• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japan trip, but only for ~10 days -- good idea?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking a trip to Japan this December (I've always wanted to visit onsen/ryokan in the winter), but my school schedule wouldn't permit more than ten days or so. Would a trip of this length be more trouble than it's worth? I am not an experienced traveler, but I would have the aide of a) a Japanese-speaking friend and b) several people he knows in Japan (who may also be willing to give us free lodging).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I'm considering taking a trip to Japan this December (I've always wanted to visit onsen/ryokan in the winter), but my school schedule wouldn't permit more than ten days or so. Would a trip of this length be more trouble than it's worth? I am not an experienced traveler, but I would have the aide of a) a Japanese-speaking friend and b) several people he knows in Japan (who may also be willing to give us free lodging).

I think if you're only going to a few places, that'd be a fine trip. Are you talking about Tokyo or other places in Japan?

mizanation

Reaction score
10 days is enough time to get a crash course.

i wouldn't go to more than two cities though. one of them should be tokyo, and the other would be the place with the onsen/ryokan. i wouldn't spend more than 2 days at the ryokan, which leaves 8 days to explore tokyo.

have a good trip!

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tokyo is definitely at the top of the list. I'm not familiar with geographical placement of the onsen, but I would like to visit one which is more out of the way (I don't know if this means that it would not be tied directly to one of the city centers). My perfect onsen vision is being in an outdoor pool on a hillside while it is snowing. I don't know how regional weather in Japan varies during winter, but I've heard it gets significantly colder to the north (Hokkaido?).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can pay for the whole trip by taking pre-orders for Japanese clothing items from forum members and charging a fee for your services.
teacha.gif

Jon.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, go.

Don't think about it. Just do it!

If you need any Tokyo-on-the-cheap recommendations let me know.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I definitely will, thanks.

abc123

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but to China. 2 weeks to do Shanghai, Beijing, and hopfully HK? Would love to get to Japan too, but that just isn't going ot happen for awhile. A lot of travel for only 12 days there, but its probably the only time I'll be able to do it for at least 5 years.

Any good sources for cheap airfare to that area of the world?

summej2

Reaction score
10 days is certainly enough. I'd actually suggest staying out of Tokyo on a first trip, but then I'm not particularly a club guy or a night-life guy (yes, oldish and married). If you have a someone who knows the language with you, so much more of the country is open to you. Personally, I'd go up to the Sendai area (a Boston-like city with great onsen nearby in Naruko and the Matsushima area close by too) or up to Hokkaido. Rural Japan is cool in a different way than Tokyo or Osaka. Speaking of Osaka, you could go to the Kinki area too. I'm not as familiar with the onsen there, but Osaka is a posh city with a seedy underbelly only it could have and great food. Rural Kinki has monasteries and interesting little sea-side towns. Plus there is a whale shark in Osaka and just being near all that chi will be energizing. Edit: just found this from Naruko http://jpatokal.iki.fi/photo/travel/...Roten_Day2.JPG

mizanation

Reaction score
if you don't go to tokyo, you will be missing out on a lot. please go to tokyo and enjoy the marvels of the great city.

btw, that onsen looks beautiful.

jez

Reaction score
I only went for 5 days and although i was sick, sitting by myself in an onsen at night overlooking Mt. Fuji made up for everything. Everything.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 days is very do-able. If you get one of those Japan Railways pass (I think it is around $300 for 7 days) you can get around basically anywhere in japan.

You probably should take at least one day for Kyoto.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but to China. 2 weeks to do Shanghai, Beijing, and hopfully HK? Would love to get to Japan too, but that just isn't going ot happen for awhile. A lot of travel for only 12 days there, but its probably the only time I'll be able to do it for at least 5 years.

Any good sources for cheap airfare to that area of the world?

I use AA Travel in Seattle (you can order over the phone) but any travel agent that is in Chinatown or around a significant asian population is your best bet. I got my tickets to Japan and back for $300 less using AA rather than going to AAA or my family travel agent.

To OP I say go, you will have an awesome time. Just think about it, HOT cans of coffee from the vending machine, heated seats on the train, and a hot steamy onsen in a snow covered mountain. Sounds like a hell of a time to me. If you want to kinda get out of town and be more around an area with snow maybe a trip to Nagano is in order, Hokkaido is pretty far out of the way if you are staying in Tokyo.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
If you want to kinda get out of town and be more around an area with snow maybe a trip to Nagano is in order, Hokkaido is pretty far out of the way if you are staying in Tokyo.

Yeah, that area would be a very good option if Tokyo is your base; I didn't mean to sound so down on Tokyo. I lived in Hamamatsu, so I'm a certified small-town guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads