• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Saw those on sale. Agree on the future of M-43s looking wicked after the first year. Great move picking these up. I just got some too. Damn fine boots. 11 in combats is snug / perfect for me. 11 in M-43s is a little easier of a fit around the unstructured toe box...makes room for the leather to collapse nicely. Cheers on your score.
Like this:
95B731EF-AF95-4AA5-A0E3-9F7173C40978.jpeg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I guess John and I are buddies now. I was chatting with him and he asked if I was interested in some wabi-sabi boots.

I of course said heck yeah! He messaged me today with a shot of this imperfect horsehide leather and asked me what kind of boots I wanted made with them. We both agreed that engineers are the way to go. Should be interesting.
received_239801687275489.jpeg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah nice! Was that the same horsehide they used on the special edition M43?

skyfall

Reaction score
Those are horsebutt
The two ovals in the middle are where shell cordovan comes from

received_239801687275489_20200517040401425.jpg

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I guess John and I are buddies now. I was chatting with him and he asked if I was interested in some wabi-sabi boots.

I of course said heck yeah! He messaged me today with a shot of this imperfect horsehide leather and asked me what kind of boots I wanted made with them. We both agreed that engineers are the way to go. Should be interesting. View attachment 1389908
Those are horsebutt

View attachment 1390001
Super work shoe butt.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah nice! Was that the same horsehide they used on the special edition M43?

That would be by guess. Probably a piece rejected by regular production that John has been staring at trying to figure what to do with it.
Those are horsebutt

View attachment 1390001

Interesting. Is there any disadvantage, besides cosmetic, to using butt?

skyfall

Reaction score
That would be by guess. Probably a piece rejected by regular production that John has been staring at trying to figure what to do with it.

No disadvantage at all. The leather may look stiff at first, but it will mould to your feet pretty quickly. It is also fairly easy to break in compared to the other thick leathers that I have handled.

The two hides in the picture look good! Scars and color uneveness in horsebutt are common. Thats why most makers would overdye their horsebutt to cover up minor imperfections in the leather...

Last edited:

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are horsebutt

Curious, how can you tell these are from the part of the hide with the shell? Are you going by shape?

picture-2.png

Related, I have the impression that strip is often marketed as butt/rump, is there a way to distinguish once it's made into a boot?

I have heard shoemakers comment that it is difficult to last, and can often have issues with coarse, wrinkly break.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, how can you tell these are from the part of the hide with the shell? Are you going by shape?

picture-2.png

Related, I have the impression that strip is often marketed as butt/rump, is there a way to distinguish once it's made into a boot?

I have heard shoemakers comment that it is difficult to last, and can often have issues with coarse, wrinkly break.

Interesting. I see Viberg has a whole line of horsebutt so they must have a technique. Either way, I was looking for something unique and I think I found it.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I need some sizing help..anyone here have larger feet and have both the John Lofgren engineer and something on the Munson last (combat, M43). He is asking for sizing. Obviously, these are custom and non-returnable so I need to get it right.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Alright, I need some sizing help..anyone here have larger feet and have both the John Lofgren engineer and something on the Munson last (combat, M43). He is asking for sizing. Obviously, these are custom and non-returnable so I need to get it right.
I have very dialed-in sizing to Lofgren 11 from Brannock 12B for my combats and M-43 but no experience with engineers.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have very dialed-in sizing to Lofgren 11 from Brannock 12B for my combats and M-43 but no experience with engineers.
Damn, not sure where else to ask. It's not like I can stroll into a stockists and try some on.

Based on Standard and Strange, I should go 11.5 though.

skyfall

Reaction score

picture-2.png

I am not an expert in leather and shoe making but I have seen the leather at a local leather supply so I know what horsebutt looks like. Yes, you can tell by the texture or the shape but the easiest way is always to feel the leather in person. Horsebutt feels more like shell cordovan while horsefronts have a softer hand like the typical horween fqhh on an hh jacket. The difference on the rough side is also obvious. The rough side is less nappy down in the butt. Re grain, can you see similarities in john's leather and the horsebutt leather on these boots?

barnstormer2_bmk8597_2.jpeg Brown_Monkey_Boot_Single_Side_Leather_Lace_2_Web_400x400.png pixlr_20160306234254905.jpg

Grain on 1.3 mm shinki pigment finished horsefront look like this

Screenshot_20200517-225240.png

Horse (butt) strips are sold by horween as a by product of shell cordovan. The mustache shaped remnants in the video are horse strips

Horween horse strips are often too narrow for shoe uppers, so its more often used for small leather crafts or welting. In japan or anywhere else outside of NA, horse strips are not sold seapartely. If you want horse strips in japan, you will need to buy a full horsebutt hide like this
image00000621.png

Horse butt and horse rump are the same thing afaik. The italian tanneries call it horse rump and the japanese call it horsebutt. Horween cuts the horsebutt into different sub sections (stripes and cordovan) and finishes them differently for sale

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not an expert in leather and shoe making but I have seen the leather at a local leather supply so I know what horsebutt looks like. Yes, you can tell by the texture or the shape but the easiest way is always to feel the leather in person. Horsebutt feels more like shell cordovan while horsefronts have a softer hand like the typical horween fqhh on an hh jacket. The difference on the rough side is also obvious. The rough side is less nappy down in the butt. Re grain, can you see similarities in john's leather and the horsebutt leather on these boots?

View attachment 1390440 View attachment 1390439 View attachment 1390441

Grain on 1.3 mm shinki pigment finished horsefront look like this

View attachment 1390438

Horse (butt) strips are sold by horween as a by product of shell cordovan. The mustache shaped remnants in the video are horse strips

Horween horse strips are often too narrow for shoe uppers, so its more often used for small leather crafts or welting. In japan or anywhere else outside of NA, horse strips are not sold seapartely. If you want horse strips in japan, you will need to buy a full horsebutt hide like this
View attachment 1390442

Horse butt and horse rump are the same thing afaik. The italian tanneries call it horse rump and the japanese call it horsebutt. Horween cuts the horsebutt into different sub sections (stripes and cordovan) and finishes them differently for sale

Those are some of the best looking monkey boots I have ever seen!

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Damn, not sure where else to ask. It's not like I can stroll into a stockists and try some on.

Based on Standard and Strange, I should go 11.5 though.
S&S generally recommends same size all Lofgrens except Steadfast Chukka 1/2 larger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads