• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:bounce2:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be Monday, I hope they fit I hope they fit.

My Lofgren feel pretty good, some heel slip, I know the Clinch are narrower everywhere so I fully expect them to be tight in my forefoot and not a lot of slip since the heel is tighter, and I also hope I can get them off!

There's some really extreme 'I want this boot to fit' anecdotes on Reddit.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh right, y'all were waiting.
Got the 9.5US size, feels good. I believe a 9 would have been a worse call. They feel comfortable in a thick sock.

Now I am looking at their other shoes..

E352B750-B6C8-4E4F-B70D-1D7ADB2F79E4.JPG

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh right, y'all were waiting.
Got the 9.5US size, feels good. I believe a 9 would have been a worse call. They feel comfortable in a thick sock.

Now I am looking at their other shoes..

View attachment 1462917
Hows the width? More curious about pinky toe room as thats where I typically have issues even with an average foot. They look great!

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hows the width? More curious about pinky toe room as thats where I typically have issues even with an average foot. They look great!
I'm surprised that these work for me. I went with a 9.5 US, which is .5 bigger than my Lofgren. I don't have a hard time getting them off or on, and heel slip is minimal. I don't think I should have gone with a 9, I have a thumb's width from toes to end of boot when standing, if you have a wider foot I don't know if less room than this is a good idea, but that may be personal preference.

For reference, I am a 9.5 Brannock and I am a 8.5EE or 9E in the Alden Barrie last. Typically 9E in most shoes.

I am now...tempted to save up some $ to get a pair of Clinch Yaeger or Service Shoes or both..

I had tried the 8.5US in the Wide Last and that too felt comfortable, though a lot tighter, no heel slip, and I had a really hard time getting the boots off. I imagine that. 9 in the wide would have worked for me.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that these work for me. I went with a 9.5 US, which is .5 bigger than my Lofgren. I don't have a hard time getting them off or on, and heel slip is minimal. I don't think I should have gone with a 9, I have a thumb's width from toes to end of boot when standing, if you have a wider foot I don't know if less room than this is a good idea, but that may be personal preference.

For reference, I am a 9.5 Brannock and I am a 8.5EE or 9E in the Alden Barrie last. Typically 9E in most shoes.

I am now...tempted to save up some $ to get a pair of Clinch Yaeger or Service Shoes or both..

I had tried the 8.5US in the Wide Last and that too felt comfortable, though a lot tighter, no heel slip, and I had a really hard time getting the boots off. I imagine that. 9 in the wide would have worked for me.
Oh wow so you went TTS. Interesting as thats the first time I think I've heard someone doing that for Clinch.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
I would have been close to TTS in the CN-S last for Yeagers. I am US Brannock 11.5B-C left and 12B right. The largest Yeagers that S&S received was Clinch 11. I tried them. Good toe room but they were too narrow. I'd either be Clinch 11.5 or 12. Unsure so I didn't order more.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some good patina going on these from wearing raw denim.

Talk about making them your own.

IMG_20200923_125324367.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_162518283.jpg
    IMG_20200923_162518283.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Looking at several clinch engineer boots here and on Instagram, it looks like they have a more squared toe as opposed to a rounded one, which I'm liking more and more. Are there any other engineer boots with that or should I start saving up?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at several clinch engineer boots here and on Instagram, it looks like they have a more squared toe as opposed to a rounded one, which I'm liking more and more. Are there any other engineer boots with that or should I start saving up?
Only other maker I think that’s comparable to Clinch would be Role Club RC40 last. Unstructured it gets a similar profile as Clinch in my opinion.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting some break in time on these today.

Don't mind the dog hair.

IMG_20200924_150144294_HDR.jpg

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a half sole for my Clinch boots to reduce some of the heel slip/volume. I put a full insole in and it really filled the boot but perhaps too glove-like for my liking.

additionally..even the best make mistakes. the heel piece had a mis-nailed nail. coming loose. I pulled the bent nail out, straightened it, and nailed it back in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.37.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.37.57 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.38.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.38.05 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.38.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.38.01 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 105

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads