• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japan

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Looking to spend 3-4 days in Tokyo and then 3-4 days someplace else in the country.

what should I do?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Looking to spend 3-4 days in Tokyo and then 3-4 days someplace else in the country.

what should I do?

Pick me up a knife or two?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
homie I'm going to try to do as much carry on luggage as possible.

actually, did look at knife making regions, and they're not particularly touristy. Best bet for knives is find somebody who does all of the sourcing and importing legwork for you ... so Chefs Knives to Go.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

homie I'm going to try to do as much carry on luggage as possible.

actually, did look at knife making regions, and they're not particularly touristy. Best bet for knives is find somebody who does all of the sourcing and importing legwork for you ... so Chefs Knives to Go.

The "real" Masamoto only sells out of the Tsujiki fish market in Tokyo . . .

Leonardo Perez

Reaction score
Try to visit Kyoto and you will enjoy it! you can find unique items or souvenir as well.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can definitely recommend Kyoto as well. Try to go out of your way to find the less touristy temples in the foothills. Some of those places are truly magical in a way I've never experienced before.

Tokyo has a museum district at Ueno station which has some exceptional stuff in it.

Another favorite is the Nezu Museum: modern building designed by Kengo Kuma, set in this wonderful oasis of secluded greenery in the middle Tokyo. It has notable Buddhist and Chinese art, but most famous is the Japanese iris screen that probably inspired Van Gogh.

The F P Journe boutique is also next door if you like watches.

masset1

Reaction score
I recommend Kyoto too like the previous poster.

I can also recommend staying near mount Fuji at a Ryokan (traditional Japanese hotel) for a night on the way to Kyoto. They have hot springs in that area and if the weather plays nice, you can get great views of Mt. Fuji of course.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Second the museum district in Ueno. Stroll from there up to Asakusa and have a wander round.

Go to one of the monstrous department stores on Ginza and check out the food hall. Eat some good sushi and drink shochu.

Buy some Japanese shoes. Buy Japanese woodblock prints in the old bookshops in Kanda. Eat some yakiniku with an ice cold beer.

Go for an onsen.

khakisofcarmel

Reaction score
Just came back from a trip to Japan and I would say both Kyoto and Osaka are great places to visit if your trying to see more than Tokyo. If you're at all into car culture, I would recommend going to Yokohama on Friday nights.

shorts17

Reaction score
If it's just around Tokyo u want to be, Nikko is really nice.
Try to go to Kyoto, Specially if the time is limited Tokyo and Kyoto is a must

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years and years ago before it was as seemingly structured as it is today - I think they claim to limit to 50 or 150 tourists a day, or some such? On my last trip, I was lazy, and just rolled into Tsukiji late morning and didn't feel the need to try to do the painfully early auction.

I thought they were allocating tourist spots on a first come, first serve basis? Would having a guide help you short cut that any? That seems suspiciously un-Japanese (as opposed to Italy, where I found myself doing a guided tour in Milan because I couldn't procure a ticket to da Vinci's The Last Supper on my own)

shorts17

Reaction score
Yes 4 days in Tokyo. Go to the fish market, go to Chinatown in Yokohama, Shop in Harajuku, shop in Shinjuku and Shibuya, eat in Megura area walking back from Tokyo Tower. Go to Ueno park and have some street food there! Ikebukuro has some cool drinking places.
Kyoto I higly recommended too specially for sghtseeing. You can also go to Nara from there, and Hiroshima.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads