• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No other Lofgrens, sorry. I’m betting S&S will recommend an 11.5. The 11’s are very snug, and if an 11.5 Viberg 1035 is only a little loose then you might need to go 11.5 Engineer.

Also, didn’t you say your combats are pretty snug with a toe hitting the front? I thought engineers are 1/2 size up from combats.

So, you were right. S&S recommended an 11.5.

Valfunde

Reaction score
Yes thats completely normal. Granted, I think EMS is still not shipping to the US(not sure if thats where you're located), so if they're using DHL or FedEx thats a good deal imo. When I got my engineers from Attractions it was about $60 if I recall, and even when I buy clothes from my favorite clothing shop its about $40-50 depending on weight but thats express mail.
Yeah, looks like MOTO weren't aware EMS was suspended. Got refunded.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my scratch and dent showed up today. My original plan was to clean them but after receiving them, I actually like them this way. It is a bit of wabi-sabi that I will only add to.

Not a bad pickup for 5 bills (if you ask me). I have never had a soft toe boot before but I think these are pretty amazing. Looking forward to beating them up.

IMG_20200520_163439707.jpg
IMG_20200520_163445294.jpg
IMG_20200520_163453976.jpg
IMG_20200520_163537359.jpg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look barely worn haha. Same size as your combat boots?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look barely worn haha. Same size as your combat boots?

Guys, not sure what you are referring to, these are brand new purchased from Standard and Strange. They came from the factory with one boot darker than the other so they discounted them to $600. I asked if they could do better and they gave them to me for $500.

Yes, these are 11s, same size as the combats and like the combats, they fit snug with no wiggle room but are not tight.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had rough-out pairs that looked worse than that straight out of the box. Definitely a steal.

Well, they are new straight out of the box. I agree, I got a great deal on probably the most inexpensive new JL.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, not sure what you are referring to, these are brand new purchased from Standard and Strange. They came from the factory with one boot darker than the other so they discounted them to $600. I asked if they could do better and they gave them to me for $500.

Yes, these are 11s, same size as the combats and like the combats, they fit snug with no wiggle room but are not tight.

Ah, I thought their ‘scratch & dent’ stock was all worn pairs they had around and not new footwear. Even better deal for you!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day one wearing in these boots. These are much nicer in person then they look on line. Lets see how fast I can get some patina on them. I also paid my invoice on the horsebbutt engineer boots last night. I think that is the most I have spent so far on a pair of shoes.

IMG_20200521_104826535.jpg
IMG_20200521_104859137.jpg

There is just something about the shape of this last/toe that I love. I know this is the same last as the combat boots but you can't really see the way the toe curves on those.

IMG_20200521_105046889.jpg

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Day one wearing in these boots. These are much nicer in person then they look on line. Lets see how fast I can get some patina on them. I also paid my invoice on the horsebbutt engineer boots last night. I think that is the most I have spent so far on a pair of shoes.

View attachment 1392578 View attachment 1392579

There is just something about the shape of this last/toe that I love. I know this is the same last as the combat boots but you can't really see the way the toe curves on those.

View attachment 1392580
Yeah. Looks great. I’ve had my M-43s for a couple weeks now. Maybe 5 wears. Love the shape and the look/feel of the unstructured toe. These are excellent boots, just begging to be worn hard.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Looks great. I’ve had my M-43s for a couple weeks now. Maybe 5 wears. Love the shape and the look/feel of the unstructured toe. These are excellent boots, just begging to be worn hard.

Wearing them with some raw denim, in the rain, walking the dogs, and hiking will add some wabi-sabi very quickly. I think these are excellent daily wear boots and I plan to do just that.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have Tokyo Sandal by Rolling Dub Trio?

Tempted to get these for summer.

Also in suede.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool construction video on those.

skyfall

Reaction score
Anyone here have Tokyo Sandal by Rolling Dub Trio?

Tempted to get these for summer.

Also in suede.

Aurora shoe offers a similar style at a much lower price
https://www.aurorashoeco.com/collections/middle-english

If you want a pair made in japan, check out Horseman Joe and Zerrows. HJB makes the most affordable double monk strap sandals on the market

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads