• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Any comments on these Clinch Boots just announced by S&S?
Yes. I’ve been trying to keep my lunch down since seeing that 20 minutes ago. My comment is “What can I sell to order the Yeager boots?”

mitchmurr62

Reaction score
Yes. I’ve been trying to keep my lunch down since seeing that 20 minutes ago. My comment is “What can I sell to order the Yeager boots?”
My initial thought was "I really don't need another black boot," especially after just picking up the Lofgren Monkey Boot in black. But a few minutes have passed and I'm tossing around mental justifications.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My initial thought was "I really don't need another black boot," especially after just picking up the Lofgren Monkey Boot in black. But a few minutes have passed and I'm tossing around mental justifications.
1596830839818.gif

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has owned Clinch before, yes they're beautiful if you can size them right. Thats the trick lol. Don't think I would try again though for the price.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
As someone who has owned Clinch before, yes they're beautiful if you can size them right. Thats the trick lol. Don't think I would try again though for the price.
I may have been saved from ruin. Mari (who knows me and my boot situation pretty well) says I’d be 11.5 in the Yeager. They didn’t get any larger than 11.0 and Clinch doesn’t have any either. Happy Sad

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have been saved from ruin. Mari (who knows me and my boot situation pretty well) says I’d be 11.5 in the Yeager. They didn’t get any larger than 11.0 and Clinch doesn’t have any either. Happy Sad
Its never bad when you can save $2k... haha. Given that you've posted that you have narrower feet, the widths on their boots might actually work pretty well for you.

SLAB

Reaction score
Id love to buy a pair of Clinch boots, my preferred model are the Graham boots though. They look quite inconspicuous new but with some wear transform into some of the best looking boots out there imo

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Id love to buy a pair of Clinch boots, my preferred model are the Graham boots though. They look quite inconspicuous new but with some wear transform into some of the best looking boots out there imo
I yearn for uninterrupted roll across the top of the toe box of Clinch boots. Cap toe is out for me if I’m spending a mortgage payment.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
You guys are adding $1k to the actual price.

DavidCreightonB

Reaction score
IMG_1904.JPG

So I received my Yeager's a few weeks ago. It is in the horse butt which runs closer to $1900 on the Brass Website. The rolls are already starting to develop which is part of the appeal for their boots.

The Clinch boots in the CN (or CN-S) last are not for everyone. If they fit, they will get really comfortable after a break-in period. I am a 9.5 C width and the last is designed for a narrow foot. It's closer to an orthopedic fit with the way the last is curved and the support under the arch and ball of the foot. Sizing is similar Joe Works. I purchased the CN 10 (US 9) and the width fits but I'd buy a half size bigger since my toe can barely touch the end of the boot by the end of a long work day. Wearing thick pair of socks for a few weeks takes care of this.

These are work boots and are designed to age and form quickly since there is no structure in the toe. Initially I didn't like the fit. It's different than other lasts I own and I wasn't sure how it would settle. It's taken me about three weeks to break them in and I'm starting to like this last. The build quality is great. I can see the tooling lines from the sewing machine, which have on other hand made boots. The horse butt leather will mar easily which adds to the quick aging. Bend your toes in it and you get that great leather creaking sound from the uppers. The dying was little sloppy, leaving gaps near the mid sole, which surprised me. However, any imperfections will blend in over time. The CORD sole material provides a good grip in my workshop and on the wet streets where I live. I have three large dogs and I swear every dog hair on the floor sticks to the sole material. Cross my legs and I see these fur balls hanging off the edges.

IMG_1899.JPG

IMO - These boots will last a lifetime of shop use. The fit is not going to be for everyone, but when it works, these become your daily go-to wear. I'm glad I stuck with it and got these to break in. I'm adding a picture of how the leather ages over the past three weeks.

DaveB

Last edited:

Markfisher702

Reaction score
View attachment 1439775

So I received my Yeager's a few weeks ago. It is in the horse butt which runs closer to $1900 on the Brass Website. The rolls are already starting to develop which is part of the appeal for their boots.

The Clinch boots in the CN (or CN-S) last are not for everyone. If they fit, they will get really comfortable after a break-in period. I am a 9.5 C width and the last is designed for a narrow foot. It's closer to an orthopedic fit with the way the last is curved and the support under the arch and ball of the foot. Sizing is similar Joe Works. I purchased the CN 10 (US 9) and the width fits but I'd buy a half size bigger since my toe can barely touch the end of the boot by the end of a long work day. Wearing thick pair of socks for a few weeks takes care of this.

These are work boots and are designed to age and form quickly since there is no structure in the toe. Initially I didn't like the fit. It's different than other lasts I own and I wasn't sure how it would settle. It's taken me about three weeks to break them in and I'm starting to like this last. The build quality is great. I can see the tooling lines from the sewing machine, which have on other hand made boots. The horse butt leather will mar easily which adds to the quick aging. Bend your toes in it and you get that great leather creaking sound from the uppers. They dying was little sloppy, leaving gaps near the mid sole, which surprised me. However, any imperfections will blend in over time. The CORD sole material provides a good grip in my workshop and on the wet streets where I live. I have three large dogs and I swear every dog hair on the floor sticks to the sole material. Cross my legs and I see these fur balls hanging off the edges.

View attachment 1439828

IMO - These boots will last a lifetime of shop use. The fit is not going to be for everyone, but when it works, these become your daily go-to wear. I'm glad I stuck with it and got these to break in. I'm adding a picture of how the leather ages over the past three weeks.

DaveB
Ok. Great review.

So.......unbelievably....and I’m pretty freaked out about it..........I bought Yeager 11s from Standard & Strange a couple days ago. Neil and Mari, in parallel chats with me, suggested 11 or 11.5 based on many dealings with them on Viberg and John Lofgren boots. The troubling difference is 6-8 months of wait time. 11s are the largest that S&S received. 11.5s will be a special order.

Tomorrow, they land. We shall see. I’m a little flustered. No pressure....haha.

Last edited:

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience with my pair of Clinch I had, their Japanese sizing is one whole size larger than your US boot size. Obviously lasts are going to play a role, but I’m a 9.5 boot size (10D brannock) and would have taken a Clinch a size 10.5. My pair I had awhile back was an 11 which was just off enough in fit to bother me, but I got mine when there was still so little online about the brand.

I’d love to try again down the road but it’s gonna be awhile at this point haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads