but they replied me due to the discount I received from them, they can only refund me by store credits, but because I thought I won’t going to buy anything else in their shop in a short period of time, so I decide to keep the boots since store credits is useless to me.
Kinda shady.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I too have been lured into non refundable purchases due to discounts given. Often, it’s way less than obvious, sneaky and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don’t like this.

I’m a huge Role Club fan but find it difficult to get too excited when his wait list is reportedly 30 months deep. I got two production slots from Brian in Nov 2019 for May and July 2021.

I have just returned my Yeagers to S&S. They are/were spectacular and flawless. The most beautiful boots I’ve ever seen but they didn’t fit. I need 1/2 under Brannock or even same as Brannock to fit in these. It’s 8 months to wait and see if I order larger. Can’t do that.

I am sad to see your wonky Grahams and that P&L are not taking the high road to fix it. I second the suggestion that you consider a credit card dispute for defective merchandise.

I get the “handmade” variables but yours seem outside an acceptable window.

I am struck by the beauty of the Beckmans. I am now hunting for a pair.

Good luck in finding or cutting a path to happiness on this deal.
F1C0F3DF-D73B-4891-B629-D920037C6C06.jpeg

Kingsleyy916

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I too have been lured into non refundable purchases due to discounts given. Often, it’s way less than obvious, sneaky and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don’t like this.

I’m a huge Role Club fan but find it difficult to get too excited when his wait list is reportedly 30 months deep. I got two production slots from Brian in Nov 2019 for May and July 2021.

I have just returned my Yeagers to S&S. They are/were spectacular and flawless. The most beautiful boots I’ve ever seen but they didn’t fit. I need 1/2 under Brannock or even same as Brannock to fit in these. It’s 8 months to wait and see if I order larger. Can’t do that.

I am sad to see your wonky Grahams and that P&L are not taking the high road to fix it. I second the suggestion that you consider a credit card dispute for defective merchandise.

I get the “handmade” variables but yours seem outside an acceptable window.

Good luck in finding or cutting a path to happiness on this deal. View attachment 1441395
Thank you for your concern and your information about the Role club waiting time. 30 months is indeed a long waiting period, but so is Clinch. Although it is not as long as Role Club, I found that my size can be found on the official websites of Brass Tokyo and S&S, but Currently I do not have this budget.. If your size is in stock on Brass, you might want to consider it. As for Beckman 9060 as an alternative to Yeager, it's certainly a good idea, but I find them hard to find. As for my Grahams, I'm going to wear them normally, just hope them won’t fall apart. :p

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Markfisher702 I got two build slots in with Brian as well, one for March and then the following year.. the wait is what it is haha. Main reason being is that some of these Japanese makers that only do RTW are too much of a gamble at the $1k+ mark. Better off getting MTM and supporting an independent maker at the same time.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paying hundred of dollars in deposit and then then a 30 month lead time is truly extraordinary. Five years ago if you tell me you did this, I’d say you are sick in your mind. But now that I’ve caught this Boot collecting disease myself, I can only say I feel ya.

That said, there are so many good one man/small workshop shoe makers producing high quality boots. Be a smart consumer, do some research, there are literally tens of other makers like this. You don’t need to limit to the makers thrown up here.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Paying hundred of dollars in deposit and then then a 30 month lead time is truly extraordinary. Five years ago if you tell me you did this, I’d say you are sick in your mind. But now that I’ve caught this Boot collecting disease myself, I can only say I feel ya.

That said, there are so many good one man/small workshop shoe makers producing high quality boots. Be a smart consumer, do some research, there are literally tens of other makers like this. You don’t need to limit to the makers thrown up here.
Definitely agree.
I will throw a strong plug for Peng @flamepanda11 on Instagram. He’s in rural China. I’ve tracked his work for a year and chatted with him a lot. Beautiful stuff. I recently gave him a custom order. 110 day build and delivery estimate.

Last edited:

Markfisher702

Reaction score
I will throw a strong plug for Peng @flamepanda7 on Instagram. He’s in rural China. I’ve tracked his work for a year and chatted with him a lot. Beautiful stuff. I recently gave him a custom order. 110 day build and delivery estimate.
I’m getting pic #1 leather (Maryam natural veg tan horsebutt) used for style and all noted details of pic #2. I gave detailed foot measurements and other boots models for size references. Pricing was around Lofgren level.
AC24451F-3542-4EF9-BF57-3FBDF869D911.jpeg
AD2F91C7-37ED-47FF-965A-4A26F47FED01.jpeg

Markfisher702

Reaction score
I’m getting pic #1 leather (Maryam natural veg tan horsebutt) used for style and all noted details of pic #2. I gave detailed foot measurements and other boots models for size references. Pricing was around Lofgren level. View attachment 1441457 View attachment 1441458
I will add that this review helped me have the confidence to commit:

Kingsleyy916

Reaction score
I will throw a strong plug for Peng @flamepanda7 on Instagram. He’s in rural China. I’ve tracked his work for a year and chatted with him a lot. Beautiful stuff. I recently gave him a custom order. 110 day build and delivery estimate.
Oh my... he is indeed a fantastic Bootmaker! I own a pair of boots which was made by him, couple year ago, I would say those were the best price versus performance. That was a pair of engineer boots, all hand sewn welted, Maryam horse leather, and it was only about ¥5,000 (us$700). Many people might think it’s too high for a Chinese made boots.. but trust me, not this one, I personally think his craftsmanship worth every penny.
Btw I little trick is that if you are interested in buying/ordering a pair from him, I suggest you go directly to Taobao, which is a Chinese online shopping web, and also he originally based, you might be get a cheaper price if you buy directly from there... this is due to complicated reasons if you understand what I mean..;)

mitchmurr62

Reaction score

View attachment 1441395
Dang, so sorry to hear that the Clinchs didn't work out. I was on the fence but with all these posts I can't get myself excited enough to give it a go at that price. Regarding the Beckman 9060s, I picked up a pair last year from Franklin & Poe. I love them. They're a tough break in but so beautiful. Something you should definitely get. Grown & Sewn has some in stock but not in your size, at the moment, on their website.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my pair from Peng this week! Best made boot I own. ~$600 for Horween Strip horsehide.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Dang, so sorry to hear that the Clinchs didn't work out. I was on the fence but with all these posts I can't get myself excited enough to give it a go at that price. Regarding the Beckman 9060s, I picked up a pair last year from Franklin & Poe. I love them. They're a tough break in but so beautiful. Something you should definitely get. Grown & Sewn has some in stock but not in your size, at the moment, on their website.
Good info. Earlier today, I hit up Andrew at F&P to try to run me down a pair. Also, just sent G&S a note asking about them. Thanks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads