• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Popvulture

Reaction score
Still regularly updating the Instagram with those pretty heavily art directed triple posts instead of replying to customer emails while "in the hospital." I hope he's ok, but I'm inclined to believe it's bullshit.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still regularly updating the Instagram with those pretty heavily art directed triple posts instead of replying to customer emails while "in the hospital." I hope he's ok, but I'm inclined to believe it's bullshit.

Maybe the bot posting to IG was in the hospital

Popvulture

Reaction score
Alright well, appears it's actually made it to the post office. What a process this has been.

RuffyD

Reaction score
Was just gonna say I got a follow up email from them after the hospital email

Popvulture

Reaction score
Alright, so — mine arrived today and they're great.

Initial thoughts: rather beefy in terms of the makeup but thankfully doesn't translate into bulk. Probably most noticeable thing on my end is that these run BIG. I'm a 13 Brannock but often have to go to 14 on things like running shoes. For most rugged type boots ranging from Iron Rangers to Wescos to Lofgrens, I opt for a 12 — it's often a bit snug but I'd be swimming in 13s on most of those boots (if they even make them). The RDTs feel very roomy — I almost wonder if I could've done an 11, but I think that'd be really pushing it. In terms of the footbed, toe box, and some exterior visual similarities (namely stitching around the toe, top-down view), these feel somewhat like my Lofgren engineers, albeit with a slightly bubblier toe and, as I mentioned, a little bigger fit. The plus side is that these feel comfortable to me, and having plenty of room in a pair of boots is a novel concept for me 😆

Maybe the only gripe along these lines is that they look big, but I've got f'n big feet and am very used to the slight Sasquatch vibe, just something I've accepted about myself haha. Plus I think the fact that these have a little room might facilitate them getting those great looking wrinkles and slight slouchiness I've seen in some pics online, which is pretty much what drew me to the boot in the first place.

Biggest takeaway: I will never order from Tempo again, nor would I recommend them to anyone. The experience was completely awful — I find it pretty ****** that someone's abysmal handling of business could lead me to question if they were being truthful about being in the hospital. Thinking such a thing made me feel pretty damn lousy, but after all of the delays, inconsistencies, and general evasiveness, how else could I view it? At the end of the day, I hope that if he (or "we," whoever that was referring to) actually was having health problems, they have a speedy recovery and feel better soon.

Standard and Strange now stocks these, and despite the fact that they're about a hundred bucks more, I would have 1000000000% been willing to pay that instead of going through all the trouble with Tempo. Plus they at least offer exchanges — I feel very lucky that these ended up fitting me, because I'd have been SOL had they not.

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
Alright, so — mine arrived today and they're great.

Initial thoughts: rather beefy in terms of the makeup but thankfully doesn't translate into bulk. Probably most noticeable thing on my end is that these run BIG. I'm a 13 Brannock but often have to go to 14 on things like running shoes. For most rugged type boots ranging from Iron Rangers to Wescos to Lofgrens, I opt for a 12 — it's often a bit snug but I'd be swimming in 13s on most of those boots (if they even make them). The RDTs feel very roomy — I almost wonder if I could've done an 11, but I think that'd be really pushing it. In terms of the footbed, toe box, and some exterior visual similarities (namely stitching around the toe, top-down view), these feel somewhat like my Lofgren engineers, albeit with a slightly bubblier toe and, as I mentioned, a little bigger fit. The plus side is that these feel comfortable to me, and having plenty of room in a pair of boots is a novel concept for me 😆

Maybe the only gripe along these lines is that they look big, but I've got f'n big feet and am very used to the slight Sasquatch vibe, just something I've accepted about myself haha. Plus I think the fact that these have a little room might facilitate them getting those great looking wrinkles and slight slouchiness I've seen in some pics online, which is pretty much what drew me to the boot in the first place.

Biggest takeaway: I will never order from Tempo again, nor would I recommend them to anyone. The experience was completely awful — I find it pretty ****** that someone's abysmal handling of business could lead me to question if they were being truthful about being in the hospital. Thinking such a thing made me feel pretty damn lousy, but after all of the delays, inconsistencies, and general evasiveness, how else could I view it? At the end of the day, I hope that if he (or "we," whoever that was referring to) actually was having health problems, they have a speedy recovery and feel better soon.

Standard and Strange now stocks these, and despite the fact that they're about a hundred bucks more, I would have 1000000000% been willing to pay that instead of going through all the trouble with Tempo. Plus they at least offer exchanges — I feel very lucky that these ended up fitting me, because I'd have been SOL had they not.
If you ever get the bug to buy RDT again, you should consider ordering from them directly. They ship quickly and I'm pretty sure they speak English -at least they did when I emailed them a couple of times about the Turquoise ostrich cowboy boots they had ( for those interested: they were sold out and no plans at the time of making them again).

Popvulture

Reaction score
That's good to know! I like it when I can do that — I've had good luck with a couple companies and it led to me finding things I wouldn't have been able to get otherwise (sounds like the case for you too).

I'll have to see if I get another pair of RDT down the line, but initial impressions point to that being a possibility, for sure.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Selling my Attractions Lot 444. Looking for $600 shipped Paypal F&F. Have a long-standing ebay account that I can use to verify good faith.

20220324_133628.jpg

20220324_133637.jpg

20220324_133640.jpg

20220324_133705.jpg

20220324_133718.jpg

20220324_133728.jpg

20220324_133756.jpg

RuffyD

Reaction score
If you ever get the bug to buy RDT again, you should consider ordering from them directly. They ship quickly and I'm pretty sure they speak English -at least they did when I emailed them a couple of times about the Turquoise ostrich cowboy boots they had ( for those interested: they were sold out and no plans at the time of making them again).

Yeah, RDT staff are very responsive and helpful. I was debating ordering from them or Tempo, regrettably went for the cheaper option. Although I'm a bit skeptical about their sizing advice, I'm a 11.5 on brannock and they told me to go with 11, hopefully everything works out

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
Yeah, RDT staff are very responsive and helpful. I was debating ordering from them or Tempo, regrettably went for the cheaper option. Although I'm a bit skeptical about their sizing advice, I'm a 11.5 on brannock and they told me to go with 11, hopefully everything works out
Isn't RDT( I think it is called the boots shop) cheaper than any American alternative?

Yeah, from what I can remember reading here RDT isn't exactly reliable on the sizing. Butterscotch recommended 2 sizes down from your normal shoe size. I thought it was too much and sized down by 1 for my RDT Coupen. I could have gone down at least half a size more.

RuffyD

Reaction score
Isn't RDT( I think it is called the boots shop) cheaper than any American alternative?

Yeah, from what I can remember reading here RDT isn't exactly reliable on the sizing. Butterscotch recommended 2 sizes down from your normal shoe size. I thought it was too much and sized down by 1 for my RDT Coupen. I could have gone down at least half a size more.

It was $650 free shipping with Tempo, its ¥ 80,300 excluding tax, shipping and other charges from the boots shop now (I think it was a bit cheaper last year, not sure)

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Although I'm a bit skeptical about their sizing advice, I'm a 11.5 on brannock and they told me to go with 11, hopefully everything works out

I’m a Brannock 7.5E, and I picked up a couple of pairs of these from Standard & Strange, one pair in 6.5 (natural), and the other in 7 (black). Both fit, but I’d go for 7 again if/when Standard & Strange ever gets the burgundy ones in.

With the 6.5, I wear thin to middle thickness socks, and with the 7, I wear middle to thick socks. The reason I’d go 7 again is I like the way in which the larger pair is starting to crease and roll, perhaps due to just a touch more leather to work with Here’s a photo of both pairs. Again, the black is the 7 and the natural is 6.5. I bought the naturals first, so they have more wear.

D671BD29-9783-4ADC-9EF4-596CEA4D0B39.jpeg

FEC7F9D3-CEFD-4DD4-9F51-EB0813CBAD99.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads